Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy Joe Mauer Theory???

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I was expecting this thread to focus on whether Joe had stopped using Head and Shoulders shampoo.
    I switched to the Target off-brand of shampoo--same product for half the price. Rumor has it that Target has an endorsement deal lined up with Eric Hosmer.

2. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (06-21-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I don't think there's much, if any evidence for that.
    You shoulda seen the life on Nolan Ryan's knuckleball.

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-21-2014)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still believe he's dealing with post-concussion issues. He'll be back to his normal old self when the team is contending (cause if he's not, they won't be).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,591 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I still believe he's dealing with post-concussion issues. He'll be back to his normal old self when the team is contending (cause if he's not, they won't be).
    Hah. Good way to put it.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    I switched to the Target off-brand of shampoo--same product for half the price. Rumor has it that Target has an endorsement deal lined up with Eric Hosmer.
    Yeah, I hear the Target brand gets the red out:

8. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (06-21-2014)

Blog Entries
    Anecdotal evidence is virtually useless*, but my wife suffered from double vision for a year after a bike accident, then it suddenly corrected itself (as the doctors thought it might, rather than take action), and has not recurred in the several years since. Brains and eyes are tricky, and while I doubt Joe is suffering from something as overt as my wife had, because they'd shut him down if only for his own safety everywhere on the field, it still could be that a month or a year from now Joe wakes up and starts being Joe again.

*When did that ever stop me?

10. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (06-23-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's dealing with the pressure of expectation as well as a full time move from the only real professional position he has known. But...but...Mauer is a real professional hitter with a natural ability. And perhaps these things have tightened him up, helping to manifest pressure. But at the end of the day, I am also in the camp that however concussion symptoms work themselves out, he still isn't there yet.

With all regard to those who have suffered, the Twins have had to deal with more than their share of concussion syndrome in regard to Koskie, then Morneaue and now Mauer. Has any team had more key players deal with this issue than the Twins in recent history?

The hope is that vision, timing, quick twitch muscles, confidence, whatever, returns to Mauer eventually if not sooner. Not only for the Twins, but also for himself. Instead of bashing Mauer, everyone should be hoping for the best for him.

say what you will, 28 million in the bank takes LOT OF "STRIVING" OUT OF YOU, but I do think the twins "help" also

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    say what you will, 28 million in the bank takes LOT OF "STRIVING" OUT OF YOU, but I do think the twins "help" also
    You have a lot of experience with 28 mil in the bank, do you?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    You have a lot of experience with 28 mil in the bank, do you?
    Moderator's note: You left out the smiley face, which I am helpfully providing.

Last edited by ashburyjohn; 06-22-2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: fix the smiley

15. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (06-21-2014), jokin (06-21-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Moderator's note: You left out the smiley face, which I am helpfully providing.

This must no doubt be the moderator-tension-defusing Haight-Asbury bookend to the Snepp from SD approach:

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post

I think the post-concussion concerns are likely legit. I wonder also if Joe knew a move to 1B would make earning an all-star bid at home much more difficult than at C, and got himself out of sorts trying to do too much outside of his skill set.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not one to stand in the way of half-drunk ideas being great, so I'll try not to rain on your parade.

At this point, I'd be more inclined to believe that Aaron Hicks would have more success raising his BA 40 points than Joe Mauer does. I think both will be better going forward, and I really hope the Twins bring back Hicks sooner than later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    At this point, I'd be more inclined to believe that Aaron Hicks would have more success raising his BA 40 points than Joe Mauer does.
    Where do you put Florimon on this spectrum?

20. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-22-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AWOLNATION_11 View Post
    I think the post-concussion concerns are likely legit. I wonder also if Joe knew a move to 1B would make earning an all-star bid at home much more difficult than at C, and got himself out of sorts trying to do too much outside of his skill set.
    Good point. I think the all-star game is probably an exacerbating factor. He mentioned a number of times last year how cool it would be to play at home in an all-star game. While his subpar play has got to bother him largely just for how it effects the team, it had to have been on his mind the longer he played poorly the greater the chance of a once a life time opportunity (playing an all-star game at home) goes down the drain. He is already doing ambassador duties, so it not something he can just pretend is not happening. He has been an elite player who undoubtedly has the ego of an elite player (not meant as a slam). It has to be a bitter pill to swallow that he is just going to be a figurehead and has to go around being host to players who made the team when he did not.

Hopefully this will all be past-tense speculation sometime relatively soon. There are so many different factors in play (head - back - defensive shifts - aging - all-star game - family life - bad luck - not changing - changing too much - position change - staying up late at night reading Twins Daily and posting as RiverBrian) that we will probably never really know what the real story is.

That joker cat is creepy.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Where do you put Florimon on this spectrum?
    P-Flo has got to go... back to AAA.

Chances that Flo raises his BA 40 points? Same chance I have for getting lucky with Miss Universe. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Notta. No way Jose.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    It's all about conditioner, I'm telling you!

I mean conditioning.

I mean I'm glad the White Sox came to town so Joe could get his groove back for at least this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12