Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't understand why hitters don't take advantage of this situation

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    OK. Got to think context. CONTEXT. Who do they shift like this? Adam Dunn, David Ortiz.

OK. Let's say they do bunt towards third and it is a good bunt. Then they got to RUN to first base.

Are you sure that the third baseman (from the SS position) or the pitcher cannot get to the ball and throw to the first baseman before any of those gentlemen reach safe?

They do not shift fast people...
    Even Ortiz could outrun a bunt with a shift, provided he can get it past the pitcher. The run and throw from a third baseman coming from short would be insanely difficult.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure the Twins would happily give up a bunt single to Adam Dunn or David Ortiz.

3. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-20-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And this has nothing to do with any unwritten rule stuff.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    With no third baseman, it makes sense to me to drop a hard bunt down the third base line quite often. You don't have to bunt it well, you just have to get it between the pitcher and third base, and in reality, the harder the bunt the better.

If walks are good because OBP is good, bunting for a base hit, when you have a very high chance of success, is gotta be good, right? With the added bonus that if you are good enough at it, you might force teams to abandon the shift, or modify it severely, and now you're not hitting into the teeth of a shift.

Now if Adam Dunn comes up with 2 on, 2 out, trailing by 2 or three, I don't want him bunting for a hit. Most other times, it seems like LH hitters should do it more often.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    With no third baseman, it makes sense to me to drop a hard bunt down the third base line quite often. You don't have to bunt it well, you just have to get it between the pitcher and third base, and in reality, the harder the bunt the better.

If walks are good because OBP is good, bunting for a base hit, when you have a very high chance of success, is gotta be good, right? With the added bonus that if you are good enough at it, you might force teams to abandon the shift, or modify it severely, and now you're not hitting into the teeth of a shift.

Now if Adam Dunn comes up with 2 on, 2 out, trailing by 2 or three, I don't want him bunting for a hit. Most other times, it seems like LH hitters should do it more often.

The thing is all these hitters would have to do is not even bunt, but adjust the back foot that would change the angle. Just an inch either way. Do that and you can't help but hit the ball where they are not. I used to get shifted on in Babe Ruth and in highschool ball which is 100% comparably with MLB and that's what I did. You cant swing across you body is forces you to hit the ball where you plant... If Joe wanted to pull the ball to beat the shift he would need to go with a more wide open stance. However its very difficult for players who have done something for along time and had success to change. Just like anything else, but success can lead to complacency. Hell you wouldn't even need to change you feet, but cut down your swing. Eventually, team will have to play you honest. I always though shifting was kind of cowardly...Smart but cowardly.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Everything you just said is exactly correct.

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    And of course, on the day I happen to post this, Adam Dunn tries to bunt his way on.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    @nickcafardo 14m
    David Ortiz has been practicing going the other way the last two days in BP. He did it successfully in the fifth, breaking the shift.

Progress!!!

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Robinson Cano is my favorite baseball player of the day.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/12/16/5...-shifts-future

If I played in the mlb I would enjoy free hits.

12. This user likes brendanlake31's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Stan Zbornak (06-21-2014)

How extreme can a shift be?

Is there any rule requiring the use of a catcher? Theoretically, if no one is on base, there could be an advantage to putting the catcher into the field. The umpire probably wouldn't like it, but is there a rule saying you have to have a player catch?
    Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.

The catcher has to be in his box when the pitch is released. I saw a catchers balk called one time on a pitchout.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Bunt Attempts/Threats
    Recently, Inside Edge reconfigured their software to allow the recording of attempted and threatened bunts to beat the shift in addition to those that were actually put in play. This is obviously pretty important; as many of you have pointed out, looking at how often bunts against the shift in fair territory result in hits tells us something, but the rate at which hitters fail to get the bunt down is also an important part of the picture. Yes, players are batting .625 when they drop a bunt down against the shift so far this season, which would seem to make bunting a no-brainer, but to say so for sure, we need to determine how often attempts come up empty. To that effect, here’s the latest list of threatened/attempted bunts from the past week that led to fouls or taken balls or strikes. Eventually, we’ll have a large enough sample to say something about how often bunt attempts give birth to bunts.
    Date
    Runners
    Hitter
    Balls
    Strikes
    Inning
    Outs
    Pitcher
    Event
    Shift
    Pitch Result
    6/15
    Bunt Hit Att.
    F
    6/16
    Bunt Hit Att.
    F
    6/16
    Bunt Hit Att.
    F
    6/17
    Bunt Hit Att.
    Taken Strike
    6/17
    Bunt Hit Att.
    F
    6/17
    Bunt Hit Att.
    Taken Ball
    6/18
    Bunt Hit Att.
    F
    6/18
    Jeremy Guthrie
    Bunt Hit Att.
    F
    6/18
    Bunt Hit Att.
    F
    SSS obviously, but I think this snapshot shows how hard bunting is. There are tradeoffs in giving away outs and strikes when you don't get it down. Bunting isn't easy or automatic by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    The catcher has to be in his box when the pitch is released. I saw a catchers balk called one time on a pitchout.
    This is discussed in the rules of baseball, 4.03.

Interestingly, it also says all other fielders must be in fair territory when the pitch is delivered. This would negate the "invite pitch" made famous in The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings.
    Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12