Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 153

Thread: Game Thread: Twins v White Sox, 6/21 @ 1:10pm CT

  1. #1
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,813
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,416
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts

    Game Thread: Twins v White Sox, 6/21 @ 1:10pm CT

    Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 85.

    White Sox:
    SP, Rienzo

    Eaton CF
    Beckham 2B
    Gillaspie 3B
    Abreu 1B
    Dunn DH
    Ramirez SS
    Viciedo RF
    De Aza LF
    Nieto C

    Twins:
    SP, Correia

    Santana SS
    Dozier 2B
    Mauer DH
    Morales 1B
    Arcia RF
    Suzuki C
    Parmelee LF
    Escobar 3B
    Fuld CF

    ---------------------------
    Okay, Bri, go to it. I think these lineups will give you a few things to think about, not that you need any help as your brain seems bursting with plenty to work with!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    It's long been assumed that my brain burst along time ago. I used to love the taste of paint chips.

    Things to think About:

    1. Andre Rienzo -- He's 25 years old and from the baseball hotbed known as San Paulo Brazil. I'd imagine that the entire country of Brazil will have the TV's on and their eyes glued to it as they watch every pitch thrown by Rienzo with heavy anticipation. There is nothing else going on in Brazil to capture their attention. Rienzo is struggling this year with a current 5.67 ERA. In his last two starts he has given up 6 and 7 earned runs. However... he shouldn't be faulted for this... Because he's from southern half of the globe. It's technically Winter in Brazil and therefore his off season. On the other side of the equator everything is the opposite... Things circle around the drain the opposite way... In Brazil and Patagonia... Curveballs break the opposite way. Just try to imagine what it's like to learn how to pitch with a curveball that breaks one way and all of a sudden it reverses on you as a pitcher when you come North. Of course he's going to struggle!!! Despite this handicap... Rienzo became the first pitcher from Brazil to ever win a game in MLB. This puts Rienzo on the same list with other famous firsts... Such as Adam and Eve... Marco Polo and George Washington.

    2. Oswaldo Arcia -- Uff Da... After an 0-3 last night. He is now 0 for his last 21. He could go 4-4 today and be 4 for 25 and that would only be a .160 stretch of baseball. He had sat two games prior as the Twins tried to convince him to stop trying to hit the ball to Olmstead county every single time he swung. So... Here's the good news... Oswaldo did not strike out last night. It may seem like baby steps but it's really a big giant leap for mankind. Oswaldo will hit home runs when he hits the ball solid. He doesn't need to swing harder... he just needs to square it up.

    3. Josh Willingham -- Takes a seat on the bench today... I think this good... Parmelee has been hitting decently in limited chances and Willingham was a little clanky in the field last night in the 9th. Arcia may be worse of late but Hammer has been a little all or nothing at the plate as his BA has plummeted in recent weeks. I think you can start talking about Brian Dozier the same. Brian has made himself into a power hitter and he could be sacrificing other parts of his game to be a power guy. With that said... Nice clutch single last night Brian!!!

    4. Eduardo Escobar -- I used to be a pretty consistent supporter of Pedro Florimon because of his defensive skill. The honest truth was that I didn't know what we had in Eduardo Escobar because he didn't get a bunch of chances to play and when he did... he was nothing but ordinary. Things have changed in 2014. I no longer support Florimon because Florimon is hitting around .100 which is just too low to support ever. Meanwhile... Escobar has grabbed a hold of a starting spot and it starting to look non-fluky to me. Escobar is looking like a ball player to the bone and ball players are guys I get behind. Last night with the bases loaded he went down and lined a double down the line. Clutch... I tell you... it was Clutch... This drove in 2 runs and put a runner on third who was then drove in with a Fuld sac fly. It's easy to say that Escobar was responsible for 3 Twin runs on the board and that brings us to the ninth. With Escobar on 2nd... Dozier jammed a liner into LF. Viciedo picked up the ball in mid LF as Escobar was touching 3B and rounding it and being waved in. I was screaming at the TV... NO NO NO... He doesn't have a chance. Luckily Viciedo took about two minutes to throw the ball and even after delivering an accurate throw to the plate. Escobar was able to reach his right hand around the catcher and score. That was a ball player slide... and Escobar is a ball player!!! No doubt about it... Escobar played a role in 4 of the Twins 5 runs and he won that game for us. While we wait for Dozier, Mauer, Hammer, Kendrys and Arcia to snap out of it... Thank Goodness we have a ball player in Edaurdo Escobar.

    5. Nagging -- I spent last night watching the Twins with a friend who had invited me over. He's had a girlfriend for the past year and let me tell you... Is she ever trying to teach him stuff. We were just trying to watch the Twins game and she'd come around and tell him to sit up straight if he slightly slouched in his chair... She said his third beer was way too much... The TV was too loud... The bag of Doritos were not good for him and his fingers were all orange now and he'd have to wash his hands. Certain stories that he told were not interesting to her and she felt that he shouldn't bore other people with his stories. It was pretty rough to watch. I didn't want to inject myself into the situation so I sat quietly and observed it all. When he went to the bathroom to wash his hands. She apologized to me for his behavior. Well now... she is dragging me into it and his behavior was perfectly fine to me... it was hers that was making me uncomfortable. So I said... "Don't worry about it... He's over 40 years old and entitled to be himself in his own home". To which she replied... "I'm just trying to make him a better person"... To Which I replied... "I'd be careful... If you make him a better person... He might go find a better girlfriend who doesn't mind his orange fingers." (Pause)... "Can you pass me the Doritos"?
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 06-21-2014 at 12:47 PM.

  2. These 6 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Circus Boy (06-21-2014), glunn (06-21-2014), JB_Iowa (06-21-2014), sampleSizeOfOne (06-21-2014), USAFChief (06-21-2014), Willihammer (06-21-2014)

  3. #2
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Looks like Gardy made that substitution in LF of Parmelee-for-Willingham one inning too late.

    And apparently, the day-game-after-night-game switch to DH is now in effect for Mauer at First Base?

  4. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    MichiganTwins (06-21-2014)

  5. #3
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Which is the bigger oddity?

    1) The White Sox have both a Brazilian (Rienzo) and a Colombian (Quintana) on their pitching staff.

    2) The White Sox have two native Minnesotans (Petricka- Northfield.... and Putnam- Rochester) on their pitching staff.

  6. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (06-21-2014)

  7. #4
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,813
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,416
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Looks like Gardy made that substitution in LF of Parmelee-for-Willingham one inning too late.

    And apparently, the day-game-after-night-game switch to DH is now in effect for Mauer at First Base?
    Well, for today it would seem. Probably think that it's time to give Morales a look at 1st to see where he's at.

  8. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    219
    Like
    43
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Hey look 2 days in a row, Santana has seen some time at SS and we are playing an actual outfielder in CF.

  9. #6
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    198
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Hey look 2 days in a row, Santana has seen some time at SS and we are playing an actual outfielder in CF.
    That is fine, but the best overall shortstop is playing third base.

  10. #7
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    That is fine, but the best overall shortstop is playing third base.
    You do mean "as of today", right?

  11. #8
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,220
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    My favorite rendition of Ode to Joy. For today, anyway.

    http://youtu.be/BzEHItrTMHM
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

  12. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (06-21-2014)

  13. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    739
    Like
    56
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    And the best 3rd base is playing 3rd base!
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    That is fine, but the best overall shortstop is playing third base.

  14. #10
    Escobar's performance makes Gardenhire's first day of spring training proclamation "Florimon's my shortstop" all the more unacceptable. The Twins suffered through nearly two months of wretched hitting because Petey was Gardy's guy.

  15. This user likes Othercousin 324's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-21-2014)

  16. #11
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Othercousin 324 View Post
    Escobar's performance makes Gardenhire's first day of spring training proclamation "Florimon's my shortstop" all the more unacceptable. The Twins suffered through nearly two months of wretched hitting because Petey was Gardy's guy.
    Escobar has been held up as evidence of somebody's incompetence ever since he was acquired by the Twins.

  17. #12
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Othercousin 324 View Post
    Escobar's performance makes Gardenhire's first day of spring training proclamation "Florimon's my shortstop" all the more unacceptable. The Twins suffered through nearly two months of wretched hitting because Petey was Gardy's guy.
    Bingo. And as ST progressed, and it became more and more, first surgically obvious, and then painfully-at-the-plate obvious, that Florimon was unable to swing a major league bat; meanwhile, Gardy had Danny Santana tearing up the Grapefruit League. I know I endorsed starting out Santan with the Twins on a look-see basis, to share the SS duties along with Escobar, until/if the day arrived that Florimon was able to regain some semblance of a swing in AAA. It sure seems like bad personnel evaluation, both before, and after the fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Escobar has been held up as evidence of somebody's incompetence ever since he was acquired by the Twins.
    Only this time, the evidence is in. FWIW, Esco is still a utility guy in my book, but beating out Florimon didn't take much, and really shouldn't have surprised anybody.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-21-2014 at 01:25 PM.

  18. #13
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    1) The White Sox have both a Brazilian (Rienzo) and a Colombian (Quintana) on their pitching staff.
    3logo.jpeg

    The above is what I found when I googled "a Colombian". I can not show you what I found when I googled "a Brazilian".

  19. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-21-2014), USAFChief (06-21-2014), Willihammer (06-21-2014)

  20. #14
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    3logo.jpeg

    The above is what I found when I googled "a Colombian". I can not show you what I found when I googled "a Brazilian".
    I must admit, my interest is piqued. This is why we need a Twins Daily- After Dark Edition!

  21. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (06-21-2014), Circus Boy (06-21-2014)

  22. #15
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    "He gaw." Why did I click the wrong button and get the TV feed for the Bad Guys by mistake?

  23. #16
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post

    4. Eduardo Escobar -- I used to be a pretty consistent supporter of Pedro Florimon because of his defensive skill. The honest truth was that I didn't know what we had in Eduardo Escobar because he didn't get a bunch of chances to play and when he did... he was nothing but ordinary. Things have changed in 2014. I no longer support Florimon because Florimon is hitting around .100 which is just too low to support ever. Meanwhile... Escobar has grabbed a hold of a starting spot and it starting to look non-fluky to me. Escobar is looking like a ball player to the bone and ball players are guys I get behind. Last night with the bases loaded he went down and lined a double down the line. Clutch... I tell you... it was Clutch... This drove in 2 runs and put a runner on third who was then drove in with a Fuld sac fly. It's easy to say that Escobar was responsible for 3 Twin runs on the board and that brings us to the ninth. With Escobar on 2nd... Dozier jammed a liner into LF. Viciedo picked up the ball in mid LF as Escobar was touching 3B and rounding it and being waved in. I was screaming at the TV... NO NO NO... He doesn't have a chance. Luckily Viciedo took about two minutes to throw the ball and even after delivering an accurate throw to the plate. Escobar was able to reach his right hand around the catcher and score. That was a ball player slide... and Escobar is a ball player!!! No doubt about it... Escobar played a role in 4 of the Twins 5 runs and he won that game for us. While we wait for Dozier, Mauer, Hammer, Kendrys and Arcia to snap out of it... Thank Goodness we have a ball player in Edaurdo Escobar.
    I'm telling you, the guy gets no respect, even when he's being praised to the hilt.

    Esco is Newmie to the Nth degree.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-21-2014 at 01:31 PM.

  24. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (06-21-2014)

  25. #17
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I must admit, my interest is piqued.
    I also tried googling the combination of both search terms. Juan Valdez after his visit to Rio isn't an image I wanted my retinas scarred with.

  26. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-21-2014), Riverbrian (06-21-2014)

  27. #18
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'm telling you, the guy gets no respect, even when he's being praised to the hilt.
    Not to mention, we just caused that error he was charged with.

  28. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-21-2014), Riverbrian (06-21-2014)

  29. #19
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    "He gaw." Why did I click the wrong button and get the TV feed for the Bad Guys by mistake?
    And now their PBP guy mentions someone named ar-SEE-ya. Too lazy to learn the opponents' names, apparently.

  30. #20
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    When he went to the bathroom to wash his hands. She apologized to me for his behavior. Well now... she is dragging me into it and his behavior was perfectly fine to me... it was hers that was making me uncomfortable. So I said... "Don't worry about it... He's over 40 years old and entitled to be himself in his own home". To which she replied... "I'm just trying to make him a better person"... To Which I replied... "I'd be careful... If you make him a better person... He might go find a better girlfriend who doesn't mind his orange fingers." (Pause)... "Can you pass me the Doritos"?
    So, how long until you were in the bathroom washing your hands? Did you go willingly on your own or did she have to lead you there?
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 06-21-2014 at 01:39 PM.

  31. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (06-21-2014)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.