Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Stays and Who Goes?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who Stays and Who Goes?

According to Phil Miller, the Twins will add a bench player when they go on the road.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...264159531.html

A relief pitcher will be sent down and of the candidates only Thielbar has an option. Will they let someone go? This is particularly perplexing because Trevor Plouffe and Eduardo Nuñez are eligible to come off the in a week and at that point more transactions will occur.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Twins are shopping Guerrier, Burton and Deduno. If there are no bites, Thielbar might go down.

When Plouffe and Nunez (and Hicks) go off the DL, there will be other options to go down or out and Florimon and Parmelee and Santana will head that list.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that the Twins are shopping Guerrier, Burton and Deduno. If there are no bites, Thielbar might go down.

When Plouffe and Nunez (and Hicks) go off the DL, there will be other options to go down or out and Florimon and Parmelee and Santana will head that list.
    Santana? I would think as long as he keeps hitting and playing a passable CF he will stay up?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Santana? I would think as long as he keeps hitting and playing a passable CF he will stay up?
    Florimon, sure. He's not playing and he's not a utility guy. Parm--he's swinging fairly well right now. I expect he'll start at least one game in Anaheim. Santana--if the o-fers pile up. Arcia--He's below .200 and continues to be less than graceful in right field. He's my choice if both Nuñez and Plouffe return as early as July 1. I don't know which position player will be called up and frankly there is no one in the organization that really makes sense to me unless they create a spot on the 40-man roster.

5. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-23-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Florimon, sure. He's not playing and he's not a utility guy. Parm--he's swinging fairly well right now. I expect he'll start at least one game in Anaheim. Santana--if the o-fers pile up. Arcia--He's below .200 and continues to be less than graceful in right field. He's my choice if both Nuñez and Plouffe return as early as July 1. I don't know which position player will be called up and

frankly there is no one in the organization that really makes sense to me unless they create a spot on the 40-man roster.
    It's no secret that the bench without Plouffe and Nunez is horrendous right now. Doug Bernier went 4-5 today (.424/.487/.515/1.012 in his last 10 games and BA .307/OPS .812 on the season) and would offer a much better utility bench option than Florimon....plus, who would claim Bernier once he became expendable? Then, the Twins just have to find the guy off the 40-man to DFA, that either won't be claimed or determine that it's no loss, if claimed.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope they give Parmelee some more chances. I think they should also give AAA 3B Romero
    a chance in the majors. I also expect Thielbar to probably go down. I wonder if we'll ever see Ryan Pressly pitch.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    doesnt swarsak still have sn option? Not saying that is probable

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins need to be realistic, bite the bullet, and DFA Deduno. His stuff is electric, but IMO a major league team cannot afford to roster a guy who is that inconsistent. I doubt he is picked up, and I suppose that means the Twins would have to eat his salary. That also would leave only one long man in the bullpen (Swarzack). Why not put Pino there, and bring up May? That doesn't solve the bench problem, but makes the pitching staff much better.

10. These 5 users like curt1965's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LordByron21 (06-23-2014), mike wants wins (06-23-2014), MWLFan (06-23-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-23-2014), TheLeviathan (06-23-2014)

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by curt1965 View Post
    The Twins need to be realistic, bite the bullet, and DFA Deduno. His stuff is electric, but IMO a major league team cannot afford to roster a guy who is that inconsistent. I doubt he is picked up, and I suppose that means the Twins would have to eat his salary. That also would leave only one long man in the bullpen (Swarzack). Why not put Pino there, and bring up May? That doesn't solve the bench problem, but makes the pitching staff much better.
    Completely agree with this. I don't think he gets claimed either and we can hopefully get him to AAA.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    How is losing Deduno a huge issue? They have 3-4 more guys in AAA about that good or better already, probably. This is the issue with having a bunch of guys over 30 on the roster, lack of options and flexibility. Veterans!
    Lighten up Francis....

13. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-23-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Before I just let Deduno go, I'd check with the Yankees. They are desperate for starters. They gave us Nunez for Sulbaran. Maybe we could get the rights to A-roid (LOL). They might have a useful piece in the minors for Deduno.

15. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LordByron21 (06-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I'm guessing the main hold up with cutting ties with Deduno (from a fans perspective) is the knowlege that he has such great stuff there will always be the possibilty the Pirates, Cardinals, A's or another team with a history of getting the best out of pitchers with huge question marks know exactly how to fix him and we miss out on the reward.

Still doesn't do the Twins any good to keep him if they can't figure out how to fix him.

Blog Entries
    If a pitcher is let go (in some form), I too think it should be Deduno. However, I really think they should just roll with 13 pitchers for another week, when Nunez and Plouffe are eligible to come off the DL. There is no one that can really help (RH hitting OF) at Rochester and trying to get someone on the 40-man might cost a future helpful player. A week from today--Plouffe and Nunez for Florimon and Deduno, that is unless injuries intervene.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 473 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    If a pitcher is let go (in some form), I too think it should be Deduno. However, I really think they should just roll with 13 pitchers for another week, when Nunez and Plouffe are eligible to come off the DL. There is no one that can really help (RH hitting OF) at Rochester and trying to get someone on the 40-man might cost a future helpful player. A week from today--Plouffe and Nunez for Florimon and Deduno, that is unless injuries intervene.
    This is the correct answer and if someone claims Deduno, meh.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

19. This user likes GCTF's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-23-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm guessing the main hold up with cutting ties with Deduno (from a fans perspective) is the knowlege that he has such great stuff there will always be the possibilty the Pirates, Cardinals, A's or another team with a history of getting the best out of pitchers with huge question marks know exactly how to fix him and we miss out on the reward.

Still doesn't do the Twins any good to keep him if they can't figure out how to fix him.
    He looked pretty fixed last year and wasn't horrible the year before. It really is only his last few starts. He was really good in the pen so I wouldn't be so hasty in getting rid of him.

We seem to want to rush out and get rid of our depth (Swarzak, Burton, Deduno, Corriea, Guerrier, and Deunsing and even Theilbar are names that get tossed around a lot lately) too hastily so we can get what we can out of the minor leagues and have no available depth down there should we need it later. I get wanting to get rid of Corriea or maybe Burton or Swarzak so we can bring up 1 pitcher but to get rid of all of these guys and bring up the AAA staff is insane.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No way does Santana get sent down. He has been the ignitor at the top of this lineup and has brought a lot of energy to the team. He may not be piling up the stats he was at the beginning, but he is still playing good ball. He is bound to go through some struggles eventually, why not let him work through it? I feel he has earned that right. Arcia needs to be given patience and cannot be sent down every time he struggles mightily. Eventually, if he is going to be a good MLB player, which I believe he will be, he is going to need to learn to work through these struggles at the big leagues. My vote is to DFA Deduno or try and move Burton for a bench bat. Maybe trade him to St. Louis for Jon Jay? I've heard he has fallen out of favor there. I have no problem sending Florimon back down since Escobar can play SS, but that'd mean you'd have to call up a 3B like Romero to play. I'd say trading a reliever or DFA Deduno is the most likely option.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Manager Ron Gardenhire said before today's game that the team is discussing reducing the bullpen to seven relievers, instead of the eight they are carrying now, in order to add another position player to the bench.
    and what almost always fails to get mentioned in these articles is that a bullpen of seven relievers is the norm across the league, not the exception.

Here's the list of other AL teams carrying 13 pitchers, as of today:

- Cleveland.

Not saying 13 pitchers is wrong but it's amazing how much anguish Gardenhire goes through with bullpens and catchers!

23. These 2 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-23-2014), jokin (06-23-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    and what almost always fails to get mentioned in these articles is that a bullpen of seven relievers is the norm across the league, not the exception.

Here's the list of other AL teams carrying 13 pitchers, as of today:

- Cleveland.

Not saying 13 pitchers is wrong but it's amazing how much anguish Gardenhire goes through with bullpens and catchers!
    The Twins went with a 12-man pitching staff until Pino was recalled. In fact, IIRC, Deduno hasn't pitched since he was taken out of the rotation and yesterday was Swarzak's first work since that debacle in Detroit. I think 12 should be sufficient, it is just that there isn't anybody on the 40-man who is a position player and can help the team.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I agree, no need to make a change until the DL guys are ready, unless you are going to give a new player a shot.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I agree, no need to make a change until the DL guys are ready, unless you are going to give a new player a shot.
    It sure would be nice if we have a better pinch-hitting option than Fuld hitting for Florimon with the game on the line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast