Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Stays and Who Goes?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It sure would be nice if we have a better pinch-hitting option than Fuld hitting for Florimon with the game on the line.
    It would, but I don't know who that is, unless you are going to give Romero a shot or, um, there is no one really at AAA or AA, is there?

the Sano/Buxton injuries are hurting this squad for sure.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    I won't shed tears over Deduno, but he still has more upside than Swarzak, IMO. Neither is likely to be a Twin past the end of 2014 so I'm not sure it matters that much, but I'd rather start Deduno in a pinch and I don't really care who fulfills mop-up duty.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 92 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    and what almost always fails to get mentioned in these articles is that a bullpen of seven relievers is the norm across the league, not the exception.

Here's the list of other AL teams carrying 13 pitchers, as of today:

- Cleveland.

Not saying 13 pitchers is wrong but it's amazing how much anguish Gardenhire goes through with bullpens and catchers!
    Great point! And the only reason Cleveland is carrying 13 pitchers is that they don't need a 5th starter for something like two weeks.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jeremy noted in his minor league report for Monday that Chris Herrmann left the Rochester Red Wings game early for no apparent reason. It probably points to Herrmann being recalled again with a pitcher dispatched. Not a big fan of a move like this, but there aren't many choices on the 40-man roster.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a move might depend on Pino's next start.

If Plouffe and/or Nunez are ready after that takes place: Florimon goes down. That's one. Now the brass gets to decide between Pino, Deduno, and possibly Swarzak.

I just don't buy Thielbar unless the FO is too busy sitting on thumbs. He's a solid and occasionally excellent young LHRP. And you're going to send him down because you can't decide on the best 7th reliever on your team?

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Something needs to happen with Deduno and Florimon...as it is, the Twins are playing with a 23 man roster. Deduno last appeared in a game June 14th, and since his recall Florimon has appeared in 3 games (1 start) with all of two PAs.

Deduno for sure should be off the roster. If he gets claimed, big deal. And the Florimon situation is exactly as some of us said when he was recalled...what good does he do on the roster?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

7. These 8 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-24-2014), Danchat (06-24-2014), GCTF (06-24-2014), mike wants wins (06-24-2014), snepp (06-24-2014), SpiritofVodkaDave (06-24-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (06-24-2014), twinsnorth49 (06-24-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Maybe they were hanging on to Deduno as insurance in case Pino was terrible, but there's no point in carrying a player that is not going to play.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Maybe they were hanging on to Deduno as insurance in case Pino was terrible, but there's no point in carrying a player that is not going to play.
    If Pino was terrible, there are four other guys starting for Rochester who deserve a shot. I will continue to say there just isn't anything to help the club, on the position player side, in Rochester.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Having both Plouffe and Nuñez out at the same time really limits the team's options in the infield. Florimon only playing SS (or, in this case, not playing SS) means the Twins are stuck with only one option at 3rd. Thankfully, Escobar has been great over there too. I wonder if they give Dozier a day off when Plouffe returns - at least one of Santana, Dozier, or Escobar should be getting some rest soon.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Having both Plouffe and Nuñez out at the same time really limits the team's options in the infield. Florimon only playing SS (or, in this case, not playing SS) means the Twins are stuck with only one option at 3rd. Thankfully, Escobar has been great over there too. I wonder if they give Dozier a day off when Plouffe returns - at least one of Santana, Dozier, or Escobar should be getting some rest soon.
    This team can't afford to have Dozier out of the lineup at this point, and he is about to get at least a few days off in a couple weeks.

Florimon honestly has no real business being on the major league roster. Both Santana/Escobar can handle SS just fine, and if absolutely need be Nunez can handle as well.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    If Pino was terrible, there are four other guys starting for Rochester who deserve a shot. I will continue to say there just isn't anything to help the club, on the position player side, in Rochester.
    Bingo. I think DeDuno is the next pitcher out, either when Pino moves to the pen (and May/Meyer take his spot) or they simply have a roster crunch. I like DeDuno and would prefer he would be unclaimed and stick with the team as he would be nice depth at AAA, however losing him would be no real big loss IMO.

Also after DeDuno I think Swarzak has to be the next man out, he had a solid 2013, but hasn't done a whole lot in his other years including 2014, he isn't bad or anything, I just think they would be better served giving those innings to someone with a bit more upside.

Perkins
    Fien
    Burton
    Theilbar
    Pino
    Burdi
    Duensing/Guerrier

Could be a pretty solid pen in a month or two.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 06-24-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As much as I like Deduno, it's time to shuffle him off the roster and make room for some of the younger guys coming through the system.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Bingo. I think DeDuno is the next pitcher out, either when Pino moves to the pen (and May/Meyer take his spot) or they simply have a roster crunch. I like DeDuno and would prefer he would be unclaimed and stick with the team as he would be nice depth at AAA, however losing him would be no real big loss IMO.
    I think that Meyer's last few starts indicate that the next pitcher who is going to be up is May. But I agree with your assessment of the situation. It would be nice to keep Deduno for depth however if he is gone oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    I think that Meyer's last few starts indicate that the next pitcher who is going to be up is May. But I agree with your assessment of the situation. It would be nice to keep Deduno for depth however if he is gone oh well.
    Yeah, I agree that May is prob the next one up, however this sort of assumes Pino will get a few more starts (hopefully stays effective for us). I really don't see them bringing up May until after the all-star game at this point, as I think having him pitch in the futures game in Target Field could be the perfect "intro to the big leagues" for him. Regardless I think Pino has earned a couple more starts which should cover that timeline anyways.

16. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kdrupp09 (06-24-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Given Meyer's low innings count last season and his recent struggles, I don't think we'll be seeing him in a Twins uniform any time soon.

And I'm okay with that.

May, on the other hand...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Given Meyer's low innings count last season and his recent struggles, I don't think we'll be seeing him in a Twins uniform any time soon.

And I'm okay with that.

May, on the other hand...
    The question is, will Meyer make his Twins debut this season or will he hit his innings limit in Rochester?

The question is, will Meyer make his Twins debut this season or will he hit his innings limit in Rochester?
    Honestly, with the way the rotation is shaping up and assuming May sticks (big assumption) there may not be any room in the rotation for him anyways (unless Correia is traded and Pino falters etc)

What are the odds they give Meyer some innings out of the pen on the big league club?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I think that all depends on Meyer. He's been pretty lousy over his past few starts. If he continues down that path, I think it's questionable that he'll see Minnesota this season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Florimon addition hasn't been temporary. I wish they had given Romero the chance. I know that they would have 40 man roster issues, but they could have been resolved.

Romero has been in the organization for many years. He is having a good year with the bat in AAA and is deserving of the opportunity.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    this is why some of us wanted meyer up early.....so he'd get exposure this year before he hit the wall......
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast