Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/22): The Streak Continues

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Blue Jays seem to be specializing in making Buffalo's roster look like Baltimore's did at one point not so long ago.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The Blue Jays seem to be specializing in making Buffalo's roster look like Baltimore's did at one point not so long ago.
    Maybe they can add to their collection of former Twins by acquring Jared Burton for a bag of balls and/or a DQ Dilly Bar for me.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what else Mitch Garver has left to prove in CR. He now has a .411 OBP on the season with an .898 OPS.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    a DQ Dilly Bar for me.
    Make sure they send enough for everyone

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'm not sure what else Mitch Garver has left to prove in CR. He now has a .411 OBP on the season with an .898 OPS.
    How is his defense? Stuart Turner is playing well in Ft Myers at the moment. I think they're letting the catchers play everyday to develop rather than putting them both on the same team.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    How is his defense? Stuart Turner is playing well in Ft Myers at the moment. I think they're letting the catchers play everyday to develop rather than putting them both on the same team.
    Excellent question. And one that I posed to our resident Cedar Rapids Kernels expert, SD Buhr quite recently. Mr Buhr seems to be of the opinion that Garver handles his catching duties quite well for Low A ball. And therein lies the rub. Garver is too old for this level and I am of the opinion that his development is being hampered by not being challenged more by his own peer/age group.

Sharing of the catching duties is par for the course in the minors, and Garver's bat potentially plays well as a part-time DH. But you're right, the Twins likely want two of their best catching prospects on separate teams. But they did play together last year at E-Town, and Garver caught in 5 less games than Turner, but played more games overall, counting his turns as the DH. Clearly, Turner is thought to be the better prospect behind the plate and he outperformed Garver at E-Town, as he jumped straight to High A ball....but there's no denying that Garver has responded to the challenge with the year he's having with the Kernels.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been wondering on Garver as well...

What's the feeling on Koch (age 25) and Knudson (age 26) at AA? May sound weird, but due to Garver's bat maybe playing better than Turner's, would/could a jump to AA be of value?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I have been wondering on Garver as well...

What's the feeling on Koch (age 25) and Knudson (age 26) at AA? May sound weird, but due to Garver's bat maybe playing better than Turner's, would/could a jump to AA be of value?
    Koch is a hitter. Knudson is a very good defender. They're both well liked/respected in the organization.

Garver's numbers and Turner's numbers (offensively) just can't be compared. Turner's a year younger and at a higher level. I think Garver deserves that opportunity to move up to Ft. Myers, but I don't know how he would compare offensively to Turner. Having him skip FM, I don't think makes sense.