Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: How Can Arcia Bust His Epic Slump?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: How Can Arcia Bust His Epic Slump?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep playing him. The coaches need to do their job. And so does Arcia. There is absolutely no value in AAA left for him.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello is hitting .324 over the last ten games in AAA. Send down Arcia, and bring C.C. up one last time and see if he can ride a hot streak into the All Star break. If not, Arcia or Hicks can come up later in July, and we can put away the cowbells.

4. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (06-24-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I agree with Shane, there is no development value in sending him to AAA. He just looks so list though, it boggles the mind how different he looked just weeks ago. 2-3 more games, no more. He has to earn his spot just like everyone.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I disagree with not demoting him.

He's not going to fight out of the slump by sitting on the bench, and the Twins can't continue to let him flail away out there. He's just not focused, swinging at everything regardless of location, like a left-handed hitting Delmon Young. Whether he's conquered AAA or not, he's got to get his head on straight.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 269 Times in 131 Posts
    Repeat of post on Monday Morning Madness: The second Arcia hit his grand slam, I said to myself: "The slump will begin in 3, 2, 1..." And it did. After a big hit like that, young players want that adrenaline surge every time up, and so they go fish. Now, having expected the slump, I now am confident he's enough of a gamer to correct course and start getting good swings.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    My opinion is if you send him down you are sending him down for the rest of the year. If what he needs to work on is consitency then that takes time to prove. I would give him another week or two before pulling th etrigger on a demotion.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good observations all around. I'm in the keep him, play him camp. Arcia is a major leaguer now; he's got to learn to control his emotions at this level, where the pressure is highest. Young sluggers have to avoid the temptation to swing out of their shoes for home runs. You see how Willingham does it, with a controlled, powerful, repeatable swing. Hammer's homers all travel about the same direction, about the same distance. His swing is very powerful, but it's just a tick under max effort. He also uses situational awareness to narrow his swing zone, and he's willing to take a walk if a pitch isn't in his zone.

Arcia's problems actually started before he turned his ankle. I think a macho contest started right about the day that Morales arrived, along with Josimil Pinto and all the Latin boys hitting well at the same time. Right about then Arcia got into a mindset like he was in not just a home run contest, but a "see who can hit the longest home run" contest. It culminated in his massive grand slam, and since then he's been trying to hit the moon with every swing.

Get it under control, Oswaldo. A 500-foot homer doesn't count any more than one that barely clears the fence - ask Brian Dozier, a guy that's way ahead of you in home runs. Dozier is a perfect example of a guy that has been doing a great job of reading the situation, then being ready to turn on just the right pitch with an aggressive, but not crazy hard swing. Dozier is going to finish ahead of Arcia in home runs this year, and the harder Arcia swings, the farther he will fall behind the second baseman.
    Last edited by jimbo92107; 06-23-2014 at 10:01 AM.

10. These 2 users like jimbo92107's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Circus Boy (06-23-2014), Major Leauge Ready (06-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    AAA isn't a solution. Arcia must solve this problem himself. Bench him--and leave him there (except for pinch-hitting and spot duty (resting a starter for a game) until his replacement proves unworthy or Willingham leaves. Competition for a regular job reopens next Spring training.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    AAA isn't a solution. Arcia must solve this problem himself. Bench him--and leave him there (except for pinch-hitting and spot duty (resting a starter for a game) until his replacement proves unworthy or Willingham leaves. Competition for a regular job reopens next Spring training.
    How does leaving him rot on the bench solve anything for Arcia or the Twins?

13. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (06-24-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if they should send him down or keep him up. But we did see him hit the ball AT people ("hang woofums" - ay yay yay - as Hawk Harrelson calls them), not always scaldingly hard, but he got good wood on those balls. So I guess I am saying keep him up. I believe he will come out of this super-slump shortly. Maybe just into a regular slump, I don't know.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Arcia needs at bats. If sending him to the minors to get them is necessary, then they should do it. However, I also don't believe that sending him down is the right thing. He needs to work out his problems at the big league level if he wants (and the Twins want him) to be a big league hitter. From watching several of his at-bats, I have seen a few things. I have seen him, like usual, fish for those breaking balls well below the knees and also go after the high fastball. However, there have been some signs of life. During the series with Chicago, he scolded 2 line drives right into Abreu's glove, he scorched one that Viciedo was able to reach down and grab in right, and he blasted one to center that Eaton was able to track down in front of the wall (deepest part of the park).

Once he becomes more disciplined at the plate, I think he will be fine. But until then, we will see some struggles. Keep in mind that he only has 493 MLB at-bats. Many players need 1200-2000 at bats to blossom. He may need 1000 more at bats to blossom himself.

16. This user likes jtkoupal's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Circus Boy (06-23-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=jtkoupal;247129] Arcia needs at bats ... Keep in mind that he only has 493 MLB at-bats ...

You said it better than I did. (I haven't had any coffee yet, is my excuse.)

Twitter
    @D__Luxxx
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If it's the ankle, then give him some time to heal. If not on the DL, then at least a few days in a row with some rest and treatment.

If it isn't the ankle, then get him out there and let him swing through his struggles. Maybe drop down a bunt for a hit or concentrate on blasting it right up the middle instead of trying to turn on everything. That's how most professional hitters bust a slump. Try to cream the pitcher with a line drive.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia needs to learn some plate discipline. That, I suspect, will go a long way towards eliminating the famine in his feast/famine routine.

20. These 3 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-24-2014), USAFChief (06-23-2014), Willihammer (06-23-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he's hurt, DL, otherwise some extra time with Bruno is in order. He's got nothing left to prove in AAA.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he should be sent down to regain some confidence. I believe he qualifies for a 4th option year (next year) if he needs it, so there's no need to HAVE to figure it out in the bigs now, especially since there are other guys (Parmelee and Colabello) who might still get one more chance to prove they belong. Plus, if the Twins are competing, the team needs competitive at-bats.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's making more contact in the past few games. I think he's gonna get a few to fall in real soon.

If he goes back to swinging at everything and missing. Then something will have to be done.

He's gotta quit trying to put every ball he swings at in a different zip code.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

He's only 16 hitless at-bats away from tying the all-time worst streak in baseball history of 47, set by Eugenio Velez a few years ago for the Dodgers. I say we ride it out and see how close he gets to the record.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 269 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glanzer View Post
    He's only 16 hitless at-bats away from tying the all-time worst streak in baseball history of 47, set by Eugenio Velez a few years ago for the Dodgers. I say we ride it out and see how close he gets to the record.
    Batted .000 in 2011 in 40 PA, so must have carried over some ABs from the SF Giants in 2010, for whom he batted a respectable .256 over four seasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast