Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan poll for HR derby contestants

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Fan poll for HR derby contestants

I hope MLB.com updated the guys they have listed for the 2014 Home Run Derby. In the AL, you can select Joe Mauer. Seriously, Joe Mauer. They also have Prince Fielder and Bryce Harper, both have been on the DL for how long now.

Joe Mauer and his currently 2 HRs needs your fan vote to be in the Home Run Derby.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_st...hrd/ballot.jsp

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    I would be beyond embarassed were that to come to fruition.

3. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

zenser (06-24-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    At least this way the HR Derby would be shorter?

5. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Taildragger8791 (06-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Mauer has 12 career HR at Target Field. Jose Bautista has 11.

Better vote Jose in, he's only 20 HR behind Josh Willingham for most HR hit at Target Field and I think he could do it with a good showing.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think back to the opposing hitters who have hit some majestic blasts at Target Field over the past four seasons. It's hard to tell how many bombs were courtesy of a less than stellar pitching staff - but; Jose Bautista, Nelson Cruz, Miguel Cabrera would all be able to put on a fantastic show. Giancarlo Stanton would be a blast to watch too...

As far as a Twins rep goes (if they'd get one) - give me Dozier, Hammer or Plouffe over Mauer. Either of the first three could do well if they were allowed to pull the ball to left all night.

If Arcia was in the HR Derby, would it have the opposite effect than the "slump" that other hitters complain about?

Vote Arcia for the Derby - it's his best hope!

9. These 2 users like Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (06-23-2014), TwinsTerritory (06-23-2014)

I wanna see Carlos Gomez swing out his shoes in the HR derby seriously though his hat would fall off every time he swings the bat and he'd fall at least twice and maybe throw his bat once. That would be entertainment at his best than for the other 7 players have them be...
    AL
    Josh Willingham
    Miguel Cabrera
    Chris Davis
    Jose Bautista
    NL
    Giancarlo Stanton
    Justin Morneau
    Ben Revere- see if he can muscle one out

11. These 2 users like JustcallupSANO's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

notoriousgod71 (06-23-2014), Taildragger8791 (06-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    I hope they end up having Dozier or Willingham (who can hit bombs with the best of em) on the derby team.

It would be amazing to have Morneau back as well for the NL, it would be great for him, great for the crowd and great for the Derby itself. (I saw him win it back at Yankee Stadium, so it would be cool to see him hit some out of the park again)
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

13. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Can we drag Thome out of retirement? Maybe get some White Sox pitchers to throw to him? It'll be like old times.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Being that the Twins are the host team - they should be able to have a guaranteed spot in the derby. Then they could call up AB Walker (Miracles & FSL Derby Champ - haha). At least it wouldn't be embarassing and wouldn't ruin anybody of values swing for the 2nd half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfo00JE6wQw
    FSL HR DERBY VIDEO

Yeah! Let's ask Thome to come mash some taters. That's always a good show!

I agree with Morneau and Willingham in the derby as well.
    Would be fun to see Jose Abreu, Bautista, Encarnacion for the AL
    The NL leaderboard is a little thin - Morneau, Stanton for sure, maybe an old favorite like Ryan Howard . . .

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it would be fun to hang out on the plaza and catch HRs outside of the stadium. Kind of like the guys in the ocean when Morneau was batting in SF a few years back. There could be quite the battle for some HR balls out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Yeah! Let's ask Thome to come mash some taters. That's always a good show!

I agree with Morneau and Willingham in the derby as well.
    Would be fun to see Jose Abreu, Bautista, Encarnacion for the AL
    The NL leaderboard is a little thin - Morneau, Stanton for sure, maybe an old favorite like Ryan Howard . . .
    This year it is expaneded to 5 from each league, I think that pretty much guarantees the Twins get one in. Willingham is prob the best bet as he is the most pure "HR" hitter they have.
    Tulo already said he wants to pick Morneau.

Additionally I would like to see Ortiz (glutton for punishment), Abreu and Mike Trout for the AL.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    This year it is expaneded to 5 from each league, I think that pretty much guarantees the Twins get one in. Willingham is prob the best bet as he is the most pure "HR" hitter they have.
    Tulo already said he wants to pick Morneau.

Additionally I would like to see Ortiz (glutton for punishment), Abreu and Mike Trout for the AL.
    Doesn't the guy have to be an actual all-star to be in the derby? Seems that would eliminate Willingham and Mauer....

I think the league has gone back and forth on that requirement in years past.

Mauer is the official player "ambassador" for the All-Star Game, so in theory he's at least an honorary member of the team...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Doesn't the guy have to be an actual all-star to be in the derby?
    Nope

Nope
    Even still, I find the idea of Willingham making it slim. Bautista is going to choose the five best sluggers he can.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Even still, I find the idea of Willingham making it slim. Bautista is going to choose the five best sluggers he can.
    Actually in the new format he would be best served not to choose the five best sluggers he can, since it is now a tournament style format where he would have to go 1 v 1 against other AL participants before the championship match against the NL.

This format is interesting - according the website fans can vote, but it will not determine who is chosen to participate. The two captains choose the remaining field of hitters, it doesn't specify if they have to pick current or former all-stars.

I'm guessing they will both be picking a teammate (Bautista will proably pick Encarnacion, Tulo likes Morneau) and then other than that.. who knows what their thought process will be - bias towards their division? Towards former teammates?

Actually in the new format he would be best served not to choose the five best sluggers he can, since it is now a tournament style format where he would have to go 1 v 1 against other AL participants before the championship match against the NL.
    So your theory is Willingham will make it because he stinks and Bautista will think he can beat him? At that point why doesn't Bautista pick Fuld, Aoki, Eatan, and Bradley Jr.?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that isn't baseball's intent with this so it's not going to happen.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 06-24-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast