Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/23): Berrios, Roberts Lead Miracle

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/23): Berrios, Roberts Lead Miracle

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No one is really sure why Berrios is still in Fort Myers and he's probably solidified his status as a mid-season Top 50 prospect in all of baseball.
    Unless of course its a list by Keith Law. But everyone has their opinion I guess.

3. This user likes righty8383's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-23-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I saw in the box score that Eric Farris had 3 outfield assists.

Its a shame that New Britain had that terrible start to the season. They were 10 games under .500 at one point if I'm not mistaken.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Unless of course its a list by Keith Law. But everyone has their opinion I guess.
    While I get the concern of Law's of being an "extreme fly ball" guy, I do think that works out ok at Target Field.

I would like to make the Berrios/Pedro comparisons, but Pedro was pretty close to 1:1 GO/FO. Pedro's fastball was only around 90 (which came as a surprise to me) according to Fangraphs.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No one is really sure why Berrios is still in Fort Myers and he's probably solidified his status as a mid-season Top 50 prospect in all of baseball.
    Well this time, we know for sure it's not for lack of "consistency." Dean, Duffey, Rogers and Vasquez are "blocking" him in New Britain. Vasquez is 32, it seems that he should move on to Rochester in a long-relief role there or in New Britain, or as a replacement for Diamond. It seems like a waste to have him taking starts instead of Berrios.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Berrios has done enough to move up, but I am curious to those who are reading these comments, how would you expect Berrios to perform in AA New Britain? I think he'd be OK, but I thought Lewis Thorpe's control would help him in Cedar Rapids.

I think it'll happen soon.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, in response, I think most any young pitcher might take a game or so to adjust to the next level, AA or otherwise. But personally, Berrios, in my opinion, has an almost warrior type attitude and work ethic. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rise in numbers, of course, but an almost equal level of dominance.

Call me giddy to see!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good to see Nate Roberts back at it. If only he can stay healthy now.

I'm not expecting dominance at New Britain, although it wouldn't exactly surprise me. But I do wonder what is left for Berrios to learn in Ft. Myers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Always been fascinated by Nate Roberts' numbers...never seen him play though.

Best case scenario for him...would be ______ ?

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And Cederoth is starting tomorrow (or today)!

Gordon...gotta demote the guy...another 0-fer!

If berrios is on the Futures Game roster, I want him to pitch as World team's starter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Seth, thanks for all your reports. In response to your question, I haven't the foggiest idea, though I hope for continued dominance. The real point is that he has earned the opportunity whatever the outcome. At this point the Twins are almost to the point where they are cheating him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I just noticed in looking at his last 10 games that the first of these was the "bad" one. In the last 9 games he's 7-1 with an ERA of 1.24 and never given up more than 2 runs in any game. Crazy, crazy numbers, yet here he sits.

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    Seth, thanks for all your reports. In response to your question, I haven't the foggiest idea, though I hope for continued dominance. The real point is that he has earned the opportunity whatever the outcome. At this point the Twins are almost to the point where they are cheating him.
    He's super young and its not even July. Lets wait a bit before we condemn the twins. They have been aggressive with some prospects this year so I am willing to wait and see.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    While I get the concern of Law's of being an "extreme fly ball" guy, I do think that works out ok at Target Field.

I would like to make the Berrios/Pedro comparisons, but Pedro was pretty close to 1:1 GO/FO. Pedro's fastball was only around 90 (which came as a surprise to me) according to Fangraphs.
    Pedro threw mid-90s when he was young. Injuries sapped his velocity, I believe shortly before Pitch f/x was introduced.

Target Field is good for flyball pitchers, but based on his current rates Berrios would project to be among the most extreme flyball pitchers in MLB (hitters put more balls in the air as the levels advance).

That's partly why it's strange Berrios hasn't been promoted - is it really a good thing for Berrios, who is completely dominant right now, to be shielded from his main weakness? He basically doesn't have to worry about allowing home runs there. Obviously a different kind of pitcher, but look at Baxendale - flyball pitcher dominates FSL and then is blown up in the EL.

I think Berrios would be fine overall in AA, but he would be punished for bad pitches much more frequently. He's too good for the FSL and keeping him there makes no sense.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love the picture of Berrios with this article. Pretty epic.

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    That's partly why it's strange Berrios hasn't been promoted - is it really a good thing for Berrios, who is completely dominant right now, to be shielded from his main weakness? He basically doesn't have to worry about allowing home runs there. Obviously a different kind of pitcher, but look at Baxendale - flyball pitcher dominates FSL and then is blown up in the EL.

I think Berrios would be fine overall in AA, but he would be punished for bad pitches much more frequently. He's too good for the FSL and keeping him there makes no sense.
    I agree that he is ready to move up as was Baxendale last year. Just know that it does not mean greatness at the next level. Every level is an adjustment and a different one for each player. Some play OK at high "A" and soar at "AA" (Vargas) and some excel at high "A" (Baxendale / Sano) and flutter (or at least without same dominance) at "AA". Each guy has their own adjustment monitor. Buxton was not good in GCL and OK in Appalachain League - The next year he was National Player of the Year. I beleive that some things can be worked on at any level and does not require being held back. Sometimes weaker competition can ony make you worse (JD Williams in Cedar Rapids - 2014). Promotions are needed but not to be over judged by new results (good or bad).
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 06-24-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    I don't think anyone is assuming he will dominate in AA. We are saying he is no longer challenged at A ball. I am a believer that you get better by facing difficult challenges, which does not seem to be the case right now.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    He's super young and its not even July. Lets wait a bit before we condemn the twins. They have been aggressive with some prospects this year so I am willing to wait and see.
    Exactly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast