Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest in Tabata?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Interest in Tabata?

Jose Tabata has been out righted. He can elect free agency. Should the Twins be interested?

He has played a lot of centerfield in the minors. There wasn't an opportunity to play CF with Pirates. He would be below average there but so are Fuld and Hicks.

His career OPS+ is 100 helped mostly by his OBP.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 06-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Tabata was once a promising prospect. With this team's CF issues I'd take a flyer on him.

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    Still only 25 and has a .275 batting average over 1600 MLB at bats, can play all three outfield spots... I'd give him a shot.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    He is better than Fuld.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

5. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (06-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Too many question marks with this guy.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    He is better than Fuld.
    Fuld may be below average, but at least he is reliably below average.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Would anybody take him over Parmelee? That's realistically the spot on the ML roster he'd be taking.

I think he's a better use of a roster spot than Florimon or Deduno at this point, since Gardy isn't playing those guys anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Fuld may be below average, but at least he is reliably below average.
    Tabata is much better IMHO, however this is worth noting below: Its worded poorly, does this mean basically he would be forfeiting his entire deal if he elected FA? Or just the 250k buyout option?

Tabata is owed roughly $1.59MM over the remainder of the current season, $4MM in 2015 and $4.5MM in 2016. The buyout on his first option is $250K, meaning he’s guaranteed roughly $10.34MM through the end of 2016. As a player with more than three years of Major League service time that was outrighted, Tabata has the option to reject the assignment in favor of free agency, though in doing so he would forfeit the remaining guarantee on his contract, making the option more or less a moot point.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Eh....if acquiring him means taking on those option years I'm far less thrilled. Tabata is a guy that doesn't bring a lot of power or speed and he's not elite defensively.

If he elects FA than I'm on board, but only at a very reasonable price.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Tabata is much better IMHO, however this is worth noting below: Its worded poorly, does this mean basically he would be forfeiting his entire deal if he elected FA? Or just the 250k buyout option?

Tabata is owed roughly $1.59MM over the remainder of the current season, $4MM in 2015 and $4.5MM in 2016. The buyout on his first option is $250K, meaning he’s guaranteed roughly $10.34MM through the end of 2016. As a player with more than three years of Major League service time that was outrighted, Tabata has the option to reject the assignment in favor of free agency, though in doing so he would forfeit the remaining guarantee on his contract, making the option more or less a moot point.

First thought, what a terrible contract. Are we sure Bill Smith was not involved?

Second, he appears better than Fuld. However, I looked at baseball reference and I could not find whether or not he could "really get after it". Until I know that, I can't commit.

12. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (06-24-2014)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Looks like a team would have to take it on UNLESS Tabata elects free agency (and why would he do that)?

From today's MLBTR chat:

Steve Adams:
    Pretty much nil. He passed through waivers unclaimed, and Huntington's been shopping him since Spring Training. Maybe if Pittsburgh kicks in $4-5MM someone would take a shot on him, but Pittsburgh still wouldn't get much more than salary relief.

Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    First thought, what a terrible contract. Are we sure Bill Smith was not involved?
    I mean hindsight makes it look like a bad contract, however it's not like they owe him a ton of money he likely wouldn't have been making anyways. The three option years would have been a bargain for the Pirates had he progressed like they thought he would.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Looks like a team would have to take it on UNLESS Tabata elects free agency (and why would he do that)?

From today's MLBTR chat:

Steve Adams:
    Pretty much nil. He passed through waivers unclaimed, and Huntington's been shopping him since Spring Training. Maybe if Pittsburgh kicks in $4-5MM someone would take a shot on him, but Pittsburgh still wouldn't get much more than salary relief.
    Thanks for the clarification, if the Twins weren't loaded with toolsy OF i would say sure, why not if the Pirates ate half of the contract. However as much of a short term upgrade he would be, he would likely be relegated to 4 OF at best status as early as next May.

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    I really should have checked up on his contract before I opened my big mouth.

If Pittsburgh wants to throw in money, I'd take a flyer on him, even if he did eventually just become a 4th outfielder. I wouldn't take on that contract as it is though.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only if he elects free agency. He's not that much of an upgrade over Fuld.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the contract info.

It seems like a no brainer to offer a top prospect a long term deal to buy out arbitration years. It isn't always so team friendly. On the other hand, risking 4 and 4.5 million isn't going to kill a teams chances.

Maybe the Pirates want to exchange bad contracts. Can they resurrect Pelfrey next year? The Twins must owe him somewhere around 8.25 million compared to the 10.34 million owed Tabata.

19. These 4 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

amjgt (06-24-2014), halfchest (06-25-2014), Major Leauge Ready (06-25-2014), snepp (06-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Bad contract Tabata for bad contract Pelfrey.

Aren't all the Pirates starters injured and all the vets on the last year of their contracts?

The Pirates sure seem to have good luck with former Twins pitching.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-24-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's also rumors that Tabata is actually 30 (or around there) too.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    There's also rumors that Tabata is actually 30 (or around there) too.
    He'd fit in just fine then.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

23. These 5 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (06-25-2014), GCTF (06-25-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-25-2014), mike wants wins (06-25-2014), nicksaviking (06-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is $10mm for 2.5 years something the Twins can't take on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast