Thread: Article: Burdi's Arrival, A Month of Kernels' Silver Linings

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Burdi's Arrival Amonth Kernels Silver Linings

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I'd hate to pile onto your club's woes, but I really hope Burdi doesn't stay there long. Perhaps only a handful of outings before heading off to Ft. Myers.

Though hopefully the Kernals would get Gonsalves or even Cederoth before too long.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    I suspect this is a place where Twins brass can see where Burdi measures up. Is he challenged or immediately dominant? The answer will determine when he moves up.

I also suspect Van Steensel is nearing the point where he'll be considered for promotion. Just depends on what the bullpen situation in Ft Myers is, I guess.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 858 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr;bt11490
    I think expectations locally were such that everybody knew it would not be a line up that measured up to last year's, but yes, it's been a letdown to this point.

I do think there is more talent in CR than what they've shown. The starting pitching, outside of Stewart, was simply expected to be much better than it has been. I'm not sure there's a lot of help in that area still to be had outside of perhaps Gonsalves. By and large, the guys here now are going to have to simply pitch better.

Not sure on Williams. He got off to a hot start his first couple games and then faltered.

I'll be surprised if we see Gordon this year. More likely he starts in CR next year, as Buxton did. Then again, he's starting a level higher than Buck did, so who knows?

I do know the Twins like Engelb Vielma, the current CR shortstop, and I imagine they want him to get regular ABs.
    I know it's too soon, but I'll ask anyway, with Gordon in the pipeline, does Engleb look like a future utility type, or do the Twins run both of these guys at SS up the organization simultaneously at the same level? What would it take for Vielma to force Polanco back to long-term at 2nd Base?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I know it's too soon, but I'll ask anyway, with Gordon in the pipeline, does Engleb look like a future utility type, or do the Twins run both of these guys at SS up the organization simultaneously at the same level? What would it take for Vielma to force Polanco back to long-term at 2nd Base?
    I'd hope Polanco's development or position is impacted not at all by Vielma. Few things bother me as much as the notion that no-hit shortstops are an acceptable lineup option, especially when they are a no-hit shortstop in A ball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a bit disappointed Burdi was sent to CR, but as you say, I don't expect he'll be there long if he shows dominance right out of the gate.

I'd hope they would take the same approach at Fort Myers with him as well.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Disappointed? Burdi's starting out at a higher level than anyone else the Twins drafted.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some probably want him going straight to the Twins. I'm with SDBuhr on this one. It'll be a good gauge. It's already been a long season. Remember they start practicing right after January begins in college and games start in mid-February. I think slow-and-steady is the appropriate timeline for the rest of this season.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Disappointed? Burdi's starting out at a higher level than anyone else the Twins drafted.
    This year sure. But I consider Burdi to be a different type of prospect, and should be treated as such. He's a pure reliever, and has big-league stuff right now.

(for reference about starting at a certain level) Alex Wimmers was a starter, and also thought to be the most MLB ready in that draft, and began his career in A+.

Not much of an issue if they move him quick, but doesn't change the fact it still disappoints me some!
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Alex Wimmers was a starter, and also thought to be the most MLB ready in that draft, and began his career in A+.
    That example doesn't exactly bolster your argument

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am hoping that Burdi makes it though Cedar Rapids and Fort Myers this year and next year starts at AA and is available after the arbitration date and a spot opens on the roster. so 4-5 weeks in each A ball team. then 2-3 months in AA then BAM. It'll be time for the Burdi to fly.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd hope Polanco's development or position is impacted not at all by Vielma. Few things bother me as much as the notion that no-hit shortstops are an acceptable lineup option, especially when they are a no-hit shortstop in A ball.
    Is the jury now in that Vielma is the second coming of Florimon?

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    That example doesn't exactly bolster your argument
    It doesn't? Why? Because since that season he has struggled? That's not relevant at all to the argument I'm making.

They put him in Fort Myers after that draft because of his perceived readiness, and he absolutely dominated in his short time there before the seasons end. This was for a starter, which I would have more concerns about than a reliever.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I think it's premature (and inaccurate) to call Vielma a no-hit SS in A ball. He's hitting .262 and has 11 XBH. Not an "offense first" SS, by any means, but considering he had an awful time hitting in the cold of April, he's been putting the bat head on the ball pretty well since then (.304 BA since May 1). And he just turned 20 this past Sunday.

Given the issues the Twins have had at SS for, oh, the past couple decades or so, the last thing I'm going to be concerned about is having too many potential MLB level shortstops at Class A+ and below right now. These things tend to work themselves out as guys reach higher levels.

I will say that it's been a long time (maybe in forever) since I saw a guy in CR as good at SS defensively as Vielma has been.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

15. These 2 users like SD Buhr's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (06-27-2014), jokin (06-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vielma moved up a level this year and his bat has gotten better this year. This is an important sign. He still needs a lot of work with the bat, but he isn't stagnating at all.

17. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    He seems to be doing okay for a guy who just turned 20.

19. This user likes Monkeypaws's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-25-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    I think it's premature (and inaccurate) to call Vielma a no-hit SS in A ball. He's hitting .262 and has 11 XBH. Not an "offense first" SS, by any means, but considering he had an awful time hitting in the cold of April, he's been putting the bat head on the ball pretty well since then (.304 BA since May 1). And he just turned 20 this past Sunday.

Given the issues the Twins have had at SS for, oh, the past couple decades or so, the last thing I'm going to be concerned about is having too many potential MLB level shortstops at Class A+ and below right now. These things tend to work themselves out as guys reach higher levels.

I will say that it's been a long time (maybe in forever) since I saw a guy in CR as good at SS defensively as Vielma has been.
    Great to hear, JC. I saw Polanco last year, and I really liked what I saw at CR, but let me ask again, as I'm sure you just missed my previous post:

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Twins should roll with Polanco at SS as much as they can. His ceiling is (much) higher than Gordon's. I like Vielma a lot and I think that Gordon is a similar player. But Gordon still has taken about 8 official swings with a wooden bat.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that the Twins should roll with Polanco at SS as much as they can. His ceiling is (much) higher than Gordon's. I like Vielma a lot and I think that Gordon is a similar player. But Gordon still has taken about 8 official swings with a wooden bat.
    As I stated, I really liked Polanco last year when I saw him, but he has suffered from the error bugaboo in Ft Myers. I was under the impression that Gordon's ceiling was almost unlimited- and that there was an outside expert opinion that Vielma was the best athlete in the entire organization not named Buxton...... it will be quite interesting to see how this all plays out in the next 2-3 seasons.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I stated, I really liked Polanco last year when I saw him, but he has suffered from the error bugaboo in Ft Myers. I was under the impression that Gordon's ceiling was almost unlimited- and that there was an outside expert opinion that Vielma was the best athlete in the entire organization not named Buxton...... it will be quite interesting to see how this all plays out in the next 2-3 seasons.
    Yes it will. I have not seen Gordon play yet (other than film that does not tell you much, like how and where he moves when a ball is hit at the outfield, whether he is napping on the bases etc.) It is a good problem for the Twins to have (as long as they don't turn any of them into centerfielders.)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast