Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowden - Hitters Who Could Be Dealt

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Why not? All of these young arms that are "blocked" in Rochester and New Britain. And we have an expiring contract with Correia.
    They can move Correia but Hughes, Gibson and Nolasco figure into the future and won't be moved. Pino/Deduno are blocking May, who should be up at this point, but have no trade value. Correia has a bit of trade value and I do think he gets moved at some point but he's not going to bring back anything huge. Perkins is the only pitching asset we have that can bring back real value.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    I bet Casey Fien could get a decent mid-level prospect in a trade. And there's Duensing and Thielbar, somoene might overrate a lefty arm.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who can we get? That is what we should be asking IMO.

Any catchers or CFers? Cubs? Rangers? Rays?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    They can move Correia but Hughes, Gibson and Nolasco figure into the future and won't be moved. Pino/Deduno are blocking May, who should be up at this point, but have no trade value. Correia has a bit of trade value and I do think he gets moved at some point but he's not going to bring back anything huge. Perkins is the only pitching asset we have that can bring back real value.
    I don't think anyone should be ruled out, save Hughes.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I can't believe I am about to type this.....but given their actions with Pinto, I think they should sign Suzuki to at least one more year, but no more than 2.
    This is my one exception to my sell-high rule, as well. But given Ryan's ability to trade catchers for value-in-kind, he should be able to get a decent return from someone like Baltimore. If Zuke really likes it here, as appears to be the case, plus knowing he'd have assurances of first shot at a full-time gig for the next 1-2 years, he'd definitely listen to the Twins first in the offseason when he's a FA again.

6. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you guys are underestimating Suzuki's value on the Free Agent market. He is hitting similar to Mauer did with close to a .400OBP and .400Slg%. I can see him getting a 1 or 2 year possibly a 3rd option deal in the 5 - 8 million per season range for his offense this year. 5 -6 million is a given and 7 or 8 is if someone needs a catcher real bad and is trying to get him. while Suzuki doesn't have the history of hitting like this, he did make a change while with Oakland and finished last year on a high note and carried it into this season so he is starting to develop a track record and he is durable. He has a lot of value so 3.5 million per year is way too low. He may even get a 10 million for a season offer but that is starting to get a little high for me.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I think whatever happens this year, the Twins need to clean house next year, so deal as many of these guys as you can now. Morales if you can get anything (he looks like a softball player). Certainly any of the bullpen guys though there's no way they trade Perk. I've started to really like Willingham but I don't see him coming back, so him too.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 06-27-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Not a manager discussion

9. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    It would be a mistake to believe Suzuki will perform well in 2015-2016. Extending him multiyear based on 1/2 a season would be foolish. They need to look at 3-5 years to project the next few years. No one would project 2015-2016 based on 1/2 of 2014.

They need to expect batting averages below .250 with little power. They need to expect more difficulty throwing out runners and framing pitches. He needs to be signed one year at a time so that they can get out of the contract without long term implications. That has to happen in the winter. They aren't going to get him on a one year deal in season.
    I don't expect the same bat, but given the other options he may be the best. Russell Martin and AJ are the only sure-fire better options and neither is a lock to sign here.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I think you guys are underestimating Suzuki's value on the Free Agent market. He is hitting similar to Mauer did with close to a .400OBP and .400Slg%. I can see him getting a 1 or 2 year possibly a 3rd option deal in the 5 - 8 million per season range for his offense this year. 5 -6 million is a given and 7 or 8 is if someone needs a catcher real bad and is trying to get him. while Suzuki doesn't have the history of hitting like this, he did make a change while with Oakland and finished last year on a high note and carried it into this season so he is starting to develop a track record and he is durable. He has a lot of value so 3.5 million per year is way too low. He may even get a 10 million for a season offer but that is starting to get a little high for me.
    I maybe low, you seem a bit high. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As usual, it depends on the return and where the team is in the standings in mid-July. I hope they are contending by then. They have the horses to get there. If they are 7-10 games out of the wild card after the All Star Game, I could see dealing the first two. I'm with Tobi on keeping Suzuki and trying to extend him. With so many young pitchers coming up, I want him calling games next year.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

13. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Suzuki might be able to score $7M this offseason as the top FA option at catcher. If he'll take a $4M extension now the Twins would be foolish not to extend him.

15. This user likes DJL44's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Turner has a very decent shot at starting out, or soon after, at AA next year. We may be talking about the heir apparent being up by next summer- the Twins could probably live with Pinto/Hermann/Fryer until then.
    Factor in the inevitable injuries and the fact that none of these 3 have proven that he can be a full time catcher in the major leagues would result in the twins having a very weak group of catchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Suzuki might be able to score $7M this offseason as the top FA option at catcher. If he'll take a $4M extension now the Twins would be foolish not to extend him.
    $7M seems high to me. AJ signed 1/$8.25M and he hit over 40HR the last two years. Russell Martin signed 2/17. Clearly both have a better offensive record. But you got me, $4M is probably a tad low.

Liked 1,283 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    $7M seems high to me. AJ signed 1/$8.25M and he hit over 40HR the last two years. Russell Martin signed 2/17. Clearly both have a better offensive record. But you got me, $4M is probably a tad low.
    Depends upon what role scarcity at the position plays.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    Factor in the inevitable injuries and the fact that none of these 3 have proven that he can be a full time catcher in the major leagues would result in the twins having a very weak group of catchers.
    Yeah, I would just hate to wait 3-4 years for Buxton, Sano, Rosario, Meyer, and May to come up...only to see the catcher position hitting .210 with 3 HR.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    I think everyone would agree that a 1 year extension at 4 million is a good deal for the Twins. What would motivate Suzuki to take his deal and give up his last chance at getting overpaid on a multiyear contract?

Oakland passed on his 8.25 million option for 2014. If I am Suzuki, I am looking for at least 2 years and 16 million to give up my free agent rights.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I think everyone would agree that a 1 year extension at 4 million is a good deal for the Twins. What would motivate Suzuki to take his deal and give up his last chance at getting overpaid on a multiyear contract?

Oakland passed on his 8.25 million option for 2014. If I am Suzuki, I am looking for at least 2 years and 16 million to give up my free agent rights.
    I agree. I think you would have to overpay him to give up Free Agency. With catchers looking scarce for next year that only increases his value. If I were the motorcycle I would wait for the bidding war at the end of the season. Who knows what crazy money might come your way.

22. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-29-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    Yep, although Turner is said to have had the most major-league-ready tools of any catching prospect when he was drafted last year- so by the end of 2015, maybe not that weak.

Having the 3 other guys with major league experience (albeit not full-time) would mitigate the injury situation for half a year....again, my speculation, and it is pure speculation at this point, is based on the Twins possibly feeling that Turner has shown enough to be able to come in and take over full-time by the All Star break next year. The Twins would certainly take a step down in the intangible department in the short-term relative to Suzuki, but Terry Ryan has expressed confidence in Fryer's ability to handle a staff and Fryer is getting valuable experience working with Zuke at the moment.

But when all is said and done, Suzuki is having a career year, and his value in trade will likely never be higher than it is right now. Hard to walk away from a potential mini-prospect haul should the opportunity arise in the next month.

24. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-29-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Since Suzuki at 2 years $15M is probably NOT a good deal for the Twins they should be looking at their trade options. Maybe some team will give up their 'Wilson Ramos' at the deadline.

26. This user likes DJL44's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (06-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    I agree. I think you would have to overpay him to give up Free Agency. With catchers looking scarce for next year that only increases his value. If I were the motorcycle I would wait for the bidding war at the end of the season. Who knows what crazy money might come your way.
    There is probably some truth to that. The risk is he gets hurt between now and the end of the year, which he has had some injuries. He does seem to like it here and it sounds like Gardy loves him. The Twins likely know what they would sign him for next year, so offer him a little less than that and re-evaluate. If we are on different planets, then by all means get what you can get for him.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast