Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bowden - Hitters Who Could Be Dealt

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you could make an argument to re-sign or extend any of those 3.

It looks to me like the bigger roster crunch will be pitching.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    si.com (even as poorly redesigned as it is) has an article on 5 hitters likely to be traded.

Tops on their list is Willingham:

Josh Willingham, LF, Twins
    A trade of Willingham has seemed inevitable ever since the ink dried on the three-year, $21 million contract he signed with the Twins in December 2011. A production-sapping knee injury that shelved him for all of July wiped out the chance of a deal last year, but now that he’s in the final year of that contract and his calling-card patience and power have returned, a trade sending Willingham out of Minnesota seems once again, well, inevitable.

Willingham suffered a fractured wrist in early April, but since returning from the disabled list in late May, he has reached base at a .388 clip while slugging .495 with seven homers in 31 games. Those numbers have come despite a .238 average, and that's due to some bad luck on balls in play. Willingham is a lousy fielder, but he has a history of thriving in pitchers parks and is making just $7 million this year.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/01/fiv...trade-deadline

Even got his picture on the front page of the mlb portion of the site.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    si.com (even as poorly redesigned as it is) has an article on 5 hitters likely to be traded.

Tops on their list is Willingham:

Josh Willingham, LF, Twins
    A trade of Willingham has seemed inevitable ever since the ink dried on the three-year, $21 million contract he signed with the Twins in December 2011. A production-sapping knee injury that shelved him for all of July wiped out the chance of a deal last year, but now that he’s in the final year of that contract and his calling-card patience and power have returned, a trade sending Willingham out of Minnesota seems once again, well, inevitable.

Willingham suffered a fractured wrist in early April, but since returning from the disabled list in late May, he has reached base at a .388 clip while slugging .495 with seven homers in 31 games. Those numbers have come despite a .238 average, and that's due to some bad luck on balls in play. Willingham is a lousy fielder, but he has a history of thriving in pitchers parks and is making just $7 million this year.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/01/fiv...trade-deadline

Even got his picture on the front page of the mlb portion of the site.
    I pretty much agree with that. I think someone offers something for him. He could serve as a DH to an AL team that has a hole or platoons at DH and needs a righty. He could be a valuable bench guy on a deep team, or play LF for a team not so concerned about defense. I wish the Phillies were in the hunt (Delmon Young joke)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish the analysis by SI contained any hint of what they think he would fetch. Of course he is going to be the object of inquiries (at least from the Astros, given their recent news ), but if we're talking only some 25th ranked prospect in somebody's system then it's not really worth discussing. And it's very unclear to me that there is a team out there desperate enough for a two month rental of a good but flawed player to offer a difference maker in return.

I could envision a trade a la Jamey Carroll, to a contender, as a courtesy to the player himself.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 07-01-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    While it is a nice thought I do not think any trades at this point should be done as a courtesy to the player(s). The Twins can use any kind of prospect if only a middling one if and when they deal any of the veterans currently on the roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    It seems to me that prospects are more highly prized than they've been before - at the same time, there are still blockbuster deals made with several prospects being moved for a #1 Starter. I think it will be hard to get an impressive return for Willingham because he's older, on his final year of a contract, and teams are protective of their prospects.

I think he will get traded if Ryan gets a decent offer from just about anyone. Probably not getting anyone's top 25 for Willingham, but it's possible that a younger player in AAA or sitting on the end of someone's 25 Man roster that's blocked by an established player could be acquired for Willingham. It's hard to even guess who that might be, though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Willingham would get a team's top 25 prospect. In a deep Twins farm system we're talking about a Niko Goodrum, Mason Melotakis, Felix Jorge, Zack Jones or Aaron Slegers. A team in need isn't going to stop one of those fringy guys from holding up a deal for Willingham.

It will depend on his health and production obviously, but I'll bet the team can snag something in the 8-15 range depending on desperation.

Of course that's assuming the Twins don't try to do another stupid 2-for-1 deal, taking on a couple of "MLB ready" AAAA players who both require 40-man spots. Then I'd prefer they just let Willingham walk at the end of the season.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 07-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.

8. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (07-01-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    If they acquire guys needing 40 man spots, that are not actual starting MLB players, I will be bummed.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The return for Willingham is not going to excite the fan base. It is very rare for good prospects to get traded and when they are traded it will be for starting pitching, shortstops, centerfielders or catchers.

It is a waste to trade him for a guy like Alex Presley who will be out of options in 2015. Those kinds of players will be available as minor league free agents in the winter.

The kind of player that might help is a young player sitting in A-Ball that has yet to perform well but has the tools. They could also look for a player in AA and AAA that is struggling but has always been very young for his league like Escobar.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If they acquire guys needing 40 man spots, that are not actual starting MLB players, I will be bummed.
    Not very many contenders are going to trade a starter for Willingham. That's opening up a second weakness to fill a void. If he's traded, it will be for a prospect, or prospects.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

Of course that's assuming the Twins don't try to do another stupid 2-for-1 deal, taking on a couple of "MLB ready" AAAA players who both require 40-man spots. Then I'd prefer they just let Willingham walk at the end of the season.
    The return is going to be based in part on what another team is offering. If Hammer isn't in the future plans, then Ryan will be shopping him and he's going to take the best option available. If he doesn't get decent value, he won't make the trade. It won't be as if he's turning down Giolotto b/c Pittsburg won't give up more.

I'd think of it more this way, Hammer should have a lot more demand than Liriano did when he was traded for a couple of C/C+ guys in Escobar and Hernandez. The return should top that, but I wouldn't get too worked up thinking that 2 C+/B- guys could somehow yield 1 B+ or A- guy. It doesn't work that way.

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Not very many contenders are going to trade a starter for Willingham. That's opening up a second weakness to fill a void. If he's traded, it will be for a prospect, or prospects.
    Except, some of those are on 40 man rosters, as we know.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just reviewing the notable trade deadline deals at MLB.com...

2013:
    Alfonso Soriano netted the Yankees 25th ranked prospect last year (who went on to be ranked #15 for the Cubs after the season).

The Cubs also dealt Scott Hairston for the Nationals' 27th ranked prospect (who then ranked #21 for the Cubs).

2012:
    Carlos Lee got the Marlins #4 ranked prospect (Matt Dominguez, current Astros starting 3B)

Jim Thome was traded for the Orioles #18 and #21 ranked prospects

Ichiro got the Yankees #16 prospect plus another guy

2011:
    Derrek Lee got the #14 Orioles prospect

Ryan Ludwick was sold for cash

Jerry Hairston (again) netted Erik Komatsu (remember him?)

I stopped looking at that point...

15. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (07-01-2014), Willihammer (07-01-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Just reviewing the notable trade deadline deals at MLB.com...

2013:
    Alfonso Soriano netted the Yankees 25th ranked prospect last year (who went on to be ranked #15 for the Cubs after the season).

The Cubs also dealt Scott Hairston for the Nationals' 27th ranked prospect (who then ranked #21 for the Cubs).

2012:
    Carlos Lee got the Marlins #4 ranked prospect (Matt Dominguez, current Astros starting 3B)

Jim Thome was traded for the Orioles #18 and #21 ranked prospects

Ichiro got the Yankees #16 prospect plus another guy

2011:
    Derrek Lee got the #14 Orioles prospect

Ryan Ludwick was sold for cash

Jerry Hairston (again) netted Erik Komatsu (remember him?)

I stopped looking at that point...
    Not to mention, most teams #15-#20th rated guy would probably be our #30th rated guy.

Senior Member MVP
    Cubs got jake arietta on July 2, 2013.....maybe the Twins will make a cool trade tomorrow!
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Cubs got jake arietta on July 2, 2013.....maybe the Twins will make a cool trade tomorrow!
    I loved that move at the time. It's taken some time to pay off but that was the ideal buy-low trade rebuilding teams need to chance.

19. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (07-01-2014)

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I loved that move at the time. It's taken some time to pay off but that was the ideal buy-low trade rebuilding teams need to chance.
    Concur. IMO if the Twins do end up dumping players this summer, they should look for players who were former top prospects who have, for one reason or another, lost their luster, or failed in short big league tryouts. I think you have a lot better chance at finding impact players that way than stocking up on other team's C level guys that almost never develop into anything more than spare parts. You can pick up spare parts pretty easily every winter.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

21. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (07-01-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    How about Nolan Reimold, recently DFA'd by Baltimore? If he can be had via waiver claim, it would cost the Twins 500k for the rest of 2014, and they'd have to drop someone from their 40-Man roster (possibly the 25 man too, not sure if Reimold is out of options, but if they pick him up it should be to play him regardless)
    He was a former top prospect, he's dealt with some injuries but has been a semi-regular in Baltimore for about 5 seasons...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reimold's career OPS+ is a little better than Parmelee's. He is a corner OF. He is 4 years older at 30. Would you replace him on the roster for Parmelee? I wouldn't.

I think you want some upside of age left on those former prospects. Arrieta was 27 when the Cubs traded Feldman for him.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    How about Nolan Reimold, recently DFA'd by Baltimore? If he can be had via waiver claim, it would cost the Twins 500k for the rest of 2014, and they'd have to drop someone from their 40-Man roster (possibly the 25 man too, not sure if Reimold is out of options, but if they pick him up it should be to play him regardless)
    He was a former top prospect, he's dealt with some injuries but has been a semi-regular in Baltimore for about 5 seasons...
    In light of the Mauer injury (and Kennys Vargas' recent slump) I'd do it today. Reimold has rehabbed his most recent injury so he should be good to go. The Twins could use a RH hitting corner OF, especially if Parm is the regular 1B. Reimold could start in left vs. LH pitching (Hammer DH, Morales 1B) to get an extra RH bat in the lineup or he could give Arcia a rest in right field.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast