Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any News About Santana's Knee

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Any News About Santana's Knee

Thought I'd start a thread to track this. What the heck do we do if he has to go on the DL? With Nunez and Plouffe out, that leaves only infielders Florimon and Escobar (and of course Dozier) and no backup in center. Losing Danny for 2 weeks would be disasterous.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Last I read was that he said it felt somewhat better after having it iced.

I also think he is scheduled for an MRI this morning so we should know more by gametime.

As for today, unless they overnighted someone, they need to stay healthy.

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beware of the potential return of Doug Bernier. Unless they bring up Romero and put Escobar back at 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Beware of the potential return of Doug Bernier. Unless they bring up Romero and put Escobar back at 3rd.
    You mean Escobar back to short. Bernier makes sense, but either way who comes off the 40-man?

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 495 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Losing Danny for 2 weeks would be disasterous.
    I agree -- but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Kris Atteberry said losing Santana would be like losing 3 players: your shortstop, your leadoff hitter, and your backup center fielder. But Santana did not start the season on the Twins and wasn't really part of the 2014 plan. Other guys have been producing just fine.

Also. Nunez shouldn't have been put on DL in my opinion. He was running and said he was ready. A pitcher should have been DFA'd or optioned.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 868 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I agree -- but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Kris Atteberry said losing Santana would be like losing 3 players: your shortstop, your leadoff hitter, and your backup center fielder. But Santana did not start the season on the Twins and wasn't really part of the 2014 plan. Other guys have been producing just fine.

Also. Nunez shouldn't have been put on DL in my opinion. He was running and said he was ready. A pitcher should have been DFA'd or optioned.
    A lot has changed since April 1. The Twins have lost or demoted 3 CFers and 1 SS. Santana has taken on a significant role in both positions in that wake, plus he's taken the role of leadoff man by the throat, he would represent a huge loss in production if he's DLd.

It has been reported that Nunez will need a rehab assignment past this coming Monday, so the injury will turn out to be extra costly if Santana also goes down. I get your point about the 13th pitcher, but Terry Ryan sounds like he was pretty stubborn about not liking the rostered option bats in Rochester, or messing with the 40-man to promote Romero or another IF.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    You mean Escobar back to short. Bernier makes sense, but either way who comes off the 40-man?
    Has Pelfrey gone to the 60 day yet?

Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Has Pelfrey gone to the 60 day yet?
    Yes when we brought up Pino

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The mistake in planning came two weeks ago when they should have called up Romero (or Bernier) instead of Florimon in Pelfrey's spot. After that, let Deduno have one more start (no need to spend a 40 on Pino) and use the day off to slot May in.

Now that they have missed that opportunity, they truly need to assess whether Plouffe will be back on Monday. If not, they still need Romero (or Bernier). They can add him and release Guerrier or Deduno.

For today, if Escobar or Florimon go down (or even if they pinch hit for Florimon) who goes to 3B?

Mauer? Willingham? He played there in A-Ball.

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Plouffe is coming back on Monday then we just need to get by till then. I thought we would only have Florimon and Escobar available for SS and 3B in the event that Escobar is hurt. 1 day is ok. 3 is pushing it but we can manage if we have to. We can always try Mauer at 3B for a game and bring in Parmelee to play 1B.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The mistake in planning came two weeks ago when they should have called up Romero (or Bernier) instead of Florimon in Pelfrey's spot. After that, let Deduno have one more start (no need to spend a 40 on Pino) and use the day off to slot May in.

Now that they have missed that opportunity, they truly need to assess whether Plouffe will be back on Monday. If not, they still need Romero (or Bernier). They can add him and release Guerrier or Deduno.

For today, if Escobar or Florimon go down (or even if they pinch hit for Florimon) who goes to 3B?

Mauer? Willingham? He played there in A-Ball.
    Bingo. Some real 40-man stubbornness, perhaps pigheadedness in the FO, and a failure to learn from the self-inflicted OF mess from just 2 months ago. Unreal- if no more moves are made before Monday, there's a real chance that someone, even a pitcher, might have to play a position they've never played before- and of course, no pinch-hitting depth.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If Plouffe is coming back on Monday then we just need to get by till then. I thought we would only have Florimon and Escobar available for SS and 3B in the event that Escobar is hurt. 1 day is ok. 3 is pushing it but we can manage if we have to. We can always try Mauer at 3B for a game and bring in Parmelee to play 1B.
    It would actually be 4 days. And what about if Fuld and an IF go down?

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    If Plouffe is ready I'd send him to AAA for 2 weeks. I like Esco at 3rd, and now Polanco is here.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seriously Halsey, what did Trevor Plouffe ever do to you? His numbers, both offensively and defensively, are league average. He definitely has improved hitting with runners in scoring position and defensively, but you think he's not as good as 20-year-old Jorge Polanco?

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Dr Gil (definitely not a doctor) guesses torn meniscus, young enough for a repair, out 6-8 weeks (longer than the 4-6 for a chop & go, but better in the long run).

It looked like he jammed it a bit on first base and it looked like something was catching in there. When he was being eval'd by the trainer, he could put weight on it (probably not ACL), and could run a bit, but then something caused him to pull up again.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he just have to stay off it for a couple of days, but it didn't look very good.

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Just a bone bruise. He is day to day.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Just a bone bruise. He is day to day.
    Are we sure about that? A bone bruise can be fairly serious:

What is a bone bruise?
    The term bone bruise is a misnomer and makes the injury seem less serious than it is. A so-called bone bruise is actually a fracturing of the inner layer of bone.

What is the normal treatment for a bone bruise?
    I usually recommend bracing or other immobilization of the area to allow it time to heal and to protect it from additional injury that can be caused by bearing weight on the injured area. Activities also need to be restricted during this healing period, particularly sports play, which can result in additional acute trauma, causing greater injury and/or prolonging the healing time.

How long do you normally expect recovery to take?
    Recovery can take several months because the inner layer of bone takes longer to heal than the outer bone.
    http://www.tsaog.com/connect-learn-i...-is-a-misnomer

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    They shoot shortstops, don't they?
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

20. These 2 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (06-26-2014), Sconnie (06-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Are we sure about that? A bone bruise can be fairly serious:
    It is the information the Twins are releasing:

Rookie shortstop Danny Santana has been diagnosed with a bone bruise in his left knee and is day to day.

Santana, who suffered the injury Wednesday night while running out a double, underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam (MRI) that showed no abnormalities in his ligaments or meniscus.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...danny-santana/

They may be wrong but that is obviously the word they are putting out. Its what Dick/Bert said; what was said on the radio; what was tweeted by numerous sources.

(And I have to think this happened at some other time not on the play in question. I also don't know if I trust what the Twins are saying but it is clearly what they ARE saying.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast