Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any News About Santana's Knee

Liked 1,274 Times in 738 Posts

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Obviously, we all hope it's a minor bruise, strain, etc., and he really is just day to day for a few days. Worse case scenario, I hope, is a 2 week stint to rest. Hard to type and cross fingers at the same time but I'm trying.

If out 2 weeks, God forbid any longer, Dozier moves back to lead off. That in itself isn't a terrible thing. But what to do at #2? I believe the answer is a mish-mash of Escobar at SS, and Fuld in certain matchups against some RH's. Short term at least, workable. Especially if Plouffe is indeed back soon.

Now, if Plouffe isn't ready for some reason, and it doesn't sound like it will be a problem, then the Twins have to make a 40 man move somewhere/somehow, and promote Romero for a shot at 3B. Despite the disappointing 3 game series against the Angels, now is not the time to throw your hands up. The season is going pretty well, there is excitement and fun, at least a possibility of more/better, and the team is building toward a better future. Again, it's not the time to just give up or give in and settle. And that's what you did if you put Escobar at 3B and Florimon at SS for anything more than a couple days.

Escobar has proven himself at SS, and should maintain his spot there, and as mentioned, he could provide a decent option at 2 for now. Romero deserves his shot in this scenario. He's been a good organization guy, not enough in of itself to deserve a promotion, but he is an actual 3B. And while his defense may prove to be average at best, once again, he is a true 3B. And his bat would surely provide much more offense than anything Florimon could provide. This aids the overall lineup. And if Nunez would also be out, I suppose Florimon could provide a little SS backup, and maybe allow Escobar to slide to third for a late game option.

Of course, this whole scenario changes if Plouffe is back soon and Nunez the same or close. And if the baseball gods smile on us, which they haven't done much lately, it will all be moot as Santana also will only have a very short term injury issue.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    So.....it's NOT what they're saying, then?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, Tim Laudner on the postgame show said the Santana injury "doesn't sound good". And then there's this:

DL hasn't been ruled out for Danny Santana, Gardy said. Didn't think he was moving around very well today when he jogged briefly.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    You mean Escobar back to short. Bernier makes sense, but either way who comes off the 40-man?
    Florimon, batting under .100, unbelievably bad

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    If out 2 weeks, God forbid any longer, Dozier moves back to lead off. That in itself isn't a terrible thing.
    Observation: Did you notice who Gardy had leading off today? Not Dozier. The guy with the second lowest OBP in the team after Florimon.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Observation: Did you notice who Gardy had leading off today? Not Dozier. The guy with the second lowest OBP in the team after Florimon.
    I did not until I checked. But it's only one game. But remember who was out lead off hitter before the Santana emergence?

Fingers are cramping from being crossed.

(about ready to sacrifice a bucket of KFC's best)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    Unfortunately so. And wherever his average is today, that's where it ought to finish the season at.

9. These 3 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-26-2014), jokin (06-26-2014), USAFChief (06-27-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    And he muffed the pop fly. He really should be DFAd tonight, with another player added to cover 3rd until Plouffe is back. The Twins margin for error was thin enough before Santana went down, they really can't afford to have an automatic out, who now has a somewhat suspect glove, as well.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone's value done a downturn faster than Florimon in recent history? Even fans of his defense and speed, hopeful of a decent and maybe slightly improved player on 2014 have soured on him.

Id love to just be able to keep him at Rochester for the rest of the year, as a just in case option, if nothing else. But I'm now of the opinion he might be a DFA option if necessary to improve the roster.

This SHOULD be a moot point as Plouffe is reportedly back in a couple days. Not sure why Nunez would need any rehab time unless the Twins are just playing the roster shuffle game. But Plouffe should be back, Escobar goes back to SS, and no other big move has to take place. But if Plouffe has any delay, Romero needs to be up, whatever 40 man move needs to take place.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Has anyone's value done a downturn faster than Florimon in recent history?
    I don't think I have seen anyone whose value was that low to begin with sink as far and as fast has Florimon. That said, the middle of spring training was a very bad time to need to have his appendix out and it really threw his whole season off.

I was for giving Escobar a shot as the starter before Florimon tanked, but I still think Florimon could regain most of his limited value if he would reinvent himself as a utility guy like John MacDonald. I think I read that he has had some reluctance to do that, but he really isn't in a position to negotiate if he wants to continue to be paid for playing baseball. (I can't remember if it was reluctance or difficulty handling the other positions that caused the problems.)

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Dr Gil (definitely not a doctor) guesses torn meniscus, young enough for a repair, out 6-8 weeks (longer than the 4-6 for a chop & go, but better in the long run).
    I guess that is why doctors go to med school and actually examine patients rather than just speculate based on video clips. I'm glad I was wrong and I hope he's back in the lineup soon.

14. This user likes gil4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-27-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12