Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Twins@Angels 6/26 2:35PM

Liked 2,280 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries

Game Thread: Twins@Angels 6/26 2:35PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to left field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 80.

I'm getting my thoughts out early today so I can concentrate on the USA/Germany and Portugal/Ghana. ChiTown is going to post the lineups right here.

Twins:
    SP, Nolasco

Fuld CF
    Dozier 2B
    Mauer DH
    Morales 1B
    Arcia RF
    Suzuki C
    Parmelee LF
    Escobar 3B
    Florimon SS

Angels:
    SP, Weaver

Calhoun RF
    Trout CF
    Pujols DH
    Hamilton LF
    Aybar SS
    Kendrick 2B
    Conger C
    Freese 3B
    Navarro 1B

----------------------------------------------------
    Things to Think About:

1. Timing -- The course of a season can be determined by who and when you play them. Sometimes we tend to focus on the team we cheer for and forget about the opponent. This is mistake because both teams are trying to win baseball games and sometimes it isn't what the Twins do wrong but what the other team is doing right. Ask yourself if the Twins were just hot when they swept 4 games from the White Sox or if the Twins were cold as the Angels knocked the ball around the park these last two games. The Angels have won 5 games in a row... It's just not a good time to be playing the Angels. Sometimes... you have to step back and factor in the opponent. If the Angels are hitting... It doesn't mean our pitching sucks. Or if we are hitting it doesn't always mean that we are great. Baseball just isn't that simple.

2. Jered Weaver -- The Angels have Southern California guys all over their rotation. The Weaver clan is from Northridge in the San Fernando Valley. The San Fernando valley is like a giant hole in the mountains. Kind of like Melissa McCarthy fell over and created the valley. If those mountains surrounding the valley ever decided to work together and move inward at the same time... The Carnage would be horrible and CNN would certainly cover the event and Fox News would blame Obama. The first thing the mountains would need to do is shed all roads. This would force people to escape on foot and it would cause a bottleneck around Burbank. Or the mountains could close that gap in the Burbank area and then fill the entire valley with Hot Lava like a soup bowl. That should take care of all the Valley residents quickly. Totally... Like... Whatever... As If. Glunn should be safe in Beverly Hills but he will probably be able to hear the screams. What were we talking about? Oh Yeah... Jered Weaver... He's pretty good but as a Baseball Coach I would never let a young kid watch him pitch. Mechanically he just does it wrong. His Strike Foot consistently lands to the right side of the rubber and this forces him to throw across his body every time. Don't get me wrong... it creates a different angle for batters to look at and this makes him somewhat difficult but it's also a reason why his fastball lacks zip. He owns a cross body no hitter against the Twins. Lets hope the Twins get at least one hit today.

3. Depth -- This should really be thought #1 today... With all of the concern expressed by Gardenhire over not having a backup catcher at times. Unless I'm missing someone... No one has been flown to Anaheim to serve as a backup at 2B, 3B, SS and CF. I'm pretty sure that Fuld, Dozier, Escobar and Florimon will be in the lineup today because they have nobody else. With an injury to any of those 4 players today. The Twins will have to throw someone at 3B with absolutely no 3B experience... Mauer or Fryer or Hammer. If Fuld gets hurt... Parmelee in CF. I don't blame the Twins front office for lacking IF depth today. Everybody got hurt at once and the Twins have done quite a bit to supply IF depth this year... Although... I'm not sure why someone wasn't placed in an airplane last night when Santana came off the field. I do continue to point fingers at the Twins for the lack of organizational depth at CF.

4. Why Not Us -- This was a front office statement after signing Kendrys Morales... I agree and I say it all the time... Why not Us??? However... Let's get it going... The Tigers have won 6 in a row and the Twins are currently 7 games back and 4.5 back from the last wildcard spot. The Twins need to get it going and it will be helpful to get some players back from the DL and get out of L.A.

5. Marriage -- I work with someone who has been dating this girl for a little less than a year. She stopped by work this morning and I chatted with both of them for a bit. During the course of the small talk... The subject of marriage came up and I mentioned that I will have been married for 24 years next month. She looked at her boyfriend and said "I'm hoping to get married one day". He replied... "You're terrific... You are going to make a great wife... I hope you meet someone wonderful". I laughed out loud and she punched him.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 06-26-2014 at 01:18 PM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

2. These 7 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (06-26-2014), Circus Boy (06-26-2014), glunn (06-26-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-26-2014), JB_Iowa (06-26-2014), jokin (06-26-2014), Willihammer (06-26-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    The Twins need to get it going and it will be helpful to get some players back from the DL and get out of L.A.
    Snake Plissken reference in 3...2...1...

4. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (06-26-2014), James (06-26-2014), Riverbrian (06-26-2014)

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    My only thought when I hear "Northridge"?

Earthquake.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    My only thought when I hear "Northridge"?

Earthquake.
    It's also kind-of infamous for a certain industry genre of "celluloid heroes"...

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Gardy exactly one hour behind Scioscia in getting his lineup posted today. (But...he did have a little set of distractions today )

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It's also kind-of infamous for a certain industry genre of "celluloid heroes"...
    Yeah, but I'm 58 and female. I have a whole different world view.

9. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Well Riverbrian, USA loses but wins.

11. This user likes kdrupp09's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (06-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer sampleSizeOfOne's Avatar
    Liked 480 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Well Riverbrian, USA loses but wins.
    A time honored tradition of backing into the playoffs...

13. These 4 users like sampleSizeOfOne's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-26-2014), James (06-26-2014), Riverbrian (06-26-2014), USAFChief (06-26-2014)

When will the World Cup be over? I want to anxiously count the days.

15. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer sampleSizeOfOne's Avatar
    Liked 480 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    When will the World Cup be over? I want to anxiously count the days.
    Looking at bracket schedule, 7/13 is the finals of the world cup. Though from here on, ~4 days of rest between rounds, and it is a strict tournament so each subsequent round has half the number of games of the previous round (excepting the runner up game the day before the finals)

17. This user likes sampleSizeOfOne's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (06-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    So, Does Jorge Polanco get his ML Debut today? Pinch hitting for P-Flo in the ninth, perhaps?

19. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-26-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,905 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    So, Does Jorge Polanco get his ML Debut today? Pinch hitting for P-Flo in the ninth, perhaps?
    I was sort of wondering, and not really believing they would, because that would be a little bit too much, if they were gonna put him in the lineup since it was so late to be posted. I wonder if they did think about it and how many different lineup configurations they went through (or maybe none) before settling on what we have. How's that for saying nothing?

21. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    My guess is he's just going to sit and watch today - but then again he might be asked to pinch run for Morales or something like that...

What is the over under of stranding runners in scoring position by Chris Parmalee and Pedro Florimon today. I'm setting the line at 4 and taking the under. Weaver will walk guys today and Parmalee and Florimon are going to strand a couple. I'm predicting two players left on base for in scoring postion by Parmalee and 1 by Florimon so I'm taking the under. Twins lose 4-1 today with the lone score coming off Arcia knocking in Morales. Florimon only 1 because he will only get two at bats before they have to pinch hit for him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Jorge will make more money today than he ever has in his life! I hope he gets to play some the next few days. And that Santana isn't hurt to bad. No reports on his injury yet?

25. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-26-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the circumstances, my only complaint is that Dozier should be leading off and everybody moved up a spot, with Fuld at #9. I'm ready for the Eddie Rosario era to start in center field BTW.

27. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kdrupp09 (06-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    So what will Nolasco bring today, his so so 5 innings and mail it in again in the 6th? He's been a flop so far and we need a win in this series.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Given the circumstances, my only complaint is that Dozier should be leading off and everybody moved up a spot, with Fuld at #9. I'm ready for the Eddie Rosario era to start in center field BTW.
    I agree I am ready to see Rosario!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Great top of the 1st for the Twins, 3 up 3 strikeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by sampleSizeOfOne View Post
    Looking at bracket schedule, 7/13 is the finals of the world cup. Though from here on, ~4 days of rest between rounds, and it is a strict tournament so each subsequent round has half the number of games of the previous round (excepting the runner up game the day before the finals)
    Thank you. So I'll just figure on the AS break providing more than one type of relief.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast