Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Call Up Jorge Polanco Directly From Single-A

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    We know Floriman is filler, give another guy a chance.
    I wouldn't have a problem with dropping Florimon and bringing up Beresford or Romero.

But I wouldn't expect that to be a short term move. I think we need to wait until we get a little stability back in Plouffe and Nunez. Then see what is happening with Santana.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Fair enough, JB, but injury after injury, none of these AAA guys are getting a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Fair enough, JB, but injury after injury, none of these AAA guys are getting a shot.
    I know, Mike. And I really would rather see prospects playing but I keep telling myself that it is only June and that the Twins were hanging around .500 (although on the low side).

When we get to August, though, my standards and expectations for seeing prospects will be a lot different unless the Twins show some real winning streaks in the next month.

4. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-28-2014)

I HOPE Gardenhire puts him in sometime this weekend. What a thrill for him. And actually, what a thrill for us fans since things have gotten a little stale w/P-Flo out there.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even if it is out of necessity and not permanent, this is so awesome I could cry.

7. These 2 users like Sam Morley's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (06-26-2014), Seth Stohs (06-27-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Not if he's going to start the Futures Game.
    You'd rather have him in the Futures game than here?

9. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-26-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This has to mean May is going to get the call in a few days, right?

I can't imagine that they will go back to Deduno that quickly...

11. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-26-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I will be disappointed if they go with Deduno again. They have other options. Time to move on.

13. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-26-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The door is open for someone other than Pino to start on Monday. Pino can't be recalled unless there is a new injury. I think it will be May, but Johnson and Darnell are on the 40-man roster.

Also, I don't get the Florimon hate. His numbers this year are miserable, but he was a positive WAR player last year. He isn't old (27-28) and he does offer some base stealing speed. I don't worship at the altar of WAR and I think the Twins belatedly made the absolute right call in sending P-Flo down. In fact, IMHO, Florimon should be DFAed if the club needs more space on the 40-man. That is not to minimize what Florimon does very well--play very good defense at shortstop. Until Santana's injury, Florimon had two PAs in ten days. Why waste a 40-man move to do that to someone else and then perhaps lose both the player designated and the guy promoted in a few days?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just hope Polanco gets a start before getting sent down again. I realize it's more emergency move than anything else until somebody gets off the DL, but getting called up and then not playing would really suck.

I want somebody to get the "behind-the-scenes" for the conversation when he found out though. Being at A+ ball he'd have to believe he was getting pranked at first.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I can understand why this is happening given the circumstances, but can anyone recall the Twins calling a player up to debut in the bigs from single A? I can't...
    Kent Hrbek?

The three straight whiff swings last night to end the game did not bother you? The constant strikeouts, or stranding runners on 1st and third with two outs time and time again like a record on repeat. You can correlate a lot of close losses this season to Pedro Florimon at bats especially in April even when the pitching was down.
    How many times has Florimon at least reached base this year? The dude is batting like less than 110 with runners in scoring position? He has had a ton of errors while at Rochester so it was not like he was playing stellar defense. Even the 25th man has to offer some value.
    Florimon he is a waste of a 40 and 25 man roster spot, he is far to much of a liability at the plate to play, even in a reserve roll your giving away an out every time he is up. He is here only because he is on the 40 man and the injury's, has a cheap contract, and Gardy likes him, it is not a deserved role on an MLB club.
    This fiasco of having to call up a guy like Polanco all starts with keeping Barttlet and Florion when neither guy really earned a spot coming out of spring training. The Twins have mismanged there roster a lot this year. Florimon is taking up a shot and opportunity that should be going to somone else, don't care who or what player it is, just that Twins management finally gives somebody else a chance.
    Last edited by jaimedude2; 06-26-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Florimon = Ted Williams. He just needs a little more time.
    He (hopefully) needs a lot more time. And a cryonic freezer for his head.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give that man a cuppa coffee! Drink it while it's hot, Jorge!

Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    I just hope Polanco gets a start before getting sent down again. I realize it's more emergency move than anything else until somebody gets off the DL, but getting called up and then not playing would really suck.
    I hope if he gets a start it is as DH. As of the end of May he had 16 errors at Ft. Myers. Defensively he is very much a work in progress. (I don't know June stats just got back in the states after a vacation). I firmly believe his future (maybe 2016 or 17) in the majors is at 2B or OF. I don't want to see him play 9 innings at SS.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really excited for Jorge! Would imagine that even getting a small taste of Big League life will just make him want to work all that much harder to get back up there after his cup of coffee is over.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    I hope if he gets a start it is as DH. As of the end of May he had 16 errors at Ft. Myers. Defensively he is very much a work in progress. (I don't know June stats just got back in the states after a vacation). I firmly believe his future (maybe 2016 or 17) in the majors is at 2B or OF. I don't want to see him play 9 innings at SS.
    I can't really disagree with any of your analysis per se, but we're also running out P-Flo and his .325 OPS at short right now. Ozzie Smith can't overcome that batting line with his defense, so I'd be tempted to try a left-handed Parmelee at short at this point as an alternative to watching Florimon not-hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimedude2 View Post
    I was a kid but if memory serves me correctly Hrbek was called up directly to the big leagues from Class A Visalia affiliate of the Twins.
    I thought Kirby Puckett was also called up from class A ball, but now do not think that was the case.
    Buch Wynegar (age20) and Rod Carew (age 21) both made the Twins out of Spring Training after only playing A ball in the minors. Like Hrbek, neither ever looked back.

Bert Blyleven was A ball + 7 starts in AAA (skipped AA) before being summoned for good at age 19.

Very un-Twins and very cool. I don't care if he goes 0-20 as long as he gets to play. I can't come up with a single reason that Florimon should start over Polanco.

25. These 2 users like beyondclarity's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-26-2014), USAFChief (06-26-2014)

Trying to make the connection....Pino goes down...Polanco probably goes down when Plouffe is ready...we need another SP again, right? Is it Trevor May time?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast