Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 107

Thread: Article: Twins Call Up Jorge Polanco Directly From Single-A

  1. #21
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    215
    Like
    11
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Assuming this is only temporary until Plouffe or Nunez come off the DL (or until Santana is deemed healthy), what impact will this have on his service time calculations going forward?

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,147
    Like
    101
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Pretty crazy. My gut says he is up for 3-4 days, then he or someone else is sent down for May or Johnson (please be May). I am guessing Polanco thought it was a joke and he was being filmed when they told him.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,680
    Like
    307
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    OK, so of the 09 international signings (Sano, Kepler and Polanco) who had Polanco reaching the majors first? Anyone? Baseball is strange.

    Hope he makes it a tough decision to send him back down.

  4. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (06-26-2014)

  5. #24
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    110
    Like
    4
    Liked 88 Times in 31 Posts
    I mentioned this possibility to my roommate last night when I was perusing the 40 man and he laughed at me. I'm looking forward to seeing the kid for a few games, hope he does well.

  6. #25
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,752
    Like
    877
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    OK, so of the 09 international signings (Sano, Kepler and Polanco) who had Polanco reaching the majors first? Anyone? Baseball is strange.

    Hope he makes it a tough decision to send him back down.
    I'd settle for a tough decision to continue to justify keeping P-Flo on the 40-man.

  7. #26
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    The 40-man roster issues are legitimate in the Twins' way of thinking. They don't want to add a guy just to subtract him, and either Bernier or Romero would have the option to be FAs if they were designated after being added. I hope Polanco gets an AB, who would have thought he would be in the majors before Sano, Buxton, Rosario, Meyer and May?

  8. #27
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    So, if Romero is not good enough to come up, why do you worry about losing him, as I've asked before.......if you won't call him up, he's not really depth.

    I am utterly shocked by this move.
    Lighten up Francis....

  9. #28
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    It is my understanding that Nuńez will rehab in New Britain this weekend and be ready to be activated when he is eligible. I have read some other posts suggesting he won't be ready when he could be activated, but I think I'm right. If this is the case, both Polanco and Florimon will be history next Monday. Of course, that depends on whether Santana avoids the DL.

  10. #29
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,680
    Like
    307
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So, if Romero is not good enough to come up, why do you worry about losing him, as I've asked before.......if you won't call him up, he's not really depth.

    I am utterly shocked by this move.
    I think, and I could be wrong, that 1) the Twins expect one of Nunez/Plouffe to be back soon so they only needed a few days to be covered 2) Romero isn't really a MI and they wanted someone who could play short.

  11. #30
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    155
    Like
    19
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    If Pino goes to Rochester, does that mean that Deduno returns to the rotation? Or they will promote May and send Polanco down when the rotation spot comes?

  12. #31
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    159
    Like
    1
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Assuming this is only temporary until Plouffe or Nunez come off the DL (or until Santana is deemed healthy), what impact will this have on his service time calculations going forward?
    This is my understanding, which may be wrong as I am not an expert. Once you are on the 40 man roster you are required to use an "option" if that player is going to play in the minors so this should not affect the number of options he has. Any time he is up in the majors goes towards his service clock so the .1 or .2 years he spends up here while Plouffe and Nunez are getting healthy would count towards service time. It is doubtful this would allow him to become a free agent any quicker but there is an outside chance it could get him to super-2 status.

  13. #32

    I believe Hrbek was also called up from Class A Visalia

    Quote Originally Posted by RonCoomer View Post
    I believe Kent Hrbek was called up straight from A-ball.
    I was a kid but if memory serves me correctly Hrbek was called up directly to the big leagues from Class A Visalia affiliate of the Twins.
    I thought Kirby Puckett was also called up from class A ball, but now do not think that was the case.

  14. #33
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,829
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,424
    Liked 1,932 Times in 1,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adjacent View Post
    If Pino goes to Rochester, does that mean that Deduno returns to the rotation? Or they will promote May and send Polanco down when the rotation spot comes?
    I'm hoping that when it's time in the rotation, May gets a call and someone goes down or is DFAd

  15. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    diehardtwinsfan (06-26-2014)

  16. #34
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,752
    Like
    877
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    I'm hoping that when it's time in the rotation, May gets a call and someone goes down or is DFAd
    Not if he's going to start the Futures Game.

  17. #35
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    One would almost have to think that he will be sent to New Britian after this. I mean it would be pretty weird to jump from A+ to the majors for a few days and then be sent all the way down again!

  18. These 3 users like Shane Wahl's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    DocBauer (06-28-2014), gil4 (06-26-2014), Mike Frasier Law (06-26-2014)

  19. #36
    I wonder what the justification for keeping Florimon up is????? This has to frusturate the heck out of guys at AAA that are hitting well and watching Florimon WHIFF and swing like he swinging at a whiffle ball at bat after at bat. 25th man or not Florimon is not a big leauger, even if Ryan and Gardenhire think so. Jamie

  20. #37
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,330
    Like
    1,305
    Liked 1,288 Times in 743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimedude2 View Post
    I wonder what the justification for keeping Florimon up is????? This has to frusturate the heck out of guys at AAA that are hitting well and watching Florimon WHIFF and swing like he swinging at a whiffle ball at bat after at bat. 25th man or not Florimon is not a big leauger, even if Ryan and Gardenhire think so. Jamie
    At the moment I would say it is a severe dearth of middle infielders. Plus who at AAA is a middle infielder that really looks like a prospect rather than as filler?

  21. #38
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    We know Floriman is filler, give another guy a chance.

  22. #39
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,147
    Like
    101
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    We know Floriman is filler, give another guy a chance.
    Florimon = Ted Williams. He just needs a little more time.

  23. #40
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,683
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 86 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    323

    Article: Twins Call Up Jorge Polanco Directly From Single-A


Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.