Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Call Up Jorge Polanco Directly From Single-A

Liked 103 Times in 61 Posts
    Wow didn't see this coming. Seems like a waste of an option year doesn't it? I expected something more along the lines of Romero getting called up, but gotta keep those under preforming relievers, where would we be without Burton or Guerrier.

All the aside I am happy for him and I think he is going to be a pretty good big leaguer in the future.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did they use this years option when they sent him to A-Ball in the spring?

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Puckett had a full season of high A and 80 plate appearances at AAA Toledo before his pro debut, but also played a bit of college ball.

Carew and Blyleven were Hall of Famers, and it's not terribly unusual for players of that caliber to reach the majors at 21 or even 20. Hrbek and Wynegar weren't HoF material, but they both made the ASG in their first full seasons, and were above average players with long careers.

Another thing to put Polanco's promotion into perspective is that all five of those promotions occurred under the ownership of Calvin Griffith, and the Twins tended to promote young players aggressively in part due to their low salaries and the holes created by the constant free agent departures and trades necessitated by the Twins' microscopic budget.

The Polanco promotion will probably not have a dramatic impact on either him or the franchise, but it's another example of a disturbing tendency for the Twins to suddenly find themselves scraping the bottom of the depth barrel.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    This has to mean May is going to get the call in a few days, right?

I can't imagine that they will go back to Deduno that quickly...
    Kris Johnson?

If they call up May, can he still play in the futures game?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Maybe Burdi will do this too. .....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Did they use this years option when they sent him to A-Ball in the spring?
    Yup, when anybody on the 40 gets sent to the minors out of spring training and spends more than 20 day there, it uses up an option. So the Twins had nothing to lose in that regard.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    You'd rather have him in the Futures game than here?
    Huh? Is that what I said.....? <I don't think sooo>

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Yup, when anybody on the 40 gets sent to the minors out of spring training and spends more than 20 day there, it uses up an option. So the Twins had nothing to lose in that regard.
    I think the only legit concern is he is building service time which could make him more likely to get super 2 status at some point in the future. The only negative is a minimum salary year is replaced with an arbitration year so that is not even that bad.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/super-two/

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this means Polanco is guaranteed to get called up in September. Now that we've used his first option, you'd think they wouldn't waste it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    I think this means Polanco is guaranteed to get called up in September. Now that we've used his first option, you'd think they wouldn't waste it.
    They didn't just use the option, though -- they used it in March when they reassigned him to minor league camp. They similarly already used an option year for Vargas, who I suspect we should see in September.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco was the only available player on the 40-man roster with the ability to play everywhere in the infield
    Not true. Never played first base and he has 14 career appearances at third and those in GCL in 2011. He is a shortstop now and his play at shortstop with the glove has been improved the less he moves around. He is the best SS prospect the Twins have, the worst thing they can do is to start moving him around again.

With Plouffe expected to return from the disabled list on Monday, the Twins can slide Pedro Florimon or Eduardo Escobar back into a backup role.
    Hopefully Florimon will go away when both Nunez and Plouffe return. Escobar was the starting SS last time I checked. I suspect that Gardy will use Santana as the centerfielder when healthy again.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    This has to mean May is going to get the call in a few days, right?

I can't imagine that they will go back to Deduno that quickly...
    Totally agree and kinda hoped that Deduno (and not Pino) took the axe. That said, something in the back of my head says that Swarzak might start that game... Not that I like it, but it is how they roll.

Also to get another pitcher up here, they need to move one. They had 13
    Last edited by Thrylos; 06-26-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    -----

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Now Polanco leads the team in OPS!!!!

Edit: And I just made it to the big leagues - same day a Jorge!!

14. These 2 users like ScottyB's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-26-2014), mike wants wins (06-26-2014)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Totally agree and kinda hoped that Deduno (and not Pino) took the axe. That said, something in the back of my head says that Swarzak might start that game... Not that I like it, but it is how they roll.

Also to get another pitcher up here, they need to move one. They had 13
    They still need to move a pitcher right? Unless they want to go back to 13 pitchers with Santana still D2D.
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    They still need to move a pitcher right? Unless they want to go back to 13 pitchers with Santana still D2D.
    They are at 12 now. Which might mean that one of the 12 is starting in 4 days. If that is the case, I think that it will be Swarzak and not Deduno. When Plouffe and Nunez return, a couple of position players (Florimon and Polanco?) will likely go down
    -----

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Completely out of left field! But kind of fun. I am also hoping he gets at least a few innings and AB's while up. I'm a big believer in his future, and this does bode well for a September call up. As I understand the rules, once a call up happens, he can go down and big up multiple times. The option is for the year, yes?

I do think it's rather strange that some blast the Twins for roster mismanagement, and want the Twins to promote youngsters, but then hammer the Twins for brining up Polanco, even briefly.

In regard to roster mismanagement in certain areas, I've softened my stance somewhat. Not offering excuses, but in regard to some issues in the infield, I think the FO simply played a gambling hand and lost. I now believe they were banking on Florimon and Bartlett, as example, for a half season to a full one. Trying to just buy some time. Obviously their bluff got called. Which is the reason they acquired the useful Nunez. But a moment of perspective please. They did trade for Nunez, they did elevate Escobar, and they did promote Santana in place of just sticking with Florimon or promoting Bernier like everyone thought. And much like our OF situation earlier, who saw 3 infielders all getting injured at the same time? These kind of things are just impossible to predict or prepare for. Unlike the OF situation, we might be looking at much shorter term situations.

Anything longer, if the baseball gods continue to curse us, as I mentioned in a companion thread on Santana, then a move simply must be made to get Romero up here.

Also mentioned in this thread, I think May's time has just about come. For various reasons, I don't know that it will happen in the next few days, however. With some impending roster shuffling of Plouffe, possibly Nunez, I wonder if Deduno might not get another start while the dust settles. Just wondering if. Would be kind of a shame for May to miss the Futures Game now that he's been added, but I don't think will stop the Twins from making a move that needs to be made. If he's really ready to be at least solid...well...suddenly a lot of things start to look that much more interesting/hopeful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    I think the only legit concern is he is building service time which could make him more likely to get super 2 status at some point in the future. The only negative is a minimum salary year is replaced with an arbitration year so that is not even that bad.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/super-two/
    Something to keep an eye on, but if it's just a cup o' coffee, it shouldn't be a problem. After all, Santana is just day-to-day, which for a Twins player means that they are somewhere between playing tomorrow and abducted by aliens.

Kidding, but for real, it should be ok. But just the fact that an A ball kid is up with the big club because of yet another injury/depth crisis is cause for frustration and concern. Really happy and relieved for him that he succeeded under pressure in his less-than-ideal debut situation.

19. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-26-2014), jokin (06-26-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I don't thin calling someone up from A ball indicates any change in philosophy, do you? This is a unique occurrence, and does not have much to do with speed of promotions in general.
    Lighten up Francis....

21. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-26-2014)

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    They are at 12 now. Which might mean that one of the 12 is starting in 4 days. If that is the case, I think that it will be Swarzak and not Deduno. When Plouffe and Nunez return, a couple of position players (Florimon and Polanco?) will likely go down
    Hmmmm... I guess I was under the impression that May, Darnell, or Johnson would get that start, but knowing Gardy, he might just stretch out Swarzak. At this point I'd rather see Deduno back in the rotation than see Swarzak start.... but Deduno is a good long reliever.

Also... Is Nunez close to returning soon?

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Completely out of left field!.
    I love this metaphor to describe Polanco's call up. I don't know why.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast