Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florimon

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I sure understand the Florimon dislike. Still, it took 2 injuries to get him back to the majors and 3 injuries to get him into the starting lineup. He should be back in the minors in a few days. As to why he his starting instead of Polanco, it is probably easier to loss a game in the field rather than win one with the bat. Polanco, without the 3 injuries to infielders, would be hoping for a promotion to AA pretty soon. He doesn't belong in the majors, yet.

I expect the Twins will keep Florimon around, rather than release him, for a little while. If Escobar or more likely Santana can establish themselves as a reliable shortstop, well then release Florimon. Florimon is still the best defensive shortstop the Twins have. If the other two can't be consistent big league shortstops, Florimon could reemerge as a starter. I don't really think that will happen, but I didn't think either Escobar or Santana would be 300 hitters in the majors either. And they probably won't be, it sort of depends where their bats settle into at the major league level.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I expect Florimon to stay on the 40 man roster too. He's exactly the kind of player you want to accumulate if the goal is to lose 90 plus games season after season.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

3. These 6 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-28-2014), Kwak (06-28-2014), mike wants wins (06-30-2014), raindog (06-28-2014), twinsnorth49 (06-28-2014), Willihammer (06-30-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,267 Times in 678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    As to why he his starting instead of Polanco, it is probably easier to loss a game in the field rather than win one with the bat. Polanco, without the 3 injuries to infielders, would be hoping for a promotion to AA pretty soon. He doesn't belong in the majors, yet.
    Neither does Florimon, they know what Florimon brings and at the plate it's nothing, for such a short stint they might as well expose Polanco to some major league pitching and see what they get. I'll take my chances with him in the field as opposed to Florimon at the plate.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    The real problem here is they have way too many players that contribute to 90 losses year after year don't they?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    If Polanco were to start it would be with Hughes and his fly ball tendency.
    With Hughes in the mound, Florimon was in the game to field one ground ball.

Gibson is the opposite extreme among the Twins starters. His ground ball rate is 56% compared to 36% for Hughes.

If Gardenhire thought through the line ups this weekend shouldn't this have been the game to start Polanco with his poor defensive reputation? Wouldn't you want the best possible infield for Gibson? Perhaps Florimon will start tomorrow also.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Neither does Florimon, they know what Florimon brings and at the plate it's nothing, for such a short stint they might as well expose Polanco to some major league pitching and see what they get. I'll take my chances with him in the field as opposed to Florimon at the plate.
    This. A lot of great quotes to copy. But I think this one sums it up most succinctly.

I just don't get it! I'm a Gardy fan and supporter, but I just don't get the Florimon support at this point. And I came in to this season as a Florimon supporter, so consider that before I continue. I loved watching him in the field. And I truly believed, speculated, hoped we'd see some natural progression from him after last seasons experience. He's a good enough athlete, with a mostly solid first half of 2013, that I thought we might see a .240-ish hitter this year, with a following uptick in OB, that would result in a few more extra base hits and more SB opportunities.

But it alas, he has not only regressed, he is in the midst of one of the worst seasons I have EVER seen in all of my years. I get he helped us last year. I get he's probably a good kid and working hard. And I get Gardy's and the Twin's sense of loyalty. And I completely get it and understand it. But there is a point where absurd meets ridiculous at a crossroads, and this is it. In fact, I think the exit was a mile or two back. Florimon barely made contact at Rochester, and made huge error numbers while there. I understand there were dual injuries suddenly, but logic and the same Twins loyalty, along with basic smarts, clearly indicated a move to bring Romero up instead.

You'd have a natural 3B actually playing 3B, even if his defense is somewhat suspect. But he offers infinitely more offense than Florimon, and keeps Escobat at SS where he's been excelling. Instead, we disrupt two positions in the infield instead of one.

And then comes the third injury, this time to Santana. The same all applies to the Romero promotion. But if you're going to bring up Polanco, there is less pressure to have to play with him with Escobar staying at short. But even then, if you do have Florimon up, why not let Polanco actually play for a few games? What's he going to do, hit worse than Florimon? I'd much rather have the kid get a couple games under his belt for a ML taste while he's here. And could he really play so poorly in the field that a hit or two, even a couple walks or productive outs still couldn't be better than having Florimon in the lineup?

Let's be honest. It's not mean spirited to state that probably every other team in baseball would have already DFA'ed Florimon at this point. The moves made and not made the past couple of weeks have me more than frustrated, downright dumbfounded and angry.

8. These 9 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (06-30-2014), glunn (06-28-2014), jokin (06-29-2014), Kevin (06-28-2014), Mr. Brooks (06-28-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (06-28-2014), Tibs (06-29-2014), twinsnorth49 (06-29-2014), USAFChief (06-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    This. A lot of great quotes to copy. But I think this one sums it up most succinctly.

I just don't get it! I'm a Gardy fan and supporter, but I just don't get the Florimon support at this point. And I came in to this season as a Florimon supporter, so consider that before I continue. I loved watching him in the field. And I truly believed, speculated, hoped we'd see some natural progression from him after last seasons experience. He's a good enough athlete, with a mostly solid first half of 2013, that I thought we might see a .240-ish hitter this year, with a following uptick in OB, that would result in a few more extra base hits and more SB opportunities.

But it alas, he has not only regressed, he is in the midst of one of the worst seasons I have EVER seen in all of my years. I get he helped us last year. I get he's probably a good kid and working hard. And I get Gardy's and the Twin's sense of loyalty. And I completely get it and understand it. But there is a point where absurd meets ridiculous at a crossroads, and this is it. In fact, I think the exit was a mile or two back. Florimon barely made contact at Rochester, and made huge error numbers while there. I understand there were dual injuries suddenly, but logic and the same Twins loyalty, along with basic smarts, clearly indicated a move to bring Romero up instead.

You'd have a natural 3B actually playing 3B, even if his defense is somewhat suspect. But he offers infinitely more offense than Florimon, and keeps Escobat at SS where he's been excelling. Instead, we disrupt two positions in the infield instead of one.

And then comes the third injury, this time to Santana. The same all applies to the Romero promotion. But if you're going to bring up Polanco, there is less pressure to have to play with him with Escobar staying at short. But even then, if you do have Florimon up, why not let Polanco actually play for a few games? What's he going to do, hit worse than Florimon? I'd much rather have the kid get a couple games under his belt for a ML taste while he's here. And could he really play so poorly in the field that a hit or two, even a couple walks or productive outs still couldn't be better than having Florimon in the lineup?

Let's be honest. It's not mean spirited to state that probably every other team in baseball would have already DFA'ed Florimon at this point. The moves made and not made the past couple of weeks have me more than frustrated, downright dumbfounded and angry.

Excellent post, all around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I don't think this is a scholarship issue. Florimon gets the league minimum... This one is on Gardy.
    Is this like a "sponsor's exemption" used in golf tournaments?

Others have expressed my frustration about Florimon's truly wretched hitting. (Seriously, sometimes I think I'm watching a leffhanded version of Dean Chance at the plate. Tom Nieto, Florimon? I'll take Nieto.) But I'm not impressed with Florimon's fielding either. He's erratic-witness the wildly offline throw he made to home today, witness the misplayed popup in the Angel series. And those of you who defended the decison to go with Florimon based on some defensive metrics you got a hold of.....hope you learned your lesson. Stay away from that s.......stuff!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Anyone else notice that in one weekend Polanco matched Florimon in doubles, triples and tripled his RBI total while spending most of the time on the bench?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    The real problem here is they have way too many players that contribute to 90 losses year after year don't they?
    nope. They real problem is that they are keeping the front office that assembles these players and the manager who is playing them and the coaches who are trying to make them better, year after year.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

14. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

drivlikejehu (06-29-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The other thing that has to be mentioned in this thread is that there has been a general impression (among people who have never seen him play and among the ones who love to propagate generalizations) regarding Polanco's glove. And you will hear comments left and right about his "errors" by Twins' staff, bear writers and bloggers. But if you watched the kid play and followed him since when he was signed (the same year with Sano btw) you'd know that he was a glove first guy who worked really hard with the bat (and now he has exceptional eye and contact skills and looks like he will develop power) and for some reason the Twins have played Round Robin with him around the infield. You saw him play SS today (if you watched the game.) His errors declined massively after his 30th game at SS this season at Fort Myers. He needs to play consistently at his position. That simple.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

16. These 3 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-29-2014), jokin (06-29-2014), jorgenswest (06-29-2014)

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    That simple.
    Although I agree with you and hope that you are correct, I question whether these matters are ever simple.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The other thing that has to be mentioned in this thread is that there has been a general impression (among people who have never seen him play and among the ones who love to propagate generalizations) regarding Polanco's glove. And you will hear comments left and right about his "errors" by Twins' staff, bear writers and bloggers. But if you watched the kid play and followed him since when he was signed (the same year with Sano btw) you'd know that he was a glove first guy who worked really hard with the bat (and now he has exceptional eye and contact skills and looks like he will develop power) and for some reason the Twins have played Round Robin with him around the infield. You saw him play SS today (if you watched the game.) His errors declined massively after his 30th game at SS this season at Fort Myers. He needs to play consistently at his position. That simple.
    He looked good in yesterday's game. He turned two DP's and started a third, and he made at least one nice play in the field. He did butcher the run-down on Beltre, getting rid of the ball too soon and not allowing time for anyone to cover behind him, but that was probably just him worrying about the speed of the game and overcompensating a bit. His double was an excuse-me fluke hit, but his fly out to right was the hardest hit ball for the Twins on the game and probably would have found the gap if it wasn't held up by the wind.

On Friday night he made the ninth inning interesting, and on Sunday he played a key role in the win. I'd say he had a pretty good week-end.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    My opinion has not changed, and it won't. He's not even an adequate player......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The manager loves Florimon because he is a better version of himself, a no-hit infielder who "can really pick it." As long as Florimon is on the roster, he will play nearly everyday. The only solution is to activate Nunez from the DL and option Florimon. That strategy was the only way to get Escobar the playing time he needed to show he was an upgrade. It's eerily similar to the Juan Castro years, when Ryan had to trade Castro to keep Gardy from playing him.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

21. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Winston Smith (06-30-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    He looked good in yesterday's game. He turned two DP's and started a third, and he made at least one nice play in the field. He did butcher the run-down on Beltre, getting rid of the ball too soon and not allowing time for anyone to cover behind him, but that was probably just him worrying about the speed of the game and overcompensating a bit. His double was an excuse-me fluke hit, but his fly out to right was the hardest hit ball for the Twins on the game and probably would have found the gap if it wasn't held up by the wind.

On Friday night he made the ninth inning interesting, and on Sunday he played a key role in the win. I'd say he had a pretty good week-end.
    Yup, after the rundown, I thought "rookie mistake" liable to get him in Gardy's doghouse, but Gardy put ended up putting much of the blame on Escobar being late to covering 2nd base.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Every time the Twins have a runner in a run-down I expect them to botch it. They haven't been particularly good at executing those for a long time.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Every time the Twins have a runner in a run-down I expect them to botch it. They haven't been particularly good at executing those for a long time.
    Boy oh boy, Boom Boom, that is a great point- they screwed one up just the day before. It would have been ludicrous for Gardy to have laid all the blame on Polanco, I'm glad Gardy apparently realized that.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Florimon has no business being on a major league roster, and honestly once Santana/Escobar/Nunez etc are all healthy/rostered at the same time, Florimon should be taken off the 40 man. Likely this will happen soon enough anyways.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast