Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Article: Kernels Nuggets: Thorpe Notches First MWL Win

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Article: Kernels Nuggets: Thorpe Wins First Game


  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    645
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Based off stat lines alone I would say Thorpes been pitching tentatively. Too many walks for the kid.
    Great Updates
    Any update on Rosario & Landa?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Double-A MWLFan's Avatar
    Posts
    197
    Like
    9
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    14
    Was there last night and Thorpe looked good. A lot of ground balls and he was really changing speeds with fastballs in the low 90's and the his off speed stuff dropping to the low 70's. For the most part the Clinton hitters were kept guessing and off balance. As Seth pointed out his one bad inning was really extended by a wicked bad hop that was right at Altobelli for a easy out and took a bounce a good 7 feet over his head. Shame as it would have got Thorpe out of the inning with minimal damage. If you have not gotten to Cedar Rapids to catch a game you should go! Great stadium, good food, my 15 year old loves the 1 pound hamburger piled high and our gluten free friends were impressed with the selections they had, also a really nice beer selection and not a bad seat in the house for really good prices. We had seven seats behind home plate for 10 each under the over hang. Gotta love minor league ball.

  4. This user likes MWLFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Tibs (06-28-2014)

  5. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    No new updates. Randy Rosario had Tommy John surgery a month or more ago. Yorman Lands had shoulder surgery last week.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    699
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Like
    498
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    Was there last night and Thorpe looked good. A lot of ground balls and he was really changing speeds with fastballs in the low 90's and the his off speed stuff dropping to the low 70's. For the most part the Clinton hitters were kept guessing and off balance. As Seth pointed out his one bad inning was really extended by a wicked bad hop that was right at Altobelli for a easy out and took a bounce a good 7 feet over his head. Shame as it would have got Thorpe out of the inning with minimal damage. If you have not gotten to Cedar Rapids to catch a game you should go! Great stadium, good food, my 15 year old loves the 1 pound hamburger piled high and our gluten free friends were impressed with the selections they had, also a really nice beer selection and not a bad seat in the house for really good prices. We had seven seats behind home plate for 10 each under the over hang. Gotta love minor league ball.
    I have 3 seats behind the plate tonight. I can't wait to see their game. I've only heard good things about the field.

    That would be pretty neat if I got to see Burdi pitch tonight!
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    559
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Like
    29
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    51
    Really nice to see some positive comments about your experiences in CR. Obviously, I'm pretty biased, but I think GM Doug Nelson and his crew do an outstanding job providing a fan-friendly experience.

    Food suggestion: A few weeks ago they opened up a food stand down the 1B line on the concourse called the Dugout. It features made to order food, including one of the best grilled tenderloins that I've had anywhere.

    Not working the game tonight for MSR, which means I don't have to wait until I get a story posted before my first beer.

    Also looking forward to seeing Burdi for the first time. Well, first time seeing him pitch anyway... I did buy his Autism Awareness jersey Friday night and met him after the game to have him sign it (Also came away with JD Williams' jersey).

    Now we just need to keep the rain away.

    Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  8. #7
    Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Posts
    164
    Like
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I'm bummed I didn't make it down there with you guys. Sounds awesome.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    484
    Like
    220
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    Really nice to see some positive comments about your experiences in CR. Obviously, I'm pretty biased, but I think GM Doug Nelson and his crew do an outstanding job providing a fan-friendly experience.

    Food suggestion: A few weeks ago they opened up a food stand down the 1B line on the concourse called the Dugout. It features made to order food, including one of the best grilled tenderloins that I've had anywhere.

    Not working the game tonight for MSR, which means I don't have to wait until I get a story posted before my first beer.

    Also looking forward to seeing Burdi for the first time. Well, first time seeing him pitch anyway... I did buy his Autism Awareness jersey Friday night and met him after the game to have him sign it (Also came away with JD Williams' jersey).

    Now we just need to keep the rain away.
    Man SD, you wet my appetite for Kernels baseball as well as ballpark food!

    How far away is Omaha anyway? I should have made it last season, but even with this being a bit of a down season, there is still good baseball, good prospects to watch, and good experiences to be had. I should try to plan a trip this summer with my father for some Kernels baseball.

  10. #9
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Man SD, you wet my appetite for Kernels baseball as well as ballpark food!

    How far away is Omaha anyway? I should have made it last season, but even with this being a bit of a down season, there is still good baseball, good prospects to watch, and good experiences to be had. I should try to plan a trip this summer with my father for some Kernels baseball.
    Omaha can't be more than about 3 hours, right? That's less than the cities, right? And, I know that it is less than the 12 or so hours I have ahead of me the next couple of days... but I will say that it's just great to see these guys play and start developing your own opinions.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    645
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No new updates. Randy Rosario had Tommy John surgery a month or more ago. Yorman Lands had shoulder surgery last week.
    !!!!
    Those are updates for me. Ive been in and out of the internet of late. Yikes.
    thanks I guess....

  12. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    559
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Like
    29
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Omaha can't be more than about 3 hours, right? That's less than the cities, right? And, I know that it is less than the 12 or so hours I have ahead of me the next couple of days... but I will say that it's just great to see these guys play and start developing your own opinions.
    Omaha is actually more like 4 hours from Cedar Rapids - maybe half an hour closer than the Twin Cities - but it's all interstate highway so it's an easy drive as long as you don't hit Des Moines at the wrong time.

    But yes, Doc, I think you'd find it worth the trip a time or two each year. Just don't bring all the dang rain with you when you come, like Seth did!

    Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.