Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Twins @ Rangers, 6/28 @ 3:05pm CT

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,905 Times in 1,114 Posts

Game Thread: Twins @ Rangers, 6/28 @ 3:05pm CT

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from right field at 15-20 m.p.h. Temperature around 90.

Twins:
    SP, Hughes

Fuld CF
    Dozier 2B
    Mauer 1B
    Morales DH
    Arcia RF
    Suzuki C
    Parmelee LF
    Escobar 3B
    Florimon SS

Rangers:
    SP, Darvish

Choo LF
    Andrus SS
    Pena 1B
    Beltre 3B
    Murphy DH
    Martin CF
    Gimenez C
    Choice RF
    Odor 2B

-----------------------------
    Okay, Brian ... give us something ... anything ... it will be appreciated!
    ----------------------------------------------
    Here' something... In Alaska a 180 pound Bear crashed through a skylight and ate the cupcakes they had out of their child's birthday party. It actually happened... I just read it in the paper. I'm wondering how they knew the Bear was 180 pounds? Did the bear weigh itself on the bathroom scale after eating the cupcakes? If so... It was probably a female bear.

Things to think about:

1. Uncle -- I didn't see the game last night and I won't get to watch today either. I wish I could comment about what I'm not seeing but I can't comment on what I'm not seeing because I didn't see it. I just know... the team has to start stringing some W's together and they kinda gotta start NOW!!!

2. Yu Darvish -- It's disappointing to be shut out for 7 plus by Nick Tepesch when the Twins need to start winning some games... And now the Twins are looking at you... I mean... Yu. These are team moments in the course of a season. Yu play them one at a time and Yu take them as they come. But... With You on deck... Yu kinda need to take it to someone named Tepesch when tomorrow is all about You. Things haven't been fantastic for you. You has been touched for 4 runs in 3 out of the past 4 starts. Is You vulnerable? I hope so... Because as a team Yu have put yourself in position that you will have to be vulnerable because Yu need the win... Both Yu and You are in a tough spot. In the end... it comes down to U.

3. Pedro Florimon -- When Pedro was merely hitting .219 and .221... I was never that worried about it. I knew .219 and .221 meant that were times when Pedro Florimon would help the team win a game. However... when you start talking about .093 batting average over 75 at bats... Then you are talking about rare air. I realize that the infield sky came crashing down on your head but .093 makes Butera look like Mel Ott. I'm not sure why I typed Mel Ott... His name just jumped out of my fingers but you all get the point. I will defend Pedro and his defense at .219. Nobody can defend .093. I totally get it that Polanco is here as much needed insurance. He's on the 40 man so nobody has to be kicked out to call up a non 40 man guy. I understand that he's going back as soon as Plouffe is ready... I get it and I support it... But my goodness... 75 at bats and a .093 batting average. Let's be clear... we are talking about history for a non-pitcher. I think it's Ok to play your 3 day insurance policy instead.

4. Phil Hughes -- Is starting today... About the worst thing that could happen is for Phil to spit the bit today. It's Yu vs. Hughes!!! Hughes is Yu plural!!!

5. Class Reunion -- I had a good time catching up with old classmates last night and look forward to doing so again tonight. My wife couldn't make it but she asked... How was it? I thought I'd come up with something funny to say... I said... "It was 50 shades of Grey"... Then she started wondering exactly what the hell went on.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 06-28-2014 at 03:05 PM.

2. These 6 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Circus Boy (06-28-2014), glunn (06-28-2014), JB_Iowa (06-28-2014), Oldgoat_MN (06-28-2014), Otwins (06-28-2014), Willihammer (06-28-2014)

Liked 1,268 Times in 733 Posts
    No Polanco again.

I heard Ron Gardenhire on the radio pregame say he didn't intend to start Polanco this weekend, that it wouldn't be fair to the kid
    per Edward Thoma

http://fpbaseballoutsider.blogspot.com/2014/06/if-polanco-is-here-he-should-play.html

Wouldn't be fair? How about letting him see what its really about???

4. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am disappointed Polanco isn't starting

6. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, I don't see the point in calling him up to do pinch hitter duty either.

8. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,905 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I am disappointed Polanco isn't starting
    Sigh. I think we all are. Unfortunately, the decision isn't ours to make. Now I'll have to decide ... to listen, or not to listen.

10. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014)

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add me to the list of people who think that Polanco should be starting in place of Florimon.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    No Polanco again.

I heard Ron Gardenhire on the radio pregame say he didn't intend to start Polanco this weekend, that it wouldn't be fair to the kid
    per Edward Thoma

http://fpbaseballoutsider.blogspot.com/2014/06/if-polanco-is-here-he-should-play.html

That makes no sense to me. If its not fair to play him, he shouldn't be there at all. If its not fair to start him, it's not fair to ask him to pinch hit in late game situations.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

13. These 6 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-28-2014), JB_Iowa (06-28-2014), jokin (06-28-2014), Oldgoat_MN (06-28-2014), Winston Smith (06-28-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's asking too much of Hughes to take on the Rangers by himself.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

15. These 4 users like Oldgoat_MN's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-28-2014), JB_Iowa (06-28-2014), Trautmann13 (06-28-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No Polanco again.

per Edward Thoma

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    That makes no sense to me. If its not fair to play him, he shouldn't be there at all. If its not fair to start him, it's not fair to ask him to pinch hit in late game situations.
    Our guy has been around for so long, it's really getting much too easy to make a call:

Today, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    TODAY 10:56 AM Oh yeah..... it was the logical, and very telling, move (the other logical move was to PH Parm for Fuld, I still don't get that one).

I wonder if it was telling enough to earn Polanco a starting spot today?

It could probably be rationalized that it's not fair to put the kid in against Darvish, but come on.... Florimon looks as totally lost at the plate as Hicks did in April, 2013, probably worse.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-28-2014 at 02:00 PM.

17. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I don't think it's fair to Florimon to set him up to fail, either.

19. These 2 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-28-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts

While I'd like to see the kid play too, he's only on the active roster for a few days, as emergency infield depth and because he was added to the 40-man roster (probably sooner he would have been, if he was a drafted player) last winter. I'm not sure we have enough of the personal details to criticize the team's judgment. I'm sure the Twins would have preferred to keep him in the minors, but not so much as to make a 40-man roster move. If his stay is extended, well, I agree, he should be getting starts or he shouldn't be here.

I'd also arguing that starting in Texas (against Darvish no less) and pinch hitting for Florimon down by four at the top of the seventh aren't equivalent pressures. The situation was hardly close and late, the exposure in that instance was relatively low-pressure (as least in the Twins' opinion, evidently).
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 06-28-2014 at 02:51 PM.

21. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-28-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Chris Fee@CJFee 2m
    Trevor May to the DL with a right calf strain. Retroactive to 6/26.

Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Chris Fee@CJFee 2m
    Trevor May to the DL with a right calf strain. Retroactive to 6/26.

Unbelievable.

That they didn't DL him right away (2 day delay on a calf strain)? That another pitcher gets hurt? Or that if he would have been called up, he wouldn't have gotten hurt?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 330 Times in 161 Posts
    From fan graph:
    by Joe Pawlikowski - February 18, 2011
    So often in our baseball debates we’re searching for the best something: The best hitter of the 80s, the best pitcher of the pre-WWII era, etc. Yet rare is the occasion where we search out the worst player in a particular category or era. Sometimes that player jumps out at us and makes us notice; it’s the only reason that anyone knows Neifi Perez‘s name. But unless it is blatantly obvious the worst player often goes ignored. Until I ran a random Play Index search last week, I had never heard the name Bill Bergen, the man you see to your right. Now that I’ve found him, though, I’m confident that he is the worst hitter in baseball history.
    When citing an example of sporting dominance, I often turn to Wayne Gretzky. He is the only player in NHL history to score 200-plus points in a season, and he did it four times. Bergen provides a similar example, except we can replace the word dominance with ineptitude. He is the only player since 1901 who accumulated 250 or more PA with an OPS+ of 10 or less — and he did it in three consecutive seasons.
    Rk Player HR OPS+ PA Year Age Tm Lg G BA OBP SLG OPS
    1 Bill Bergen 1 1 372 1909 31 BRO NL 112 .139 .163 .156 .319
    2 Bill Bergen 0 -4 250 1911 33 BRO NL 84 .132 .183 .154 .337
    3 Bill Bergen 0 6 273 1910 32 BRO NL 89 .161 .180 .177 .357
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
    Generated 2/18/2011.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

25. These 3 users like Winston Smith's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-28-2014), Circus Boy (06-28-2014), jokin (06-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    The Twins coaches are bound by a confidentiality agreement not to tell him anything out there? Got it.

29. These 4 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-28-2014), JB_Iowa (06-28-2014), jokin (06-28-2014), Sconnie (06-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 257 Times in 125 Posts
    The maddening thing about this team is how close, how so very close, we are to flipping our losses to wins. Every loss the past two weeks turned on the Twins needing just one more hit and our pitching needing to make one less mistake. Latest case in point: When Correia got ahead of Belte 0-2 in the 1st, then couldn't get him to fish for a bender, I said firmly to the radio: "Walk him! Rios is slumping big time." And the next thing I hear is THWACK! "It's a line drive home run for Beltre." And Gardy chose to pitch to him again in the 8th with a man on third and only one out. He's the Rangers only offense and we foolishly prefer to announce our presence with authority.

Meanwhile, we score four in the ninth and lose a game that easily could have gone our way. Oy.

31. This user likes Circus Boy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    The Twins coaches are bound by a confidentiality agreement not to tell him anything out there? Got it.
    You're not seriously blaming the coaches are you? Why must the Twins management/front office be held accountable for every player mistake, injury, and slowed player development?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    You're not seriously blaming the coaches are you? Why must the Twins management/front office be held accountable for every player mistake, injury, and slowed player development?
    Snepp to the rescue!

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post

34. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Circus Boy (06-28-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-28-2014), JB_Iowa (06-28-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast