Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You wanted Trevor May? You can't have Trevor May...(yet)!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries

You wanted Trevor May? You can't have Trevor May...(yet)!

Chris Fee@CJFee 2m
    Trevor May to the DL with a right calf strain. Retroactive to 6/26.

Unbelievable.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When it rains it pours

3. This user likes TKGuy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I guess the futures game will have to wait til next year.

5. These 5 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-28-2014), jokin (06-28-2014), nicksaviking (06-28-2014), notoriousgod71 (06-29-2014), Willihammer (06-30-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    He'll be eligible to come off the DL by the Future's Game. It's not as if his arm fell off, hopefully it's a short term thing.

7. These 2 users like PseudoSABR's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-28-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (06-29-2014)

what did we do to deserve all these punishments? We didn't hurt anyone!

9. This user likes Trautmann13's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-28-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 816 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a calf strain, not the end of the world. He'll be pitching again shortly.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    It's a calf strain, not the end of the world. He'll be pitching again shortly.
    Pretty sure I heard this when Buxton got hurt.......in March.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    <pounds head against the wall repeatedly and moans>

"Why? Why in the name of Babe Ruth, why?"

This is beats me to a thread I wanted to start about the timing of May's eventual promotion. Even had a title! Speculation as to another roster shuffle the next week or so, or just stay in Minnesota after the futures game.

<crumples imaginary piece of paper and tosses it in imaginary trash head. Sighs...and rubs aching head>

Yes, at least is SOUNDS like it SHOULD be a minor injury and setback only. Perhaps the after the Futures Game scenario still applies, but I'm guessing not. Even if ready by then, surely he'd only pitch an inning or two before going back to Rochester and stretching out a bit more after the layoff.

First of August maybe?

Seriously, between the parent club and injuries to top and solid prospects throughout the chain, where does it end? We're the nice, friendly organization who thinks they can. What did we do to deserve this? There are two old expressions that apply here: "It's always darkest right before the dawn," and, "It's always darkest right before it turns totally $&@?*#% black". Sooooo hoping for the former to be true.

13. These 3 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (06-28-2014), jokin (06-28-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-30-2014)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Calm down everyone. I talked to a PWDK of the injury, it's very minor (if it's even anything at all). I think the Twins just want to manage his innings and get him lined up to be ready to pitch in the Futures Game (on the 13th). He's eligible to come off (and pitch) on 7/3 and pitch again on 7/8. That puts him on full-rest at Target Field.

There is no concern that Trevor May won't be able to pitch on 7/13. Not even a little bit.

15. These 3 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-29-2014), Steve Lein (06-30-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-30-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Calm down everyone. I talked to a PWDK of the injury, it's very minor

(if it's even anything at all).

I think the Twins just want to manage his innings and get him lined up to be ready to pitch in the Futures Game (on the 13th). He's eligible to come off (and pitch) on 7/3 and pitch again on 7/8. That puts him on full-rest at Target Field.

There is no concern that Trevor May won't be able to pitch on 7/13. Not even a little bit.
    So the Futures Game is more of a concern to the Twins than May pitching in place of Pino on Monday, or next Saturday, or July 10. (At more than one point in time on TD, there was scoffing and scolding on this site when it was suggested that the Twins might withhold May until after the Futures Game).
    Last edited by jokin; 06-28-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    <picking up bucket of KFC AND Popeyes tomorrow just in case>

and if you don't get that.......shame on you! Lol

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Every year guys go on the "phantom" DL. I think it's important to both the Twins and May that he pitches in the Futures Game. Pino or Deduno will make those starts - and Pino deserved the promotion. He's had one ok outing and one not so good outing. Is that all the leash he gets? I'd hope when May gets the call, he's given more than a two-game leash.

May has pitched a lot of innings over the last 12 months and letting him take a 10-day break before gearing up for the Futures Game and a promotion is perfectly fine by me.

Plus, pitching in that game would be a good tune-up for the real bright lights.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 06-28-2014 at 11:34 PM.

19. These 5 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (06-29-2014), DocBauer (06-29-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (06-29-2014), gunnarthor (06-29-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-30-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Every year guys go on the "phantom" DL. I think it's important to both the Twins and May that he pitches in the Futures Game. Pino or Deduno will make those starts - and Pino deserved the promotion. He's had one ok outing and one not so good outing. Is that all the leash he gets? I'd hope when May gets the call, he's given more than a two-game leash.

May has pitched a lot of innings over the last 12 months and letting him take a 10-day break before gearing up for the Futures Game and a promotion is perfectly fine by me.

Plus, pitching in that game would be a good tune-up for the real bright lights.
    As far as the Futures Game goes....The Cardinals didn't see the need for a tune-up for Marco Gonzalez, coming up from AA. The Red Sox didn't see the need for a tune-up for Mookie Betts.

May is now the second oldest player on either team in the Futures Game. He is likely to pitch one inning in that game- I'll need to be educated on the importance of that one inning other than financial considerations. It's hard to grasp any other reason for how the best performing, in 2014, long-term legitimate prospect on the Twins was given short-shrift versus not one, but two, non-prospect journeyman arms, and one, lesser prospect....except that there are obviously "other considerations" involved...

Lest we forget, there were reasons on all three teams- Twins Cards, Red Sox, for the best prospects to come up to meet specific needs, for at least a tryout....the Twins "other considerations", as it turned out, were of such a different nature, that the Cards and Red Sox decided not to consider them.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-29-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    <picking up bucket of KFC AND Popeyes tomorrow just in case>

and if you don't get that.......shame on you! Lol
    Major league?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    As far as the Futures Game goes....The Cardinals didn't see the need for a tune-up for Marco Gonzalez, coming up from AA. The Red Sox didn't see the need for a tune-up for Mookie Betts.

May is now the second oldest player on either team in the Futures Game. He is likely to pitch one inning in that game- I'll need to be educated on the importance of that one inning other than financial considerations. It's hard to grasp any other reason for how the best performing, in 2014, long-term legitimate prospect on the Twins was given short-shrift versus not one, but two, non-prospect journeyman arms, and one, lesser prospect....except that there are obviously "other considerations" involved...

Lest we forget, there were reasons on all three teams- Twins Cards, Red Sox, for the best prospects to come up to meet specific needs, for at least a tryout....the Twins "other considerations", as it turned out, were of such a different nature, that the Cards and Red Sox decided not to consider them.
    Comparing Betts to Trevor May is like what?????????????????? Betts has a top 100 prospect ranking, May no longer does. Betts was among the better hitters, May is only elite in strikeouts, otherwise comes off as work in progress.
    Gonzales, the next few starts need to have a lot better outcome or the Twin Gonzales should be compared to is Hicks, not May. I can understand why St Louis promoted Gonzales. Their next best option to fill the hole in their rotation was to trade for Correia.

An A for originality on this take. Sort of like comparing watermelons and apples.
    Last edited by old nurse; 06-29-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Here's what I know: the calf injury isn't serious.

The rest is just my opinions. I don't understand why "financial considerations" would have anything to do with it. The Twins kept Gibson down way longer than anyone believed he needed and then was terrible. I'm not going to freak out about May because it's not worth it, plus I'd like to see him at Target Field in the Futures Game. And I think he's promoted after. All my opinions though.

24. These 6 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (06-29-2014), diehardtwinsfan (06-29-2014), DJSim22 (06-29-2014), gunnarthor (06-29-2014), PseudoSABR (06-29-2014), SwainZag (06-30-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 816 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, I'm with Jeremy. I think this is a lot of worry over nothing.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Here's what I know: the calf injury isn't serious.

The rest is just my opinions. I don't understand why "financial considerations" would have anything to do with it. The Twins kept Gibson down way longer than anyone believed he needed and then was terrible. I'm not going to freak out about May because it's not worth it, plus I'd like to see him at Target Field in the Futures Game. And I think he's promoted after. All my opinions though.
    I don't detect anyone on here "freaking out". Instead, just "pointing out" that that's not how other teams do it. A big deal was made by Terry Ryan a few weeks ago, in his "why not us?" comment in regards to the Morales signing. Since then, the team has done practically nothing to follow up with that aggressive move- and their moves of late have been down-right head-scratching.

Sure, we'd all like to see him pitch his one inning in the Futures Game. But.....I would have liked to have seen him start his career at home on June 19 against the White Sox for 7 innings. As great as the Pino story was that night, a team that's in it to win it brings up their best chances for doing just that.

We tend to revisit old history on TD and are quick to point out Gibson being terrible in 2013- and not noting that his post-TJ arm strength was likely tapped out by the time he got the call. Of course, this oversimplified bromide also leaves out the basic fact that, that very spell of terrible-ness is instrumental in many, if not most, prospects, in becoming competent and productive major leaguers. Will May be an immediate impact player or struggle as Gibson did? There's but one way to find out, and calling up May in this situation is actually a win-win proposition long-term, for both May and the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    As long as the injury is as minor as it sounds, it's nothing to worry about. May will be up fairly soon but I don't mind Pino getting a couple more starts. He's paid his dues and I think he could play the long guy/spot starter role better than Deduno in the long term anyway.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    As long as the injury is as minor as it sounds, it's nothing to worry about. May will be up fairly soon but I don't mind Pino getting a couple more starts. He's paid his dues and I think he could play the long guy/spot starter role better than Deduno in the long term anyway.
    Both Deduno and Pino are 30+ journeyman with sketchy histories, and with very fringy potential for long-term success. There's a reason that Pino has toiled at AA and AAA over 8 different seasons and 5 different clubs (the Twins twice) without getting a call-up. They both are at times effective and other times erratic...and seem best-suited to offer depth at the end of the bullpen and starting pitcher options for the Twins, as well as pitching at AAA.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast