Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Must Watch: Glen Perkins' Inning of Beauty

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Must Watch: Glen Perkins' Inning of Beauty

Glen Perkins shut down the Texas Rangers on Sunday for his 20th save of the year.

This outing, however, was extremely efficient and very undemocratic as Perkins (with the assistance of catcher Eric Fryer) mowed down the Rangers' hitters Chris Gimenez, Adrian Beltre and Alex Rios on ten pitches.

Since 1979, there has been ten instances where a pitcher has pitched one inning and struck out the side on nine pitches -- the most recently by Colorado's Rex Brothers on June 19 of this year. While the 10-pitch version of this event has happened 40 times in that span it is impressive nonetheless. The last Twin to accomplish this was Joe Nathan on August 8, 2004 against the Oakland A's.

Perkins, who had been using his slider this season (21%) as frequently as the previous two years (31%), spun his breaking ball liberally (six of his ten pitches) to eliminate the Rangers' hitters.

2. These 6 users like Parker Hageman's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-29-2014), glunn (06-29-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-29-2014), JB_Iowa (06-30-2014), jokin (06-30-2014), Kirby_Waved_At_Me (06-30-2014)

No doubt that was the most dominant I have ever seen Perkins. By the 4th pitch everyone including the Rangers knew the only chance they had was a couple bleeders because nobody was going to square that stuff up.

When I was a kid I saw on Saturday game of the week Nolan Ryan strike out the side in the 9th on 9 fastballs with a 1 run lead. That was awesome as was today.

4. This user likes Thor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-29-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,948 Times in 1,139 Posts
    I never tire of watching highlights like this one.

6. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-29-2014)

Liked 726 Times in 386 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see him do that at the All Star game.

8. This user likes glunn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (06-30-2014)

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    There were a couple of swings that looked like they missed by a foot. He made the Rangers look almost as bad as Darvish made the Twins look the day before.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those highlights almost need a NSFW tag. That inning was FILTHY.