Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/29): Strong Starting Pitching and Burdi's Debut

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/29): Strong Starting Pitching and Burdi's Debut

Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Nick Burdi...

Bringing back the memories of Shooter Hunt

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One game, people... worry if this happens his next 2-3 times out.

In college, he walked like 10 in 37 innings. He should be just fine.

Here is the more exciting, bright side: https://twitter.com/SethTweets/statu...60676438491136

Also, be sure to "Like" the Twins Daily facebook page where I posted a bunch of pictures throughout the weekend. Some even turned out well.

https://www.facebook.com/TwinsDaily

Great game in Cedar Rapids, too bad Burdi was wild, he throws so hard... You could see it right away

Seth, was Burdi wild like Ankiel-wild, or just missing? What was his ball-strike ratio, please?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Seth, was Burdi wild like Ankiel-wild, or just missing? What was his ball-strike ratio, please?
    He didn't hit the mascot, if that's what you're asking, so not Nuke LaLoosh wild.

But he wasn't really close on many pitches either. He threw just 5 strikes to the four hitters he walked.

Really not too concerned he's another Ankiel, though. When he finds at least enough control to make hitters swing and umpires give him the benefit of the doubt on corners, he will be a challenge to get around on.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    One game, people... worry if this happens his next 2-3 times out.

In college, he walked like 10 in 37 innings. He should be just fine.

Here is the more exciting, bright side: https://twitter.com/SethTweets/statu...60676438491136

Also, be sure to "Like" the Twins Daily facebook page where I posted a bunch of pictures throughout the weekend. Some even turned out well.

https://www.facebook.com/TwinsDaily
    Were these pitch velocities from the CR park gun, or were you looking at a scouting gun?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'm not worried about Burdi. He's either going to be good, or not. But one outing means nothing at all, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    He didn't hit the mascot, if that's what you're asking, so not Nuke LaLoosh wild.

But he wasn't really close on many pitches either. He threw just 5 strikes to the four hitters he walked.

Really not too concerned he's another Ankiel, though. When he finds at least enough control to make hitters swing and umpires give him the benefit of the doubt on corners, he will be a challenge to get around on.
    While Burdi ultimately has to prove himself, I question the field management of using Burdi in this situaton. A Save-like situation (up 4-0 I believe) for his first professional inning after joining a team in the middle of it's season.

Many managers would give this type of player an inning in a mop-up role sometime before bringing him in in a somewhat pressure situation for his debut.

After 30 years of coaching experience. . . just my thoughts.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can't believe this is a point of speculation. Burdi just last week pitched with the exact same stuff and exhibited command and control while on national television, numerous times, in pressure situations. He didn't just completely fall off the rails and become Alex Wimmers in his first professional appearance just one short week later. Can we let this play out and give the kid and the coaching staff an inkling of a chance- until at least the end of August? Again, he threw his out pitch, his slider, only twice in 21 pitches.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Were these pitch velocities from the CR park gun, or were you looking at a scouting gun?
    it was the stadium gun plus 2 miles per hour.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    it was the stadium gun plus 2 miles per hour.
    For the record, I sat behind the Kernels pitchers charting pitches today (Monday) and we talked some about the difference between the scoreboard and their radar gun readings.

They confirmed Burdi's first pitch was 99 on Sunday and that he was anywhere from 96-98 for the most part after that. So Seth, your "scoreboard +2" numbers were apparently pretty accurate.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

13. This user likes SD Buhr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-30-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I only do that because you guys told me that's the case... but it definitely seems accurate. Either way, he was throwing really hard.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's only one game. I guess Burdi will fit right in.
    Certainly an attitude that the mother team has become one to use. And the relief coming in and giving up 3 inherited runs fits right in too.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    I only do that because you guys told me that's the case... but it definitely seems accurate. Either way, he was throwing really hard.
    Sorry, Seth, I didn't mean to make it sound like you just made up the +2 mph thing. Yes, that's sort of the local unofficial assumption and I use it as well when I report or Tweet pitch speeds from CR.

Interestingly, however, I sat behind a couple of radar guns during Monday afternoon's game and the variances from the scoreboard were all over the place. The most frequent difference between gun and scoreboard was +2 mph, with +1 mph also being frequent. There would be a rare occurance when the readings matched exactly, but there were probably just as many instances where the readings were +3 and even +4 mph. (For some reason, for example, the gap widened to +3 an even a couple of +4s for Todd Van Steensel's fastball.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    While Burdi ultimately has to prove himself, I question the field management of using Burdi in this situaton. A Save-like situation (up 4-0 I believe) for his first professional inning after joining a team in the middle of it's season.

Many managers would give this type of player an inning in a mop-up role sometime before bringing him in in a somewhat pressure situation for his debut.

Many managers (perhaps dictated by higher ups) would have had him pitch an inning or two at the start of the game just because they wanted to make sure he got to pitch. It seems to me the Twins have done this many times, though mostly with rehab assigments. Not that I care much about the decision or the results.

But what's up with E-ton? Even if the weathermen in Tennessee are terrible, couldn't the umps just look up? It started raining four outs later after the first pitch! They must really think highly of their concession food if they were just trying to keep the fans in the gate to make some extra cash.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post

This is a guy who was coming off being the closer for a team in the College World Series, in front of crowds much bigger than what there was in CR and you think putting him in to begin the 8th inning of a game you're leading 4-0 is too much pressure?

Honestly, if you're a manager waiting for a late game situation with a run differential greater than four runs, you may not see him for a couple of weeks. He didn't pitch in either of the first two games with his new club and he was given a pretty mild assignment on Sunday.

This is a guy who was coming off being the closer for a team in the College World Series, in front of crowds much bigger than what there was in CR and you think putting him in to begin the 8th inning of a game you're leading 4-0 is too much pressure?

Honestly, if you're a manager waiting for a late game situation with a run differential greater than four runs, you may not see him for a couple of weeks. He didn't pitch in either of the first two games with his new club and he was given a pretty mild assignment on Sunday.
    Don't want to argue with you. . . just my opinion. . but I've been there with this type of situaton.

Consider Burdi does not know his teammates, he's 21 years old, wanting to impress, has never pitched in pro ball, etc. I understand he closed in the CWS, but every experience is new for these kids.

What you are trying to do, IMO, in this type of situation is build poise and confidence in your first outing. You see this many times, all the way from the American Legion level to the Major League level.

A game when they are trailing is a great time to break in a new pitcher with a new squad. Putting in a new pitcher in this situation (save) can hinder the development in poise and confidence. I'm guessing that he will come back and pitch fine as the Ankiels, Wimmers, Hunts of the world are the exceptions not the rule.

Just saying that my way would have been different. . . not that it is always better, just different.

20. This user likes Lakeside's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-01-2014)

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    We'll agree to disagree. But for the record, a 4-0 game in the 8th is not a save situation, though even if it had been, I wouldn't have considered that an inappropriate use of this player. This is big boy baseball, even if it's minor leagues. He's a professional now.