Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roster Moves coming...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    If they would just DFA Floriman, and add another MI to the 40 man, they'd have the ability to send that player up and down.....I'd think. Right now, they seem paralyzed with fear of losing one of the worst players in MLB (which I find funny, in an odd way). When people say it doesn't matter who is on the 40 man.....this is the kind of thing that makes it matter, roster flexibility. They don't have that enough right now. Too many guys w/o a real future on the 40 man, and too many RP and MI without options available to be sent up and down. I hope that this problem begins to fix itself soon, once they realize they are out of it this year and start dealing/cutting guys in the last year of their deals. (not holding my breath on that.....)
    Lighten up Francis....

2. These 4 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-30-2014), DocBauer (06-30-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-30-2014), jokin (06-30-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe Florimon is gone. Hope Polanco gets sent to New Britian as he deserves this promotion. You handle the rest internally, do not worry about organizational filler.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Polanco clearly showed that he deserves the promotion when he goes back down he should be in NB. Has Rosario been playing 2nd base? If so it would be good to get him and Polanco playing together to develop as a double play combo.

The obvious move to me is to cut a bullpen guy.

[QUOTE=Jeremy Nygaard;249625]I think before the weekend it looked like an easy choice to send Florimon and Polanco down when Nunez and Plouffe were ready to return.

But now that it's Monday and those guys are eligible to return, there still hasn't been any moves announced. It sounds like Polanco and Florimon both took the flight with the team to the Cities.

Cut back from 13 to 12 pitchers but whether they do it or not is a different story. As much as the pitching has struggled it is the offense and the inability to get a clutch hit that has been the struggle. I would cut Guerrier and out right him off the 40 man roster, he is 35 and doesn't really have a role on this present Twins team. He is not a strike out guy and he really isn't a situational or long man reliever either so his role is really diminished on what he can contribute in my opinion. Gardy may like him and trust him based on the past but his present pitching doesn't really add up to anything that can help this Twins team win.

6. These 2 users like jaimedude2's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-30-2014), Kwak (06-30-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco has been promising but proven nothing IMHO. His full body of work is more telling than a handful of major league at-bats.

Didn't Polanco NOT cover 2nd base on a routine play? Doesn't that show he needs to work on the basics of shortstop defense? He needs more instruction and time in the minors. The major league roster is NOT the place for learning basic defense. He may certainly have a future with the major league club, but the future is not now.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure about the order but Florimon needs to go down for performance reasons and Polanco needs to go down for development reasons.

When Plouffe comes off... Whoever stays up until Nunez is back... will be insurance and not starting. So it doesn't matter to me who goes down first. We are talking about a short stay.

CF continues to be a problem area. If Polanco could play there in a pinch... I think today we should send down Mr. Florimon first.

But eventually they should both go down. Polanco in NB makes sense to me.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

10. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-30-2014)

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Big fan of your plan, Jeremy.
    Me too, there are relief pitchers Id like to see gone more, but it's not realistic to think the Twins will DFA anyone. Frankly, the just don't do it. Pino has been a fine stop gap, but hasn't made the case that he's a better alternative to Darnell. Maybe Polanco makes case this week to be the starting short stop... Wouldn't that be a great problem to have?
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rikker49 View Post
    Kris Johnson deserves a start....Florimon needs to be released. Burton might be the odd man out of a 13 man pitching staff
    I was hoping for a little context to the Johnson piece. Are you factoring age or wait into that? Outside of ERA, the k's, FIP, BB, and WHIP favor May.

13. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-30-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'm not sure about the order but Florimon needs to go down for performance reasons and Polanco needs to go down for development reasons.

When Plouffe comes off... Whoever stays up until Nunez is back... will be insurance and not starting. So it doesn't matter to me who goes down first. We are talking about a short stay.

CF continues to be a problem area. If Polanco could play there in a pinch... I think today we should send down Mr. Florimon first.

But eventually they should both go down. Polanco in NB makes sense to me.
    If Polanco is going to sit the bench, then agreed, he needs to play and a promo to AA seems in order.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I was hoping for a little context to the Johnson piece. Are you factoring age or wait into that? Outside of ERA, the k's, FIP, BB, and WHIP favor May.
    May is on the DL

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    Didn't Polanco NOT cover 2nd base on a routine play?
    This might be splitting hairs, but: I believe the issue was that he didn't force the runner back towards first during the rundown. He should have run the runner back towards the bag, but instead made an immediate throw to Dozier - which resulted in the rundown collapsing. In the end, your premise is still valid though. He's a bit rough around the edges and could use a little more practice in the lower levels.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    Didn't Polanco NOT cover 2nd base on a routine play? Doesn't that show he needs to work on the basics of shortstop defense? He needs more instruction and time in the minors. The major league roster is NOT the place for learning basic defense. He may certainly have a future with the major league club, but the future is not now.
    I thought I remember thinking this too...but maybe not? Do you recall which play?

I know in the rundown that caught Adrian Beltre off of 1st...but that was Esocar or the Pitcher not coming in behind him at 2nd. Not a great throw and he needed to run Beltre down a little closer to 1st...but nonetheless, would have been fine if someone had been backing him up at 2nd base.

18. These 2 users like twinsfan34's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-30-2014), Kwak (06-30-2014)

Is there any chance Arcia gets sent to Rochester? He's a complete mess at the plate. I don't know that running him out there night after night is the best thing for him or the organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    May is on the DL
    Since I saw the comment on the first page, I thought it was made before May was announced on the DL. As my grandma used to say, I stand corrected.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 858 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    May is on the DL
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Since I saw the comment on the first page, I thought it was made before May was announced on the DL. As my grandma used to say, I stand corrected.

Only until July 3. They could send Pino down tonight and call him up for Saturday's game

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 858 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    Is there any chance Arcia gets sent to Rochester? He's a complete mess at the plate. I don't know that running him out there night after night is the best thing for him or the organization.
    Replaced by whom?

23. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Replaced by whom?
    Well Florimon of course.

25. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-30-2014), USAFChief (06-30-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Replaced by whom?
    As long as they're calling up young guys, how about Kepler?
    Just kidding.

If Arcia goes to AAA, the "outfielder" coming back up would have to be Herrmann/Colabello or Hicks, who's actually an outfielder, but probably least likely to be called back up now of those three.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    DFA Florimon and put one of the other MI guys on the 40 man.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast