Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14 games

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts

14 games

As we all know, the Twins have been...well...inconsistent as of late. So I believe that the Twins absolutely need to turn things around before the all-star break to go in with some sort of momentum to compete the rest of the way.

The Twinkies have 14 games before the all-star game and none of them are real easy. 3 at home vs an on fire Royals team, 4 at home against the always hated Yankees, 4 at Seattle who is playing good ball and 3 at the Rockies.

I think the Twins need to at the very least go 7-7 over these two weeks, however anything less than 8-6 would be a bit of a disappointment.

Here is how I see things shaking out, what say you?

2 out of 3 vs the Royals.
    3 out of 4 vs the Yankees (we played them well in NY, now let's dominate them in TF)
    2 out of 4 vs the Mariners (vs Felix is a sure loss, hopefully the Twins can win two of the other 3)
    1 out of 3 @ the Rockies- I think this staff could be a disaster at Coors Field vs the Rockies lineup.

Prediction: 8-6. Hopefully they go 9-5 and get back within 5 or so games of the division.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

2. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-30-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins will have to do at least that well to compete for at least a wild card spot. Anything under .500 you call start the fire sale and bring up the kids for experience for next year.

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Well, I'm flying out to Denver to check out that series against Colorado. I'm going to be there for the Friday and Saturday games. I'm hoping that the Twins will pull out at least two wins there.

I'll give you the 8 -6 record, with the Twins only taking 1 of 4 from Seattle.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

5. This user likes James's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think at least nine wins are necessary to be viable after the break. I can't see it happening.

7. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (06-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    As we all know, the Twins have been...well...inconsistent as of late. So I believe that the Twins absolutely need to turn things around before the all-star break to go in with some sort of momentum to compete the rest of the way.

The Twinkies have 14 games before the all-star game and none of them are real easy. 3 at home vs an on fire Royals team, 4 at home against the always hated Yankees, 4 at Seattle who is playing good ball and 3 at the Rockies.

I think the Twins need to at the very least go 7-7 over these two weeks, however anything less than 8-6 would be a bit of a disappointment.

Here is how I see things shaking out, what say you?

2 out of 3 vs the Royals.
    3 out of 4 vs the Yankees (we played them well in NY, now let's dominate them in TF)
    2 out of 4 vs the Mariners (vs Felix is a sure loss, hopefully the Twins can win two of the other 3)
    1 out of 3 @ the Rockies- I think this staff could be a disaster at Coors Field vs the Rockies lineup.

Prediction: 8-6. Hopefully they go 9-5 and get back within 5 or so games of the division.

I think I agree with most of your predictions except for the NYY series, where I think 2 out of 4 is probably better because in a 4 game set we are likely to get Tanaka, so that is a loss just like Felix is for Seattle.

Prediction: 7-7

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Kansas City has owned us but the other games are winnable (except the Felix game -- yes he lines up against us). We can hang around .500 if someone above the age of 21 will ever step up and start to hit again.

10. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    I am feeling pessimistic. I am thinking 5-9. They take two games against NY and 1 game each for the rest of the series. Hoping for 6-8 with them taking two against the M's as well. As always I hope I am wrong. With some luck I could see them get to 8-6 tops. Right now something isn't right they seem to have lost their collective Mojo so I stand by my 5-9 prediction.

Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10 - 4 gets us back to .500.

I am hoping to go 9-5 or at worst 8-6 July is going to be our easiest month schedule wise. After the allstar break it gets even easier. Cleveland, Kansas city, Tampa Bay. We should be able to end July 3-5 games over .500. (I am probably being optimistic. But if we are to contend this year for at least a wild card we will need to be near that as the schedule will probably get harder down the stretch).

I just love this crowd. If I asked a random sampling of my friends, they would probably predict between 1-5 wins in that stretch. I say 8-6. I think we take two from each of 'em!

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they're 5-9 before the All-Star break...I'd expect we'd be 12 games or so out of 1st...and then the FO would likely be very open to trades. Especially since Morales & Willingham can leave the following year without us getting anything in return.

15. These 2 users like twinsfan34's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Physics Guy (06-30-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No way they go better than 500. After this latest stretch.... you all are out of your minds. I say they go 5 and 9 and hopefully trade a bunch of pieces. The only room for optimism I'd plouffe coming back and unless he goes on ahr binge it won't make much of a difference. This is not a play off team. Better than last year, but still a below 500 team.

17. This user likes Badsmerf's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 659 Times in 371 Posts
    5-9 and I feel like I might be generous.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They need to come up with a 51-31 finish to have a reasonable expectation of the playoffs.

To get there they will need to go 9-5 in the next 14 and follow it up with another 9-5 in the next 14 and follow that up with three more 9-5s. Mix five of those with a 6-6 in 12 games and they have a reasonable shot at the play in game.

The very best teams in the second half will perform at that level. Is it reasonable to expect the Twins will be among the very best teams in the second half?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    I bet the the pitching will continue to impress, it's really a question of where the runs will come from.
    If Plouffe's return can help the team score some runs, it's not out of the question that the next 14 games will help the team forget the last road trip.
    The Twins should win at least 5 games, I'm optimistic for 7 or 8.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Is it reasonable to expect the Twins will be among the very best teams in the second half?
    No.

22. These 2 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-30-2014), jorgenswest (06-30-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I agree that if I was the GM, if they did not win 9 games in this stretch, I'be dealing away veterans for sure......I won't predict what will happen, but I'll just point out that I don't see them making the playoffs with this roster.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I agree that if I was the GM, if they did not win 9 games in this stretch, I'be dealing away veterans for sure......I won't predict what will happen, but I'll just point out that I don't see them making the playoffs with this roster.
    Flip side: if they do win 9 games (and continue to play well after the break) do you look at bringing in another low cost (trade piece wise) bat? Possibly a corner OF or CF bat would be great?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    spirit.....not sure. If they get their guys back, and it doesn't seem "fluky" to me in winning 9, I'd add a bat, yes. But, I'd really need a good vibe. Right now, I'm not a believer, just winning those games would not be enough, I'd need to feel like it was real.

Priority positions:
    CF
    LF
    RF

I think they are covered, for what they would be willing to do realisitcally, if you are willing to go Plouffe/Esco/Santana/Nunez as your 3B, SS, backup SS/CF/LF combo.

I could not name my targets right now, haven't given that any thought.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    They need to come up with a 51-31 finish to have a reasonable expectation of the playoffs.

To get there they will need to go 9-5 in the next 14 and follow it up with another 9-5 in the next 14 and follow that up with three more 9-5s. Mix five of those with a 6-6 in 12 games and they have a reasonable shot at the play in game.

The very best teams in the second half will perform at that level. Is it reasonable to expect the Twins will be among the very best teams in the second half?
    Couple things: I think 51-33 puts them into the playoffs and probably wins them the division. If they go 49-35 they end up with 86 wins, which still maybe puts them in the playoffs. 47-37 puts them at 84 wins which means they were probably "in it" til the end. I think when you look at it like that: It certainly is possible for them to play ten games above .500 from here on out but they need a few things to happen:

1. Hughes/Gibson/Correia need to stay effective like they are now.
    2. Nolasco needs to get it together ASAP, reasonable to think this could happen.
    3. May needs to come up and at least pitch like an effective #4, I think its reasonable to expect this, of course he could bomb, or he could come on like gangbusters and pitch like a #2.

They also need a CF and/or Arcia to step up. If that doesn't happen you gotta look at bringing in another bat around the trade deadline if you are still "in it"

27. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    spirit.....not sure. If they get their guys back, and it doesn't seem "fluky" to me in winning 9, I'd add a bat, yes. But, I'd really need a good vibe. Right now, I'm not a believer, just winning those games would not be enough, I'd need to feel like it was real.

Priority positions:
    CF
    LF
    RF

I think they are covered, for what they would be willing to do realisitcally, if you are willing to go Plouffe/Esco/Santana/Nunez as your 3B, SS, backup SS/CF/LF combo.

I could not name my targets right now, haven't given that any thought.
    I think Willingham (as bad as he is defensively at times) is just fine for one of those OF spots, especially since his bat is really really solid. Arcia...man...I wish he would just step up and be more consitent, if he could do that then suddenly all you are looking for is a CF and maybe a part time corner OF to give you better defense and Arcia a rest when he is struggling.

CF...I don't know who you target. However I would really really like to look to bring Ichiro in to handle the corner OF spot if Arcia can't hack it for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast