Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parmelee vs mauer

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries

parmelee vs mauer

Who ends with better offensive numbers? Currently parmelee has a .736 ops to mauer's .692. Should we throw morneau in the mix too? He has an ops of .866 in case anyone was wondering.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Parmelee probably won't get the opportunity to play everyday this year, so my guess is that his numbers will not fall too much over the course of the season.
    Mauer's rate stats might be lower, but his counting stats will definitely be better, barring another injury.

And Morneau, that's good to see, though it stinks that he's doing it in Colorado instead of here.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 88 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Parmelee probably won't get the opportunity to play everyday this year, so my guess is that his numbers will not fall too much over the course of the season.
    Mauer's rate stats might be lower, but his counting stats will definitely be better, barring another injury.

And Morneau, that's good to see, though it stinks that he's doing it in Colorado instead of here.
    Lets not forget that last part, he's doing it in Colorado. I'm happy for Justin though, good to see him doing well out there.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Parms has been a nice surprise since being removed from the 40-man and reestablishing himself in AAA, but then again Chris Colabello was hitting real well for a minute there, too.

We could trade Mauer to open up 1b for Parmey, but it would be selling (very) low.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
    Lets not forget that last part, he's doing it in Colorado. I'm happy for Justin though, good to see him doing well out there.
    Morneau does have a .823 road OPS this year, and a 125 OPS+. That's actually pretty darn close to his pre-concussion career 128 OPS+, and notably better than his 2011-2013 figure of 100 OPS+.

His BB rate is way down, but he also has a career low K rate which can be pretty darn valuable (I call it the Kurt Suzuki special).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Let's all just be thrilled that after it SHOULD have happened last year, the man is finally getting some regular ABs and proving he isn't a throwaway.

If common sense isn't enough to make you oppose a Willingham extension/re-signing....than consider Parmelee as a good reason. He's been our best hitter for a month now and still is a pretty underrated fielder. The man needs daily ABs the rest of the year and all of next year I'd argue. So let's hope it continues.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Who ends with better offensive numbers? Currently parmelee has a .736 ops to mauer's .692. Should we throw morneau in the mix too? He has an ops of .866 in case anyone was wondering.
    I will play the optimist/pessimist and predict that Parmelee will get regular playing time for the rest of the season by necessity. Because of the need, he'll be allowed to play through a slump and end the season with higher OPS and RBI than Mauer. I am optimistic that Parmelee will take advantage of his current situation and become the Cuddy type player on the field sans magic tricks, but every day RF and part time 1b
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

I think over 500 Plate appearances, Mauer would overtake Parmelee on rate stats, his OBP is so good historically.
    Assuming he gets playing time Parmelee should have more homers over 500 PA than Mauer, sure, probably more RBI by virtue of where he'll be hitting in the order, but Mauer is going to outperform him over the course of a full season. Even a diminished skill version of Mauer is a pretty good major league hitter.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Even a diminished skill version of Mauer is a pretty good major league hitter.
    As a first baseman, the Mauer we've seen so far this year is barely above replacement level.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Let's all just be thrilled that after it SHOULD have happened last year, the man is finally getting some regular ABs and proving he isn't a throwaway.

If common sense isn't enough to make you oppose a Willingham extension/re-signing....than consider Parmelee as a good reason. He's been our best hitter for a month now and still is a pretty underrated fielder. The man needs daily ABs the rest of the year and all of next year I'd argue. So let's hope it continues.
    Why not sign him to an extension?

The notion that everyday AB's is the cause of Parmelee's hot streak is preposterous. He got more AB's in May (when he OPSed .556), and more last September (when he OPSed .663) than he got this June.

I don't know if he made an adjustment or is getting lucky (he has only 1 HR over the past month). What almost certainly isn't the cuase of the hot streak though, is more AB's.

It would be really neat if Parmelee batted right handed and mashed lefties. Then he'd be a fantastic platoon partner for Mauer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The past week, Parmelee has 19 PA, with 9 hits and 8 K's (and no walks). For the season, he's got career worst BB and K rates. I think Arcia and Parmelee have shown us before how volatile this combination is, I don't think it's worth reading much into small samples of success (Parm as a 2015 Willingham replacement? Really?). They've got to change those peripherals or have some more sustained success over the remainder of 2014 before I even think about penciling them into a job next year. (Note that I am in full favor of giving them lots of ABs this year to find out, especially as we are falling out of the race.)

Parmelee had a great two week stretch last June/July too, certainly more sustainable and arguably better than this one:

June 22-July 6, 2013: 47 PA, .325/.426/.675, 7/7 K/BB
    June 14-June 30, 2014: 34 PA, .500/.529/.688, 9/2 K/BB

At the end of that streak last year, Parm was OPSing .729 for the season in 250 PA (480 PA season pace), starting over 4 of every 6 team games for over half a season. One bad week with a ~50% K rate wiped out 2/3 of his hot streak OPS gains and sent him to AAA. Now he's back, with slump and a streak and he's at .736 OPS in 106 PA in 2014.

Point is, he's a streaky hitter, and he isn't doing anything he hasn't done before.
    Last edited by spycake; 07-01-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    To me there is way too much enthusiasm in this thread over Parmelee or any of these types which the roster abounds with that are mere journeymen. And also way too many of those types holding down regular spots that will ensure yet another 90+ loss season. Yet there seems to be no move toward making a decision to either cashier this season or admit the franchise is rebuilding. I simply do not understand this attitude by either ownership or the managing of the team on the field, does anyone else?

14. This user likes oldguy10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (07-01-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Seriously??? The only true evaluation of a player's performance for the season is to look at his stats at the end of September... Parmelee has a good 10 days and everyone is putting him on this pedestal... And comparing him to Mauer... Back in April, people were projecting Colabello as a 100+ RBI guy this year... Things change quickly... Players go through ups and downs... I think by the end of the season, Mauer will be somewhere around .300 and Parmelee will be somewhere south of .250... There is really no comparing the two players...
    Last edited by gmarais66; 07-01-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fact:
    1.) Parmalee is a bench player
    2.) Parmalee cannot hit a major league fastball
    3.) If Parmalee is getting regular AB's, the Twins' season must be a major disappointment, as players we have been hoping would be part of our future(Arcia, Hicks,etc) have not been producing.

Liked 1,282 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curt1965 View Post
    Opinion:
    1.) parmalee is a bench player
    2.) parmalee cannot hit a major league fastball
    3.) if parmalee is getting regular ab's, the twins' season must be a major disappointment, as players we have been hoping would be part of our future(arcia, hicks,etc) have not been producing.
    ftfy

18. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (07-01-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Mauer over or under on 60 RBI?

I say under.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    ftfy
    You're correct, JB-my opinion-my bad....

21. This user likes curt1965's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-01-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I like Parms.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
    Well... He has OPS+ 150 at Coors and 135 on the road. Interestingly enough his road BABIP (.319) is slightly higher than his home (.310) and the HRs are close (8 to 5 home).
    What Morneau is doing is not Coors' induced.

Give Mauer some time.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

24. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (07-01-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (07-01-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast