Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: book thread

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts

book thread

There are some fantasy fans on this board. I started this thread to offer thoughts on some book series.

The Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch is highly recommended. It tells the story of two thieves. Book one is one of my favorite books. Book two is good. Book three is between the others in terms of quality.

Fun fantasy makes me think of Steven Brust's Jhereg series. Another series about a thief. It is fun, and not serious.

Guy Kay Gavriel is the best fantasy writer. His books are more serious. He is the guy the Tolkien estate trusted to write the Silmarillion.

That is a short start.

Oh, and Neil Gaiman.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Obviously I read Game of Thrones. Just finished Joyland by Stephen King which was really good and am reading something by David Wong called "This book is full of spiders". It's a classic.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    I appreciate the idea of this thread mike. I love fantasy but I often read professionally and miss the trends until much later - so thanks!

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just read my first Stephen King book, Misery, which I enjoyed. Now I'm debating between The Dark Half (another King book) and Pure Drivel by Steve Martin (I can't read two books at once).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Just read my first Stephen King book, Misery, which I enjoyed. Now I'm debating between The Dark Half (another King book) and Pure Drivel by Steve Martin (I can't read two books at once).
    Not sure I'd start with the Dark Half, it was sort of a Bachman book. Good but not really his top shelf stuff. His best stuff is It, Salem's Lot, Shining, The Stand. Eyes of the Dragon is a really fun fantasy story with a great bad guy. And Cycle of the Werewolf is a really short easy read.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    Any mention of Stephen King requires mention of The Dark Tower series. It has some down moments in terms of quality, but it's a really interesting and fun read.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I'll put aside my Thomas Covenant fetish and just bring up the old-schoolers Fritz Leiber and L. Sprague de Camp.

And Bob Asprin is a trip if you're not familiar. Followed him since the Thieves' World days.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Loved the first Covenant series, meh on the second, have not read the last ones yet. And loved Thieves World also, keep meaning to re-read that.
    Lighten up Francis....