Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Rod Carew Interview: Part 2 (Working with Young Players)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Rod Carew Interview: Part 2 (Working with Kids)

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    I hate the powder blue uniforms, but I still love those batting helmets. I had one of the fake ones back in the day - those cheap helmets were always breaking, but that particular one took a beating and lasted a couple of years. I think it was held together by the #29 taped on the back (or possibly by the Charlie's Angels stickers on the inside.)

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article. Thanks, Seth.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I love the powder blue uniforms!!

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    The first year they were gone was 1987 - I always thought the new uniforms were worth at least 5 wins. They were horrendous on the road that year, though, so maybe the powder blues weren't the issue. I just had always associated them with losing and ditching them with winning. Also, powder blue always looked much better on the Royals.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Interesting article, Seth. Thanks. (And I believe powder blue is for babies not grown men).

I was curious about his comment about "playing with instincts" and relying on coaches. How much, if any, of this goes back to kids getting a lot of coaching even in little league, high school, etc.?

When Carew was growing up, did they learn more "on their own" just by dealing with situations without anyone telling them what to do? Did it give them more of a chance to develop their baseball instincts? Did they learn something just by playing ball for fun rather than in structured situations?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

I was curious about his comment about "playing with instincts" and relying on coaches. How much, if any, of this goes back to kids getting a lot of coaching even in little league, high school, etc.?

When Carew was growing up, did they learn more "on their own" just by dealing with situations without anyone telling them what to do? Did it give them more of a chance to develop their baseball instincts? Did they learn something just by playing ball for fun rather than in structured situations?
    I think Carew might not be recognizing the fact that he acquired a high level of confidence as a baserunner early in his career that those he is referring to may not have acquired yet. It's hard to believe runners are taught different today, namely, if the play is in front of you, you decide. If there is any doubt, listen to the coach.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Interesting article, Seth. Thanks. (And I believe powder blue is for babies not grown men).

It's an interesting question, for sure. I think you make a good point. I think I was more of an instinctual player (way back when) in part because we (8-12 neighbor kids) played all day all summer, whether it was baseball or wiffle ball. There wasn't coaching, and you just played. Had to develop the instincts.

Structured ball is also a good thing though too because there should be some formal instruction. But even so, through playing a ton, those instincts should come (whether formal or informal).