Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: UZR vs Positioning

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts

UZR vs Positioning

How does UZR take into account superior defensive positioning?

Ibanez's catch of Escobar's potential double, in the 6th inning, made me think about this. Dick was saying what a good catch it was for a 42yo. And it was certainly out of his "zone," but the catch was 100% due to good positioning. So does Ibanez get credit for a "out of zone" catch or does UZR account for this?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    From what I remember, UZR uses a very, very simplistic method of accounting for shifts. If the defense is deemed to be in a shift, the play is ignored (or something like that). When deemed not to be in a shift, defenders assumed to be in standard/typical defensive zone.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    How does UZR take into account superior defensive positioning?

Ibanez's catch of Escobar's potential double, in the 6th inning, made me think about this. Dick was saying what a good catch it was for a 42yo. And it was certainly out of his "zone," but the catch was 100% due to good positioning. So does Ibanez get credit for a "out of zone" catch or does UZR account for this?
    He gets credit for a catch made in a zone that doesn't see a lot of catches and because many balls are simple routine catches and the weighting involved on those that are not. His UZR will become untrustworthy like almost everybody else's.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".