@jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins sign Ynoa for $800k

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Here is some video, although you can't see the ball to the plate. Looks like a nice sign with upside. He looks big for a 16 year old, 94 mph heater. 90-91 cutter, splitter, and a good change. 17th rated among international free agents.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/min/...&vkey=news_min

BA has him as the 14th rated guy. flashes of brilliance and at times puzzling inconsistencies. Potential frontline starter. You take that in a 16 year old for $800K

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...-huascar-ynoa/
    Last edited by tobi0040; 07-02-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Glad the Twins are still going after solid pitching talent. I guess I had resigned myself to them not being able to pull this off. I am surprised they got this done considering the money other teams have. Nice to know they will get one of the top 20 guys. Well done FO.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    This is great news. He's not a top 10 international player but he's arguably the best pitcher. When the Twins said they were unlikely to sign anyone for over $1 million, I thought any top 30 kind of guys would be off the table since the Yankees proclaimed to want to blow the bank signing guys this year. I thought many teams would follow suit, I still do, but unless Ynoa's leaving money on the table, teams may not be going as crazy as advertised.

Edit: Upon further review of contracts, guys ranked below Ynoa are getting $1 million contracts so perhaps he did leave money on the table. Either that or Ynoa doesn't have the stature with front offices as he does with the prognosticators.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 07-02-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find it normal for a 16 year old fire-balling pitcher to be inconsistent. We all were somewhat inconsistent with many phases of our lives when we are only 16 years old. But how many 16 year olds can throw a baseball at 94 mph? Plus he has a 6'7" older brother. Great signing by the Twins. Huge upside at a reasonable expense. I salute the FO.
    Last edited by tarheeltwinsfan; 07-02-2014 at 09:05 AM.

6. This user likes tarheeltwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (07-02-2014)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Upon further review of contracts, guys ranked below Ynoa are getting $1 million contracts so perhaps he did leave money on the table. Either that or Ynoa doesn't have the stature with front offices as he does with the prognosticators.
    It could be a lot of things. Maybe he reached this agreement with the Twins when the ball started rolling downhill and thought he was going to miss out on much more.

This was exactly the reason I thought he'd keep working to try and get a better deal. But when you start hearing that teams are spending tons of their money, you need to find a match with a team who's willing to give it.

Hopefully JO can take him under his wing...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I remain skeptical of the approach of having a lot of money, and buying quantity over quality, I guess we will know more in a few years. I have not paid attention to the international stuff this year at all, under the premise they would be praying on the top ranked guys again. Good luck to them and their new players. I hope it works.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    There was a rumor a few days ago that 800,000 was his asking price after the bad outings. Some scouts felt that a team had already agree to it. So I'm guessing his trainer told the teams what they wanted, and the Twins agree to it first. Right now He's got a ceiling of a number 1 starter, 100 million dollar pitcher and a floor of a guy who never get's out of rookie ball. In a couple years, who knows what that range will be.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Question for anyone able to answer. Why can't he join the DSL Twins right now? Would that mess with his minor league service time?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just about every intl FA has a floor of never making it out of rookie ball. That's the problem with projecting those guys. I like the signing. I'm all for high ceiling guys, and I don't care if they pay 2M or 20K to get it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    "His ceiling is that of someone who could potentially be a top-of-the-rotation starter but saddling anyone at 16 with that label is irresponsible." That kind of sentence makes me chuckle. Thanks for being responsible and not labeling him a top-of-the rotation-starter by using the qualifiers "potentially and ceiling". Not singling you out Jeremy. Prospect writers want to extol the talent but then caution since only 1 in 20 (pure guess) such prospects even get to the majors. I just laugh at the double speak sometimes.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Big risk but for that price it's hard not to find the signing appealing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    '16 years old' and 'consistent'...in the same sentence? Not likely.

Wonderful 'lotto pick' if you will. Looking forward to a few more $500K+ signings and many of the $50K fliers.

I was 5'10'' 135 lbs as a 16 year old. I was 6'1'' 180 as a 17 year old. Lots can change at that age.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    '16 years old' and 'consistent'...in the same sentence? Not likely.

Wonderful 'lotto pick' if you will. Looking forward to a few more $500K+ signings and many of the $50K fliers.

I was 5'10'' 135 lbs as a 16 year old. I was 6'1'' 180 as a 17 year old. Lots can change at that age.
    It is rare to even see an 18 year old high school prospect that is consistent. Most of the time they only have a feel for 1-2 pitches, rarely a change up. Mechanics are not always repeatable, etc. If they are 18 and have 3 plus pitches they are a top 3 draft pick and get paid $4-7M. Extreme example alert....Brady Aiken was rated in the 20-30 range a year before going #1 overall (17 years old at the time). I am guessing he had some incosistency or questions about a pitch or two.

This kid is 16 and has good size. 94 mph sounds good, 91 mph cutter sounds good. He will likely add velocity. They think he can have a change that is an out pitch. I really like this move.

To many of the points made, maybe he does not make it out of A ball, but you add a guy like this every year and you will likely be rewarded at some point. Heck, Homer Bailey's numbers look like a #2 or #3 starter and he received $100M. You can sign 125 guys like this for $100M. My guess is that is a better long term investment.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 07-02-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    I like it - he's the kind of profile I like them to take a risk on.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I remain skeptical of the approach of having a lot of money, and buying quantity over quality, I guess we will know more in a few years.
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but in the international market, quality is pretty fungible--the distance for these guys from the major is immense, and rarely do prospects like Sano emerge as such obvious quality investments. Given the higher risk, it does make more sense to spread out that risk over many players rather than a few.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Right, I'd say I'm skeptical, but not convinced they are wrong. I'm curious how random the outcomes are, though. I don't know if we have enough data yet to know, given the likelihood that international rankings probably haven't been widely available for a super long time.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Question for anyone able to answer. Why can't he join the DSL Twins right now? Would that mess with his minor league service time?
    These are all "Future contracts" meaning they are signed for the 2015 season, even though the Rule 5 clock starts immediately.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    "His ceiling is that of someone who could potentially be a top-of-the-rotation starter but saddling anyone at 16 with that label is irresponsible." That kind of sentence makes me chuckle. Thanks for being responsible and not labeling him a top-of-the rotation-starter by using the qualifiers "potentially and ceiling". Not singling you out Jeremy. Prospect writers want to extol the talent but then caution since only 1 in 20 (pure guess) such prospects even get to the majors. I just laugh at the double speak sometimes.
    I'm picking up what you're putting down. People want to talk ceilings of college guys, fine. There isn't a lot of development yet in a 23 year old. High schoolers at 18 or 19 are hard.

Now take a kid that just turned 16. Really all you have is a fastball speed, some other pitches they might know and a dream.

21. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a great signing. It's cheap and I laugh at "inconsistency" complaints about a 16-year-old kid! Drawing the "ire of scouts" . . . .hahahahahaha! What? At that age I was consistent about absolutely nothing except for not getting girls.

23. These 3 users like Shane Wahl's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-02-2014), nicksaviking (07-02-2014), Seth Stohs (07-02-2014)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast