Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Could Kennys Vargas Be the Next Callup?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Could Kennys Vargas Be the Next Callup?

Phil Miller speculates that Mauer will be put on the DL today and wonders who will take his place. He said it could be an outfielder, mentioning an injured Max Kepler, Chris Colabello, who's been better of late, a hobbled Chris Herrmann and Aaron Hicks (batting .190 at NB). He then wonders if slugger Kennys Vargas could be brought up for a trial, on the heels of the Polanco recall.

I'd give it a shot and if he does well, we'd be able to trade Kendrys at the trade deadline.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Phil Miller speculates that Mauer will be put on the DL today and wonders who will take his place. He said it could be an outfielder, mentioning an injured Max Kepler, Chris Colabello, who's been better of late, a hobbled Chris Herrmann and Aaron Hicks (batting .190 at NB). He then wonders if slugger Kennys Vargas could be brought up for a trial, on the heels of the Polanco recall.

I'd give it a shot and if he does well, we'd be able to trade Kendrys at the trade deadline.
    When I was watching the game last night and they announced what Mauer's injury was, I knew right away he was going on the disabled list. My first thought to replace him was Vargas. Morales and Vargas can share 1B/DH. Why not? Colabello is a good story, but he's not a part of the Twins' future. Vargas definitely has the potential to be a big part of the future. With his numbers this year, he's definitely earned it.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vargas has hit a rough patch in NB. Also, he is in the Futures Game. I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if it happened. I noted Nolan Reimold as a possibility for the Twins, with Parmelee becoming the primary first baseman for the duration of the Mauer injury. I think that makes the most sense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Vargas has hit a rough patch in NB. Also, he is in the Futures Game. I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if it happened. I noted Nolan Reimold as a possibility for the Twins, with Parmelee becoming the primary first baseman for the duration of the Mauer injury. I think that makes the most sense.
    I thought Parmelee was the new centerfielder.

5. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (07-02-2014)

If I'm going off the 40-man (likely designating Florimon), I wouldn't go with Reimold, he's having a terrible year - there's a reason the Orioles DFA'd him. I would consider bringing up Wilkin Ramierez, at least he has CF experience. I would also consider Daniel Ortiz, although he looks a little overmatched so far at AAA.

7. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (07-02-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    If I'm going off the 40-man (likely designating Florimon), I wouldn't go with Reimold, he's having a terrible year - there's a reason the Orioles DFA'd him. I would consider bringing up Wilkin Ramierez, at least he has CF experience. I would also consider Daniel Ortiz, although he looks a little overmatched so far at AAA.
    Reimold hasn't played in the majors this year. How can he be having a terrible year? He's had a bad run of injuries and he will probably never be a great player, but he isn't a career minor leaguer like Ramirez. IMHO, Fuld and Santana are the Twins' center fielders the rest of the year. That isn't good, by any means, but stopgaps like Parmelee or Ramirez (who both aren't really CFs) does nothing to solve the problem. My best hope for something out of center field for the remainder of the year is Rosario and he's also struggled recently at NB, although he homered last night.

Reimold hasn't played in the majors this year. How can he be having a terrible year? He's had a bad run of injuries and he will probably never be a great player, but he isn't a career minor leaguer like Ramirez. IMHO, Fuld and Santana are the Twins' center fielders the rest of the year. That isn't good, by any means, but stopgaps like Parmelee or Ramirez (who both aren't really CFs) does nothing to solve the problem. My best hope for something out of center field for the remainder of the year is Rosario and he's also struggled recently at NB, although he homered last night.
    Sorry, I was looking at last year's stats. I'd have no problem adding Rosario. He certainly couldn't hit worse than Hicks, could play CF and could spell Dozier at 2B as well. I like that idea. Then when Santana is ready to come back, you start him at SS.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing Parm slides over there and they call up whatever guy fits their greatest need. Knowing Gardy, it will be a relief pitcher.

Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 07-02-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yeaa. More Chris Colabello. Sorry, I can't get excited for more Cola. It is bad enough to watch him hit, but Gardy seems to find a way to put him in the outfield and that really hurts the eyes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    Yeah I guess Chris makes sense. He was hot early in the year and this is likely his make or break season for the Twins as the young guys are coming.

I am a huge CC fan but am starting to fall in line with the play the young guys crowd. If we don't get them experience this year then we have to wait for them to develop next year. I would like to see this team grow with younger players leading the way as soon as possible.

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    I sure hope the Twins aren't making trade decisions/determinations on whether a decent prospect has a good 3 weeks in the majors...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Perhaps Cola getting his shot back in the majors will at least earn Vargas a promotion to Rochester

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Vargas would only come up in a similar emergency situation as Polanco did; if he keeps hitting, we might see him in September. Vargas lack of position flexible certainly hurts his ability to be a early call up, as he has literally no defensive value.