Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Official: Joe Mauer to DL, Colabello back to Twins

  1. #21
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,723
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Right, I think I tried to say that.....there just are no good options, and it is lacking in excitement. Not "they should have done this instead", more "sigh, this is the best option still, no progress on anyone being ready for the MLB roster, 3.5 years into being awful".......*

    Like I said, an emotional response to a perfectly logical move.

    *and I also acknowledged that it was not good luck that Sano, buxton, Rosario had their issues.....
    Lighten up Francis....

  2. #22
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,868
    Like
    185
    Liked 673 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Right, I think I tried to say that.....there just are no good options, and it is lacking in excitement. Not "they should have done this instead", more "sigh, this is the best option still, no progress on anyone being ready for the MLB roster, 3.5 years into being awful".......*

    Like I said, an emotional response to a perfectly logical move.

    *and I also acknowledged that it was not good luck that Sano, buxton, Rosario had their issues.....
    I think most people can sympathize with that, it's part of why we can't bristle so easy at disappointment. Sometimes the team can do things right and still leave us feeling exasperated about the progress of the organization.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,689
    Like
    3
    Liked 338 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Context is important... as a Twins fan, when something like this happens, they appear to be unlucky if you don't also follow all the other teams.
    Also, we seem to take good luck for granted a bit. Hughes is still outperforming his career starter ERA+ by 22 points. Gibson's been good. The luck is definitely a bit thinner on the offensive side of the equation, but some of that screams front office misjudgment more than bad luck (Florimon, Hicks, Kubel), and there is still Suzuki, Santana, and Escobar all out-performing reasonable projections thus far.

    We still probably lean to the unlucky side of the fence, though, particularly with the Buxton/Sano injuries, and definitely if you think Mauer's current struggles stem from his concussion. (Add Morneau's concussion and we seem even more unlucky from a historical perspective, although by the same token we led a pretty charmed life from 2001-2010.)

  4. These 3 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Boom Boom (07-02-2014), diehardtwinsfan (07-03-2014), James (07-02-2014)

  5. #24
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,054
    Like
    1,665
    Liked 494 Times in 288 Posts
    How did Mauer hurt his oblique?

  6. #25
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,789
    Like
    669
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    They're carrying 13 pitchers so they had to do something. Personally I would have released Guerrier on the off chance Mauer is good to go in 5-7 days.

  7. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (07-02-2014)

  8. #26
    Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Posts
    283
    Like
    54
    Liked 393 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    How did Mauer hurt his oblique?
    He said that it had been a little sore (but was actually feeling better) and he just took it the usual aches and pain - but the cross over from ache to injury came from the swing of the bat when he hit the double.

    They are probably completely unrelated in this case, but I always wonder how much over-compensation when dealing playing with an earlier injury (such as a back) leads to a later injury (such as an oblique).

    I always wondered when he played through that bruised heel in 2010, if over-compensation from that led to the knee problems at the end of the season - which led to the 2011 issues. In both cases, I wonder if a DL stint at the first injury would have helped prevent problems later. Maybe not - just some wondering thoughts at lunch - i suppose I should try to be a productive employee now.

  9. #27
    I agree. This is a logical response. You've got to decide who you want and can keep going forward out of Morales, Willingham, Parmalee and Plouffe. Colabello is part of that equation; you need to find out if he can be a regular or stop gap OF, 1B, or DH. If he can be, a trade of one or more of the other 4 becomes more likely. Morales, Parmalee, Plouffe and Colabello need to play most every day until the trading deadline (you already know what you have in Willingham) so you can decide whether to keep them because they'll be part of the short or long term future (Parmalee or Colabello - nobody will give you much for either one) and/or showcase them for trades (and in Morales' case, find out if you can re-sign him). This team isn't going anywhere this year so use this month to make decisions on veterans and evaluate Arcia, Nunez, Escobar and Santana when he comes back, and use August and September to evaluate Pinto and maybe Polanco and Vargas once you clear out some dead weight. Same thing on the pitching -evaluate Correia and Deduno as starters now and use August and September for evaluating some combination of May, Johnson, Meyer and Darnell (Pino isn't going to make it). They key is to actually make the evaluations and ACT - trade or release the veterans that aren't part of the plan for next year and get up the young guys to see if they can be.

  10. #28
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,054
    Like
    1,665
    Liked 494 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    He said that it had been a little sore (but was actually feeling better) and he just took it the usual aches and pain - but the cross over from ache to injury came from the swing of the bat when he hit the double.

    They are probably completely unrelated in this case, but I always wonder how much over-compensation when dealing playing with an earlier injury (such as a back) leads to a later injury (such as an oblique).

    I always wondered when he played through that bruised heel in 2010, if over-compensation from that led to the knee problems at the end of the season - which led to the 2011 issues. In both cases, I wonder if a DL stint at the first injury would have helped prevent problems later. Maybe not - just some wondering thoughts at lunch - i suppose I should try to be a productive employee now.
    Ok thanks.

    Joe speaks for himself obviously, but I'd bet a majority of players are feeling sore or achy by this point in the season.

  11. #29
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,369
    Like
    1,324
    Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Ok thanks.

    Joe speaks for himself obviously, but I'd bet a majority of players are feeling sore or achy by this point in the season.
    Well, apparently it was sore but not anything really to worry about:







    And to top it off:



  12. #30
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    And get this - I could hardly believe it today when Dick Bremer stated that the two Chris's (Colabello and Parmelee) are two of the most interesting stories on the Twins in a long, long time. Or did I dream that one liner from a broadcaster who has been around now for a good long while and should know better than to spread pap like that around. A simply incredulous statement I'd say, trust other listeners will agree. Sure I realize the broadcasters have to sell the product but cannot they be a little more intelligent and resourceful about it all? I do not think that is too much to ask, do any of the rest of you think so also?

  13. #31
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,054
    Like
    1,665
    Liked 494 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    And get this - I could hardly believe it today when Dick Bremer stated that the two Chris's (Colabello and Parmelee) are two of the most interesting stories on the Twins in a long, long time. Or did I dream that one liner from a broadcaster who has been around now for a good long while and should know better than to spread pap like that around. A simply incredulous statement I'd say, trust other listeners will agree. Sure I realize the broadcasters have to sell the product but cannot they be a little more intelligent and resourceful about it all? I do not think that is too much to ask, do any of the rest of you think so also?
    I would say Colabello has a nice story, even if it's not exactly a rags to riches story. Not sure of Parmelee though. Albers had a good story. Perkins has a great story considering he is borderline elite at his job.


    I think Dick and Bert have a unique brand of homerism that is grating but most broadcast teams are homers I bet. Hard to keep saying positive things when the product has been so underwhelming for so long. So they will continue to fumble around with story lines until the team starts to win.

    What did Dick and Bert say about Joe?

  14. #32
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,868
    Like
    185
    Liked 673 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I think Dick and Bert have a unique brand of homerism
    Their brand of homerism is unique, but in my experience they're pretty middle of the pack in how forwardly homer they are.

  15. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I would say Colabello has a nice story, even if it's not exactly a rags to riches story. Not sure of Parmelee though. Albers had a good story. Perkins has a great story considering he is borderline elite at his job.


    I think Dick and Bert have a unique brand of homerism that is grating but most broadcast teams are homers I bet. Hard to keep saying positive things when the product has been so underwhelming for so long. So they will continue to fumble around with story lines until the team starts to win.

    What did Dick and Bert say about Joe?
    Said Too bad Joe won't be able to play in the all star game:-)

  16. This user likes OldTimeTwinkie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (07-03-2014)

  17. #34
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    484
    Like
    220
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    You know, when I speak of the Twins having bad luck this season, I'm not talking about cry in my beer, "oh my, we'd be a real contender if it weren't for bad luck, damn the baseball gods!", kind of bad luck.

    There is the luck of funny bounces and the such. You hope you get more good than bad. But the one "luck" factor every team in every sport hopes for is just general good fortune in regard to overall team health. And there is no doubt other teams have had bad to terrible "luck" this season. And yes, Texas comes first to mind.

    But my goodness, at one point a few weeks back, the entire Twins 4 man OF was injured at the same time. And if Mauer's injury happened just a few days ago, right when he's hitting the best he has all season, the entire infield sans Dozier would be injured simultaneously. That's just crazy. Lousy timing. And hard to build any sort of lineup consistency as a result.

    Add to the fact that the Twins have 2 of the top 3-5 prospects in all of baseball, depending on who's list you look at, out for all to most of the season, guys that had a real shot to play in the ML this year, and a small bit of "poor us" wouldn't be out of bounds.

    Silver lining wise, however, we have had some very pleasant surprises at the ML level. And some good stories. Hopefully Colabello will once again be part of a continuing good story. And despite the loss of our top two prospects thus far, and a few other injuries, there have been some great success stories in the minors this year.

    If you time Mauer's 14 day DL out, it could mean a healthy, "lucky" second half of the season where we might actually build some consistency finally. Coupled with some warranted milb promotions, and a return to action for Buxton, and hopefully some late season DH action for Sano, we could be for some really nice second half treats to the season.

  18. #35
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    800
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Should be able to figure out where Parmelee fits in the next 2 weeks, rest is less certain. Much speedier move my the Twins than over the last few years, that is a good start.

  19. #36
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,054
    Like
    1,665
    Liked 494 Times in 288 Posts
    I like the idea of a Parmelee/Colabello platoon at first. Gardy's been trying to get Parms into the lineup while still DHing Morales and playing Arcia, here's our chance.

    I wonder if the Twins shouldn't have waited to DL Mauer. Something about the optics of your All Star Ambassador to Minnesota getting injured by swinging a baseball bat. When we prematurely DL'ed Nunez, the end result was Florimon got to start at SS after Santana got hurt.

  20. #37
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,588
    Like
    199
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Injury comments: The Twins have had good luck keeping their pitchers healthy FWIW. I think that is probably a function of the way Gardy uses his bullpen, despite what is written on this site. They have lost one pitcher (Pelfrey) and no one else has spent any time on the DL.

    Disabling Mauer was an easy call. Oblique injuries are stubborn and he will be unable to swing a bat for the full two weeks most likely. The decision for Nuñez was based on the lack of a bench at the time. He was unavailable for a few days and they couldn't go short any longer. It really hurt that Santana went down a bit later because it forced the Twins to use Florimon and recall Polanco, two things they didn't want to do.

  21. #38
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,054
    Like
    1,665
    Liked 494 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Injury comments: The Twins have had good luck keeping their pitchers healthy FWIW. I think that is probably a function of the way Gardy uses his bullpen, despite what is written on this site. They have lost one pitcher (Pelfrey) and no one else has spent any time on the DL.

    Disabling Mauer was an easy call. Oblique injuries are stubborn and he will be unable to swing a bat for the full two weeks most likely. The decision for Nuñez was based on the lack of a bench at the time. He was unavailable for a few days and they couldn't go short any longer. It really hurt that Santana went down a bit later because it forced the Twins to use Florimon and recall Polanco, two things they didn't want to do.
    I agree with you on the health of the pitching staff. We joke about the 100 pitch magic number but hey, our guys stay healthy and are worked the right amount. Also, nobody predicted this nice run from Correia.

    The Nunez situation is an argument for another time but I think you are right about Mauer ending up on the DL sooner or later, so why not just do it now. But swinging a bat… why, Joe, why?

  22. #39
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,411
    Like
    420
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    It was more an indictment of how uninspiring their options are, than of the logic of the move. Is anyone actually excited by this new shiny toy?

    The Astros have promoted 4 legit starters to the majors this year, including two that could be star types.....the Twins have new MLBPers, Santana, Pino, and Tonkin this year. Just isn't exciting at all. (not counting Polanco, since that was an emergency, and he's back in A ball, proving they don't think he's close to ready)

    Was a general lament, not a specific one.
    Mike, these guys aren't getting promoted in a vacuum, and I'd think that guys like Carlos Gomez and Delmon Young can provide a reasonable amount of caution when it comes to just promoting guys. It's a pretty big gap between the talent they see in the minors and what exists in the majors. The only other guy on the 40 man who could have fit this need was Vargas, and he's slumping in AA right now. I like him as a prospect and I think he's going to turn into a Kendry Morales type guy in MLB, but it does no bit of good to send a guy struggling in AA to the majors so he can struggle/not play there. Gardy certainly won't play him much (look at Polanco), and in this case, rightfully so given that he has far better options at 1st than what he had a short. I understand wanting to see the kids, but overall, you can lose years of development by just throwing them into the fire. As a fan, I'd must rather see them when they are ready and producing with the team maximizing the value of their service time than to waste it watching them struggle when they need more seasoning like what they did with Hicks.

  23. #40
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,723
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Isn't that what I said? It is that no one is ready....that's the disappointing part. I think I said that like 3 times in this thread.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.