Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: We're Going Streaking With Chris Parmelee

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The question is if he can sustain this. I hope he can. Some mechanical adjustments to that swing would help him with pitches up in the zone it looks like. When the league adjusts to him we will just have to see if he adjusts back.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When he's on, he's a middle order bat... when he's not... well, you don't want him in the 9 spot. Hopefully he can figure out a way to minimize his weaknesses more... even the ability to foul off those high strikes would increase his likeliness of getting that hittable pitch lower in the zone. My biggest complaint is that he is Gardy's refusal to let him work through his slumps. I hope they let him play the rest of the year and allow him to adjust his mechanics a bit. I really do think he could be that other corner outfielder, especially if Hicks fails. His defense is decent in the corner, and I'd think that a Parm, Buxton, Arcia OF in a couple of years would be a nice balance of bat and glove.

4. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (07-03-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    When he's on, he's a middle order bat... when he's not... well, you don't want him in the 9 spot. Hopefully he can figure out a way to minimize his weaknesses more... even the ability to foul off those high strikes would increase his likeliness of getting that hittable pitch lower in the zone. My biggest complaint is that he is Gardy's refusal to let him work through his slumps. I hope they let him play the rest of the year and allow him to adjust his mechanics a bit. I really do think he could be that other corner outfielder, especially if Hicks fails. His defense is decent in the corner, and I'd think that a Parm, Buxton, Arcia OF in a couple of years would be a nice balance of bat and glove.
    I think that Plouffe is going to figure in there, as well. What Parmelee has been doing during his hot stretch is swing at strikes and use all fields especially with two strikes. If he can continue to do this, he can at least partly sustain this kind of hitting.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    "he reminds me of a young John Fogerty"

This made me laugh. So I guess I can actually say "lol" here.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
    I hate to be Debbie Downer, but while he is getting a lot of hits over the last 10 games, they are nearly all singles. Just 1 XBH and 0 walks.
    I guess to me, if you get stretches like that from a guy like Danny Santana or Pedro Florimon you take any hits you can get, but for a corner OF/1B type who won't steal any bases, I think I'd like to see some more XBH's, especially during one of his hot streaks.

EDIT: OK, disregard this entire post, apparently I have a blind spot on my bbref lookup skills.
    Parm has 4 doubles, that is what I like to see.
    Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 07-03-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate to be Debbie Downer, but while he is getting a lot of hits over the last 10 games, they are nearly all singles. Just 1 XBH and 0 walks.
    Four doubles: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...tting_gamelogs

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDFan View Post

LIMM

(Laugh inside my mind)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His past twelve games, which is classic cherry-picking, his BA is .488. Four doubles and a homer fatten up his SLG, and the few walks aren't needed for a towering OBP, giving a stupidly high OPS of 1.170.

Of course, this is built on a BABIP of .613. Also stupidly high. Probably that number will get more intelligent soon.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    EDIT: OK, disregard this entire post, apparently I have a blind spot on my bbref lookup skills.
    Parm has 4 doubles, that is what I like to see.
    Even with the correct stats, I think your point still has some validity. His recent OPS spike is almost entirely AVG-driven (and specifically BABIP, it was .818 for a week there!).

I was even skeptical of Mauer's hot streak for those reasons, and he's got a much better history as an AVG hitter than Parm.

Even if there's some real improvement here, without some extra OBP or SLG, it's more like improving from ~85 OPS+ to 100 OPS+. If one isn't bringing positional or defensive value to the table, that still clearly profiles as a bench bat (although a bench bat would be a lot better than a AAAA bat!).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His numbers this season should be looked at as a whole. Breaking a small sample into splits has no value and at this sample. Measures like OPS have little meaning for the future.

At this sample, you might look at his basic rate numbers.

• His walk rate of 4.3% is very low and low relative to his career rate.
    • His strikeout rate of 24.3% is about his career rate.
    • Fly ball rate is up about 7% to 49.4% and correspondingly ground ball rate is down to 27.2%. Those numbers were about equal at 39% in 2013.

The fly ball/ground ball rates look more like Josh Willingham's profile.

The walk rate suggests he might be more aggressive. That his backed up by his increased swing rate on pitches in the strike zone. As the season progresses, he will not stay successful at that walk rate. He will begin to see fewer pitches in the strike zone and need to adjust.

The Twins need to play him enough this year to determine if he can be useful in a bench or platoon role. A Randy Bush type career is possible.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    With such different high/low hitting profiles, would you want to bat Dozier and Parmelee next to each other in the lineup? Would a starting pitcher be more mistake prone in that instance?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the adjustment to Parmelee will be to throw more pitches out of the zone and see if he chases. He'll need to lay off those pitches and probably start drawing more walks. It seems Parm has made a conscious decision to be more aggressive and right now it is working.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapTheNickname View Post
    LIMM

(Laugh inside my mind)
    SBAC (slight, but audible chuckle)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Let's hope the Yankees don't read this!