Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Advance Scouting

  1. #1
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    145
    Like
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

    Advance Scouting

    Does anyone have any insight on the Twins advance scouting? Do they use a service of some kind or do they employ their own staff? I may be grasping at straws, but it seems like we've been victim quite often to marginal pitchers shutting us down and average hitters lighting us up. I can't help but wonder if we're being consistently out thought, and if it isn't in part due to poor advance scouting.

    Just curious if anyone has any opinion.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Posts
    353
    Like
    17
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    I don't know for sure, but I had heard that most MLB teams had moved away from advanced scouts. I think teams are relying more on video and other reports in place of the advance scouts these days.

  3. #3
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,607
    Like
    3,679
    Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I had heard that most MLB teams had moved away from advanced scouts. I think teams are relying more on video and other reports in place of the advance scouts these days.
    I'm not sure where, but I also remember reading the same thing.

    EDIT: Found this article...Twins apparently still using advance scouts, at least as of last year.

    http://onlineathens.com/sports/2012-...uts-technology
    Last edited by USAFChief; 07-05-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  4. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (07-05-2014)

  5. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,666
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Chief's article didn't say the Twins don't use all of the technology, just that they employ an advance scout. As far as marginal pitchers go, are they pitchers they have seen before? You can know what a pitchers throws, but it generally helps to have seen the pitcher before. Of course it would help to not have some marginal hitters.

  6. #5
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,122
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    In today's game, I'm not sure why advance scouts are necessary. Video and advanced analytics (examined by a scout or trained professional) should be more consistent and nuanced.

  7. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,666
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    In watching a game you can get a sense of the whole thing that you can not get with video.

  8. #7
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,850
    Like
    180
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    In watching a game you can get a sense of the whole thing that you can not get with video.
    Such as?

  9. #8
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,085
    Like
    1,816
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Such as?
    Grit doesn't translate well to video.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  10. These 3 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ChiTownTwinsFan (07-06-2014), GCTF (07-06-2014), TheLeviathan (07-06-2014)

  11. #9
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,078
    Like
    4,534
    Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Such as?
    Such as how a pitcher is tipping his pitches, which might be visible only from certain angles?

  12. #10
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,044
    Like
    1,640
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    The article also says you can catch some good scuttlebutt just hanging around a team and talking to people, stuff that might be useful. Whether the Twins are taking full advantage of their advance scouting is an open question though.

  13. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,492
    Like
    154
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Such as how a pitcher is tipping his pitches, which might be visible only from certain angles?
    Maybe i'm missing something, but if its not visible from the home plate angle, wouldn't it be pretty much useless to the hitter, since that is the angle the hitter is seeing from when he's batting?

  14. #12
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,078
    Like
    4,534
    Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Maybe i'm missing something, but if its not visible from the home plate angle, wouldn't it be pretty much useless to the hitter, since that is the angle the hitter is seeing from when he's batting?
    Is there a camera that shows the pitch from that angle?

    I have met a few scouts at games, but only when I was fortunate enough to be sitting close to the field, behind home plate.

  15. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,666
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Such as?
    There are things better served by video, there are things one see by observing.
    Shading the defense does in a bigger picture. Different ways they set up How a runner might time leaving a base with a pitch. You can see how they work a lot better ( Yep, sort of grit), what gets different people rattled, and watch the decision making process.
    I think you can tell better how they make adjustments watching the game. I think they can get a better idea of tendencies of the other team.
    It would be anything you can do to find an edge for your team. Anything to do with the human element

    Maybe for some they don't see the game any differently when they watch it on television.

  16. #14
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,850
    Like
    180
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    There are things better served by video, there are things one see by observing.
    Shading the defense does in a bigger picture. Different ways they set up How a runner might time leaving a base with a pitch. You can see how they work a lot better ( Yep, sort of grit), what gets different people rattled, and watch the decision making process.
    I think you can tell better how they make adjustments watching the game. I think they can get a better idea of tendencies of the other team.
    It would be anything you can do to find an edge for your team. Anything to do with the human element

    Maybe for some they don't see the game any differently when they watch it on television.
    Honestly I think all of these things would translate just as well on video as they do in person. I think the idea you need to have someone there is just an antiquated, feel-good notion.

  17. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    584
    Like
    147
    Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Grit doesn't translate well to video.
    John_Wayne_true_gr_1812079b.jpg

    Well I thought it translated just fine

  18. This user likes gil4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    snepp (07-06-2014)

  19. #16
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,085
    Like
    1,816
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    John_Wayne_true_gr_1812079b.jpg

    Well I thought it translated just fine
    That's true grit though, not the rhetorical variety.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.