Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Team Record 3 Grand Slams

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    545
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33

    Team Record 3 Grand Slams

    Adam Brett Walker II hit his league leading 18th home run today (July 4th). The home run was his 3rd Grand Slam of this short season. Walker is 6 for 15 (.400)with the bases loaded this season with 19 RBI. That is some awesome production!! This is the second consecutive fourth of July that Walker has hit a home run.

    His 18 home runs are just 3 off (21) the Fort Myer Miracle season record. His 62 RBI are a league best as well. Walker needs to do much better with his BA.

    But despite his .235 BA and lowly .288 OBP - he has more runs scored (46); home runs (18); and RBI (62) than FSL MVP front runner Josh Bell (Bradenton) - .333 BA and .379 OBP; runs scored (39); home runs (9); and RBI (50). That's not to say Walker is MVP worthy, but to say that his production is still incredibly game ready.

    Bell earned $5 million as a signing bonus and seems to be well worth it this year with his incredible season numbers. I'm excited to see him play in the Futures game. That being said - I still say Adam Brett Walker II is a steal for the Twins based on what the critics said and continue to say. A true winner!!
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 07-04-2014 at 03:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    545
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-mc0ktgPc
    Walker hits a homer at Dunedin

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    545
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rP5unDlZA
    Walker hits a homer at Bradenton

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    224
    Like
    6
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Has anyone seen him? The questions are multiple and obvious. His BA has to be a concern. It shows (I guess) a huge lack of discipline. Most puzzling is his performance with the bases loaded. Does this demonstrate that it's a matter of concentration? Also, are his dingers bombs or line drives just over the fence? Clearly, though, the production numbers are amazing.

  5. #5
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,368
    Like
    413
    Liked 809 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Adam Brett Walker II hit his league leading 18th home run today (July 4th). The home run was his 3rd Grand Slam of this short season. Walker is 6 for 15 (.400)with the bases loaded this season with 19 RBI. That is some awesome production!! This is the second consecutive fourth of July that Walker has hit a home run.

    His 18 home runs are just 3 off (21) the Fort Myer Miracle season record. His 62 RBI are a league best as well. Walker needs to do much better with his BA.

    But despite his .235 BA and lowly .288 OBP - he has more runs scored (46); home runs (18); and RBI (62) than FSL MVP front runner Josh Bell (Bradenton) - .333 BA and .379 OBP; runs scored (39); home runs (9); and RBI (50). That's not to say Walker is MVP worthy, but to say that his production is still incredibly game ready.

    Bell earned $5 million as a signing bonus and seems to be well worth it this year with his incredible season numbers. I'm excited to see him play in the Futures game. That being said - I still say Adam Brett Walker II is a steal for the Twins based on what the critics said and continue to say. A true winner!!
    I know the average is a concern, but what has been encouraging is that he's starting taking more walks and getting the OBP up, though his K rate is still concerning. This was one of the biggest scouting concerns on him, and the numbers indicate his approach is changing. It may take a bit for his average to return, but if he starts getting a bit more selective at his pitches, he could turn into a monster prospect.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,512
    Like
    74
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Looking for a comp among Twin minor leaguers over the last decade, I think Garrett Jones represents the best upside. They were both 22 at high A. They both had power, strikeouts and lack of walks. Jones has the advantage of batting left handed.

    It took time and patience with Garrett Jones. It will take the same with Walker.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I like that we have Walker. Jason Parks has said that he has first division type upside but the plate discipline is the huge question. If he figures it out, he's a great lottery ticket. If not, he probably doesn't get by AA. But he's a great 3rd round pick.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    498
    Like
    2
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    The Twins knew the deal with him and there's nothing wrong with taking a high risk player in the 3rd round. But it's not looking like they are going to be cashing the lotto ticket.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    545
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    Has anyone seen him? Also, are his dingers bombs or line drives just over the fence? Clearly, though, the production numbers are amazing.
    I would bet that his average home run over the course of his professional career are at least .400 feet. This kid can mash. The announcer said he hit the ball over the left center field grand stands and into the parking lot on Wednesday - Over the Tiki Bar in right center field on Thursday night and - Yesterdays grand slam was off the batters eye in dead center field. 3 Nights in a row and all over .400 feet.

    You should ask Miracle announcer Brice Zimmerman what he thinks of Walker's power and how it compares to Sano and Vargas from last year. I have no idea, but would probably be a good question.
    [email protected]

    or Tweet him at

    Brice Zimmerman@ZimMiracle


  10. #10
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,499
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Walker's power is as real as Sano's and probably a little more power/athleticism than Vargas. Much better athlete. He's got his flaw, but he is clutch. I don't even really believe that clutch is a skill, but he has been it the last two years, for sure. And, he's a terrific guy to boot.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    545
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Walker's power is as real as Sano's and probably a little more power/athleticism than Vargas. Much better athlete. He's got his flaw, but he is clutch. I don't even really believe that clutch is a skill, but he has been it the last two years, for sure. And, he's a terrific guy to boot.
    I just printed this page Seth. I can't believe you said the "Clutch" word - Lol. I will make sure Jeremy reads this in your next "Hang Out" broadcast.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,114
    Like
    137
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    On base percentage of .288 at high A? Home runs are great, but if you're a pure power play, you're still expected to get on base. A few years ago when Adam Dunn was hitting around .150, he still had a higher on base percentage that Walker has in high A. That's bad.

    Look, I'm glad that he's on our team, as I'm happy to have a lottery ticket. But this one just doesn't look like it's going to pay off.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    545
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    On base percentage of .288 at high A? Home runs are great, but if you're a pure power play, you're still expected to get on base. A few years ago when Adam Dunn was hitting around .150, he still had a higher on base percentage that Walker has in high A. That's bad.

    Look, I'm glad that he's on our team, as I'm happy to have a lottery ticket. But this one just doesn't look like it's going to pay off.
    I do get it, but tend to look at game results. Despite his low OBP he scores more than anyone on his team not named Polanco. Last year he scored as much as anyone (2nd) in his league despite his low OBP. If he consistently scores more than most with the low OBP and drives in more runs than anyone else depite the low OBP - Why would you need more to be happy?

    The Twins and Baltimore have the same OBP and same WHIP. The Twins however have 43 less HRs than the Orioles. Baltimore also has a better record (1st) in a perceived better division. The key to the game is to outscore your opponent and Walker has helped his teams do that on a consistent basis. The problem with your thought process is that you better have 5 to 6 high OBP players in the line up if you want to score runs. That's why Mauer has routinely never had high RBI totals or Runs scored totals.
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 07-06-2014 at 10:48 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,114
    Like
    137
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    The problem with your thought process is that you better have 5 to 6 high OBP players in the line up if you want to score runs. That's why Mauer has routinely never had high RBI totals or Runs scored totals.
    A) There's no problem with my thought process.

    B) Saying that high OBP correlates with scoring runs, while true, isn't complimentary to your little hobby horse, Adam Walker.

    C) We freaking get it. Can you post about something other than Walker?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    545
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    A) There's no problem with my thought process.

    B) Saying that high OBP correlates with scoring runs, while true, isn't complimentary to your little hobby horse, Adam Walker.

    C) We freaking get it. Can you post about something other than Walker?
    Sorry to offend you. Truly nothing personal. Just my way of saying I disagree (by using the word "problem". Didn't expect it to be a hot button. My apologies.

    I will however ride my hobby horse to the finish line if you don't mind too much. He seems to be paying off at each level thus far. And I will wait to see if our (Twins) better than average MLB OBP (13th) correlates to more wins. I will go with the better Slugging Percentage theory (Baltimore .424 as opposed to the Twins .370). OBP seems to be the formula of most baseball fans nationwide and I just have a hard time seeing the finish line that way. Til September.

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,368
    Like
    413
    Liked 809 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Walker's problem is contact related. That's going to get exposed at higher levels. He's got to lay off pitches he cannot hit. If he can reasonably do that, he'll be a decent player... If he really figures it out, he's going to be a star. This is a great selection for a 3rd round pick. Most of those guys don't do nearly as well as Walker has done thus far. I'd like to see that average/OBP up, and I wouldn't be shocked if he repeats high A, but his results this season have been encouraging considering his bad start.

  17. #17
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,499
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I just printed this page Seth. I can't believe you said the "Clutch" word - Lol. I will make sure Jeremy reads this in your next "Hang Out" broadcast.
    But it's not a gene... it's not genetic!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.