Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Org needs and Trade targets

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by curt1965 View Post
    It appears to me that the organization has a big hole at 3rd base. I'm not sure that Plouffe is the answer, but look what happened when he went down. The Twins did not show any confidence in Romero then, and although I'm excited as everyone when Sano gets here, I don't think he'll be playing there for 10 years (1B or OF, IMHO). No one in New Britian, Fort Meyers, or Cedar Rapids appear to be the answer. Big concern there!
    Sano is the 3B of the future. He may not stick there for long but he'll last at least a season or two, probably more like 4-5 seasons.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself from the previous thread, I'm with Thrylos on organizational C depth. The best are a season or two away at least, but I really like the options available. Also repeating myself, I still like Herrman a lot as well. And I think others would like him better as well, were he allowed to just play for a while instead of getting jerked up and down so much between the majors and AAA the past two years.

Big believer in a corner OF to replace Willingham, but that will almost assuredly be from FA as nobody really on the block could bring us much in this area unless we included a nice prospect or top prospect, and I'm not ready to do that.

BUT, while I can't name names, I wonder if there is a solid CF option out there stuck behind someone else on the bench, or stuck in AAA just waiting for that next opportunity. Sort of, someone else's version of Hicks for example. While waiting for Buxton, slowed this year in his development time, we need another option for 2015 at least, with the possible competition of Rosario, Hicks and even Santana as possibles, who could make a nice 4th OF if/when someone else takes the job away.

Right now, if we find trade value, that's what I'd be looking for.
    So Hermann is getting Parmeleed? Maybe.... It would be nice if Hermann became The Guy to take over behind Mauer, but he's not being treated like a catcher. Of course until Mauer went on the DL, Parms hasn't been treated like 1b either.

i have my concerns with CF too. It seems like Buxton is it, that's a lot of eggs in one basket considering how far Hicks' stock has fallen.
    Last edited by Sconnie; 07-06-2014 at 08:19 AM.
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Sano is the 3B of the future. He may not stick there for long but he'll last at least a season or two, probably more like 4-5 seasons.
    I dunno... I haven't seen him throw post TJ. He might be the future 1b or DH.
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I dunno... I haven't seen him throw post TJ. He might be the future 1b or DH.
    Or big corner OF

A couple of other names that have to be added to the 3B/cOF/1B equation, in addition to Sano and Harrison: Amaurys Minier & Niko Goodrum. Minier is the best prospect of the two and looks pretty good after shoulder surgery (he is ripping the GCL apart as an 18 year old. Power has not returned yet, but contact is very good and his selectivity is improving a lot.) He is Sano Jr. and will crack top 10 prospect lists sooner than later. Goodrum has made a full time transition to third at the FSL and he has responded at least on paper. Will be in FL this week and will try to see at least a couple of Miracle and GCL Twins' games to see more of these guys (and the rest of the prospects,) but I think they should not be ignored.

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that one does not need stars in every position. In '87 the Twins won with Lombardozzi at second and Laudner at catcher...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

5. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-06-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Herrmann is definitely being Partnered. Now, how good Herrmann can ultimately be is debatable.And BA may be fan's bible, but their opinion is not gospel. Still, they have thought enough of him to vote him top defensive C in the system. I like the hitting potential. Just needs to play.

Yes, I suppose you could say that Buxton is the lone egg in the C.F. basket at this time, but it's a beck of a basket! Not worried about him, just frustrated at his development slowing injury this season. I just don't think you can count on him for 2015, at least not early or for the bulk of the year. Rosario has also been slowed, but could yet be an option for 2015 before moving to LF. Hicks? Not banking on him at this point. Santana? Maybe. The physical tools are there. Maybe a short term or fill in option. FA or trade, we need a decent short term option.

Blog Entries
    Forget shaking off rust in general, pure arm strength might take a little time to come back fully. But if reports in his arm strength are accurate, losing a bit, short term or not, shouldn't preclude his still being a quality 3B. Romero is no Sano but should have gotten a shot a few weeks ago. Still think its way too early to move Harrison off 3B andI have a problem with that move. Goodrum, I believe, should still be looked at at SS, but I have to say he could be an interesting option at 3B. I doubt he'd ever develop real power, but if he can fill out his frame more, he has the potential for decent XB power with some HR projection to go along with speed and defense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Sano was "converted" to 3B and wasn't "buttah" there. Add the recent struggles of other "can't miss" Twins' rookies and engraving Sano into the line at 3B is too much. In fact, Sano might be the infield version of Arcia. Time will tell. Dry powder in storage and quality "options" at 3D are needed.

Blog Entries
    Apologies for some butchering in past couple or posts. Typing from my smart phone and its not as smart as its supposed to be.

Yes, Sano was moved to 3B, but from SS if you remember. This is not an OF, 1B or C trying to be forced to the hot corner, but an athletic big man who outgrew his previous position. No stats, but I bet you'd find a large number of 3B are converts to the position.

Despite some error problems, which always have to be taken with doses of salt, particularly in the lower minors, reports are of good work ethic, strong arm, hands and positioning getting better all the time. In fact, I have yet to read a single report that says he cant play at least OK at 3B. At least initially.

Yes, we could have more depth. Which is why I oppose moving Harrison off 3B so early. But with Plouffe and Sano, 3B should be solid for the next few years. Goodrum and Miner have a shot to do something in the lower levels.It wouldn't hurt to find a solid/top prospect in the next draft however. But on the trade front, not needed.

10. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-06-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by curt1965 View Post
    It appears to me that the organization has a big hole at 3rd base. I'm not sure that Plouffe is the answer, but look what happened when he went down. The Twins did not show any confidence in Romero then, and although I'm excited as everyone when Sano gets here, I don't think he'll be playing there for 10 years (1B or OF, IMHO). No one in New Britian, Fort Meyers, or Cedar Rapids appear to be the answer. Big concern there!
    Yeah, I didn't look that closely at it with Sano there. Harrison is not a bad prospect either, but he's definitely pretty raw... Another high upside 3B would help the system out.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Buxton and Sano are different from prospects that have come up to the Twins in the last decade. Both have the talent to be the best at their position and to be perennial All-Stars. Will they? Who knows? I talked to a scout about Buxton a year ago and he was certain he was going to be great, not good. Health could derail him, but I don't think anything else can. Sano, I am not as sure about, but he has great bat speed and maximum power. Sometime next year, he will be the Twins' third baseman and I hope he makes enough contact.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Responding to another comment, there shouldn't be much concern about Sano's arm. If he gets much bigger, there may be concern that he can stay at third, but I do think that is a couple years down the road.

Center field--I wonder which of Rosario, Hicks, Buxton sees AAA first. Further, I wonder which one of these guys plays for the Twins next. Rosario has struggled lately at New Britain, but has always hit. Hicks is showing some signs with the Rock Cats and Buxton is the #1 prospect in baseball. At the end of last year, many were drawing comparisons between Buxton and Trout. While the injury this year definitely rules out an audition this fall, I still believe he will be with the Twins for good sometime next year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12