Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A's trade for Samardzija

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    You're wrong. Both of those guys were formally high-touted prospects that flopped as they approached the big leagues. Those kinds of guys have FAR more upside than, say, Bartlett. Or Correia.
    Neither guy was ever a highly touted prospect. Schierholtz was taken in the 2nd round (63rd overall) and never cracked a top 100 list. He put up decent numbers in the PCL but managed about 2 WAR over three seasons jumping between AAA/ML at ages 26-28. He's the very definition of journeyman.

Sickels write up:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/2/20/1318323/2010/2/20/1318323/not-a-rookie-nate-schierholtz

Diamond was the same. BA wrote that "
    At his best, Diamond has shown fringe-to-average fastball velocity at 86-91 mph, and his overhand arm slot gives him a curveball that has been his best pitch throughout his minor league career."

No one ever had Diamond as a highly touted prospect. BA trade write up suggests that he was going to be given a potential LOOGY role. Sickels even had a prospect of the day write up on him:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/26/3117444/prospect-of-the-day-scott-diamond-lhp-minnesota-twins-scouting-report

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Billy Beane. I just love that guy.
    I am usually in the camp of lets make a run at this and Billy Beane is a smart guy. But if we had given up Buxton for Jeff S. and Hammel I can't say I would be cheering (Russell is the 3rd rated prospect in the game).

Jeff S. is a free agent in 15 months and is demanding a $100M deal over 5-6 years. He has a career 3.95 ERA in the NL. He has definitely been good this year, but do you want to hand out that deal? The A's won't and his value for 3 months won't be as high as what they gave up for him (when they try and flip him).

Hammel has a career 4.62 ERA, also having a good year. It just seems to me this is a huge buy high deal.

The only other time I remember the A's doing something like this it was a Matt Holiday rental for Carlos Gonzalez. That turned out very badly for them, this has the chance to as well.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Neither guy was ever a highly touted prospect.
    In 2007 he was the Giant's 4th best prospect on some BA lists. Was he a top 100 player? No, but still on a different stratosphere of upside than, say, Correia.

I was wrong about Diamond's ranking, confused him with a Texas prospect. Even still, he had more upside than Correia.

I could bring up Brandon Moss, Chris Davis, Jake Arrieta, etc. Guys like this are always around to take a gamble on - the success stories are few and far between, but I'd much rather gamble there then on Correia, Kubel, Bartlett, Pelfrey, etc.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    In 2007 he was the Giant's 4th best prospect on some BA lists. Was he a top 100 player? No, but still on a different stratosphere of upside than, say, Correia.

I was wrong about Diamond's ranking, confused him with a Texas prospect. Even still, he had more upside than Correia.

I could bring up Brandon Moss, Chris Davis, Jake Arrieta, etc. Guys like this are always around to take a gamble on - the success stories are few and far between, but I'd much rather gamble there then on Correia, Kubel, Bartlett, Pelfrey, etc.
    I think you're misremembering Correia, though. He was very highly thought of after his 2003 season where he jumped to AAA and put up a 23/2 K/BB rate in 19 innings of AAA ball in the PCL just one year after being drafted. There wasn't the huge prospect coverage that there is now, but I believe Sickels was on ESPN at the time, because I remember him really being high on Correia, which led me to pick him up in a dynasty league.

Pelfrey was a big time prospect as was Kubel, and Kubel and Barlett had both produced at a fairly high level in the big leagues. Bartlett less recently, but Kubel in 2012 was a guy who put up 30 home runs while playing outfield in Arizona. Pelfrey's money was a poor choice, but taking a flyer on guys like Kubel and Bartlett weren't bad ideas at all, especially with Kubel.

There are many things to rip on the Twins about, but using an angle that they weren't going after guys who were once highly-touted prospects is not accurate, even if that prospect time was some time ago.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    There are many things to rip on the Twins about, but using an angle that they weren't going after guys who were once highly-touted prospects is not accurate, even if that prospect time was some time ago.
    Cmon ben, that's a totally different conversation. Picking up guys 2-3 years away from being hyped and guys 15 years from it are not even in the same ballpark.

The team hasn't targeted enough young buy-lows and has preferred old buy-inbetweens. That's the problem.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 07-08-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: do not imply intentional dishonesty

Cmon ben, that's a totally different conversation. Picking up guys 2-3 years away from being hyped and guys 15 years from it are not even in the same ballpark.

The team hasn't targeted enough young buy-lows and has preferred old buy-inbetweens. That's the problem.
    But stating that Kubel had limited or no upside is incorrect as well, even if he wasn't a "prospect". He hit 30 home runs while having to play the field in 2012.

Pelfrey the first go-round was a post-hype guy, but he didn't work out. The oddity was resigning him after they tried that path once. They also acquired a post-hype prospect in their Doumit trade when they got Gilmartin, and he pitched well in AA, but AAA looks a lot like his AAA season of 2013. The Twins have attempted to go after some formerly hyped guys, and they didn't work out. The A's have done it a lot more, so we see their successes much more than their failures. They've converted roughly a dozen players from hitters to pitchers in the last 5-7 years, per Billy Beane, but Sean Doolittle works out, so they're considered geniuses of converting players. Similarly, they take a risk on a ton of post-hype guys, and many of them fail, but we remember the guys who succeed.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 07-08-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: removing offensive phrase from the post being replied to

But stating that Kubel had limited or no upside is incorrect as well, even if he wasn't a "prospect". He hit 30 home runs while having to play the field in 2012.
    Sure, he had some upside. But he's not young and it was extremely limited, especially given what he demonstrated in ST. And I would credit Gilmartin as a fine gamble. There haven't been enough of them.

I've also fully acknowledged they fail far more often than they succeed - which is why you need to cast your net wide. We haven't done enough of that IMO.

Sure, he had some upside. But he's not young and it was extremely limited, especially given what he demonstrated in ST. And I would credit Gilmartin as a fine gamble. There haven't been enough of them.

I've also fully acknowledged they fail far more often than they succeed - which is why you need to cast your net wide. We haven't done enough of that IMO.
    Those sorts of guys tend to get to be the sort of signing that gets a lot of panning, however. The Braves got a lot of grief from team fans because of letting Ernesto Mejia go to Japan without shopping him around, but reports in the month afterward confirmed the Braves had active trade talks with roughly a half-dozen teams, but none would give anything of value for Mejia, and according to an "anonymous source", one GM reported that giving anything of value for Mejia would get him lambasted in the local media. When GMs are getting ripped for such moves, some guys ignore that noise and keep up with their plan, like Beane when he signed a guy who'd been let go by three organizations and had been a top-100 guy once, 7 years prior that turned into Brandon Moss. Other guys tend to shy away from those deals, especially if their club is struggling with poor PR.

Other guys tend to shy away from those deals, especially if their club is struggling with poor PR.
    That's very true, I'd just like our administration to be a bit more brave and daring. Especially when there is so little to lose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123