Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Starlin Castro

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Starlin Castro

The Cubs picked up shortstop prospect Addison Russell, adding to their bank of highly touted shortstops (Javier Baez and Starlin Castro). There is already talk (of course, there is always talk) that the Cubs could/would/need to move somebody.

At age 24, Castro is in his 5th year of MLB and is signed through 2019 with a team option in 2020:
    2014 -- $5MM
    2015 -- $6MM
    2016 -- $7MM
    2017 -- $9MM
    2018 -- $10MM
    2019 -- $11MM
    2020 -- $16MM (Team option, $1MM buyout)

His slash line is .283/.324/.412 (.736).

What would you be willing to give up for Starlin Castro?

Or do you like Escobar and Santana and Polanco enough to not bother even thinking about it?
    Last edited by scottz; 07-05-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added Polanco

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I'd be all in favor. He's beaten that career line in four of five years.

It would be expensive though.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    They would want Meyer plus someone else as a starting point I'm guessing.

I'm not a huge fan of Castro, he really hasnt improved that much since hes been in the league. No need to pay for a hot streak as last year he hit .245 with a .284 OBP. That doesnt excite me. I dont know how his defense plays these days but I remember he had a lot of throwing errors when he came up.

To costly in what they would want back in pitching or prospects, and would Castro make that much a difference that he would make this a playoff team? No, the A's are going for it now because they realize there window of contention is the here and now and you need to win a championship when the opportunity is there in front of you like it is for them. This might be their year to go for it and Beane realizes that.
    Twins are too far away right now.
    They would want Meyer, Berrios, or a Buxton type as center piece of any deal along with a Dozier or Arcia type controllable player. I like Santana and or Polanco down the road anyways as the Twins next short stop. Castro is a nice player but we lack and have to many holes on this team for a player like Castro to be effective with this group.
    Last edited by jaimedude2; 07-05-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimedude2 View Post
    To costly in what they would want back in pitching or prospects, and would Castro make that much a difference that he would make this a playoff team? No, the A's are going for it now because they realize there window of contention is the here and now and you need to win a championship when the opportunity is there in front of you like it is for them. This might be their year to go for it and Beane realizes that.
    Twins are too far away right now.
    They would want Meyer, Berrios, or a Buxton type as center piece of any deal along with a Dozier or Arcia type controllable player. I like Santana and or Polanco down the road anyways as the Twins next short stop. Castro is a nice player but we lack and have to many holes on this team for a player like Castro to be effective with this group.
    If "would player X make the Twins a playoff team" is the criteria for acquiring a player, they might as well acquire nobody, since that player doesn't exist.

6. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    If "would player X make the Twins a playoff team" is the criteria for acquiring a player, they might as well acquire nobody, since that player doesn't exist.
    I think the Twins should get a lot closer to contention before trading off prospects. If/When the team is competitive with a nucleus of Buxton/Sano/Meyer then you can worry about trading a Kohl Stewart for an elite shortstop (if the team hasn't found an internal one).

8. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-05-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Ya, no sense in getting better year over year, and getting to competitiveness faster. Add one player a year, then maybe ma ke trades....the anti MN wild plan.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We may have to get worse to get better. My best guess is the first big wave will arrive in 2016, that is why I expect the Twins should trade better players now and get more prospects back. Perkins will be 33 and Dozier 32 in 2016. My feeling is that 33-35 is the end for most big league players in the new non roid era. Therefore players who will not contribute or be in decline at that time need to be moved now while there value is high, not when the sure thing prospect replaces them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Ya, no sense in getting better year over year, and getting to competitiveness faster. Add one player a year, then maybe ma ke trades....the anti MN wild plan.
    I don't follow hockey but my understanding is that the wild are pretty mediocre despite making big splashes in FA. Not that the two sports are comparable.

Before this season, the Twins could probably have traded Buxton or Sano for David Price, straight up. That would have made this team, say, 42-44. Would that have made sense? They have elite foundation pieces coming up - players considered on par with Joe Mauer when he was a prospect. Ryan has added complementary players in both free agency and trades to go with that core.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I don't follow hockey but my understanding is that the wild are pretty mediocre despite making big splashes in FA. Not that the two sports are comparable.
    Mediocre? Yeah, that's complete nonsense.

Ryan has added complementary players in both free agency and trades to go with that core.
    Even rebuilding teams have to add older complementary pieces, this is true. Signing them to two or three year deals? Signing ones with a snowballs chance in Arizona of having trade value? 40 man cloggers? These are optional decisions. Ryan needs to act like a rebuilder this month, he's yet to do that since this second stint.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Ryan needs to act like a rebuilder this month, he's yet to do that since this second stint.
    I guess I don't follow your logic. Since he came back, I don't think he's let any potential free agent walk. Just because he didn't trade Span for a lesser package at the 2012 deadline doesn't mean he wasn't rebuilding or right to wait for the Nats to agree to his terms, for instance. I suppose he could have gone scorched earth like the Astros and tried to get the team to lose 110 games.

14. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (07-06-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I guess I don't follow your logic. Since he came back, I don't think he's let any potential free agent walk. Just because he didn't trade Span for a lesser package at the 2012 deadline doesn't mean he wasn't rebuilding or right to wait for the Nats to agree to his terms, for instance. I suppose he could have gone scorched earth like the Astros and tried to get the team to lose 110 games.
    I listed the mistakes that are getting annoying.

I think the Twins should get a lot closer to contention before trading off prospects. If/When the team is competitive with a nucleus of Buxton/Sano/Meyer then you can worry about trading a Kohl Stewart for an elite shortstop (if the team hasn't found an internal one).
    The key question, of course, is "how do you get a lot closer to contention?"

Throwing all your eggs in the "wait till the minor league stars become big league stars, all at the same time" basket has its own set of risks.

17. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (07-06-2014), mike wants wins (07-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Considering they just got the A's to give them the #11 prospect in baseball for a less valuable player than Castro, that would probably eliminate every spec except Buxton and Sano for the centerpiece of a trade. And, considering that they already have an absurd amount of elite IF prospects, that would lead me to believe that Buxton would be their asking price.
    No thanks. As much as I'd love to rebuild around Castro at a premium position like SS, Buxton to me is pretty much untouchable.

19. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (07-07-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Considering they just got the A's to give them the #11 prospect in baseball for a less valuable player than Castro, that would probably eliminate every spec except Buxton and Sano for the centerpiece of a trade. And, considering that they already have an absurd amount of elite IF prospects, that would lead me to believe that Buxton would be their asking price.
    No thanks. As much as I'd love to rebuild around Castro at a premium position like SS, Buxton to me is pretty much untouchable.
    Yep. This.

It will probably require Buxton to get Castro, maybe Meyer or Sano.

Is anyone here willing to give up Buxton for anything at this point?

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about one of their "elite infield prospects"?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    I also assume the price would be much too lofty. Still, I'm not sure he's available. Just about everybody thinks Russell will not stick at SS at the MLB level and it's split whether Baez will.

It's really frustrating that the Cubs are awful but have these uber-valuable trade assets while the Twins are awufl and have only low-value players to deal. I'm not sure if it's more an indictment on the Cubs on field staff that they can't get a team with superior players to win more games, or if it's just confirmation that having a couple of good pieces isn't nearly enough to be competitive.