Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Extra Guys

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 472 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries

Extra Guys

After looking at the candidates for "last man" in each league, I am torn about who to vote for in the AL--they are all deserving. Meanwhile, I think Morneau will win the "last man" vote in the NL. He has been an All-Star before, he's got a good story and good stats and no other candidate is from a huge market (yeah Chicago, but that is split between two teams).

BTW, mods I put this in Twins talk, but I understand if it is moved to Other Baseball.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
    Vote for Kluber. Hes been pitching all season unlike Sale and his stats are even better then they look thanks to the Indians having horrendous defense.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 604 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    Vote for Kluber. Hes been pitching all season unlike Sale and his stats are even better then they look thanks to the Indians having horrendous defense.
    Kluber has been great, but I think I'd still vote Sale. The guy is just ridiculous and his stats are a bit better. (Just not as much because of the injury)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Kluber has been great, but I think I'd still vote Sale. The guy is just ridiculous and his stats are a bit better. (Just not as much because of the injury)
    Just a bit in 30 less innings. I do like the underdog story and Kluber just came out of nowhere the past year and half.

Liked 1,168 Times in 685 Posts
    I just voted a bunch of times for Morneau (I thought it would stop me at some point and since I was watching something on TV, I just kept voting. You can cast a lot of votes in a half hour or so).

Just didn't vote in the AL.

I hope Morneau makes it but there is a lot of lobbying going on in the boards over at mlb -- and talk of alliances between fan bases.

6. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (07-07-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (07-06-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 46 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I voted Morneau (approximately) 50 times already and I'll continue to do so. I'll be at the game and I want to give him a proper Target Field send off. Shamelessly sentimental? You bet. I'm not even sorry for it - Justin deserves a proper send off from Twins fans. I'll do my darndest to make sure he gets it.

AL side, I've been voting for Sale. Dude's filthy. I'd imagine Sale and Kluber both make it when it's all said and done, however.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 472 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It continues to look like Morneau will win the Last Man vote. It is fitting in that the game is a exhibition and Morneau spent over a decade here and is having a nice comeback year in Colorado. He is 6th in OPS and WAR at first base in the NL, but does have the best batting average.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 199 Times in 120 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I voted for Morneau and Richards. I wasn't going to vote for a White Sox player, so it was between Richards and Kluber for me. Richards has been pitching well so I went with him.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I voted for Morneau and Richards. I wasn't going to vote for a White Sox player, so it was between Richards and Kluber for me. Richards has been pitching well so I went with him.
    I've been voting Morneau and Kluber. It's fun when you are in a rural county because you can actually affect the "color" of your county on the maps on mlb.com:

http://m.mlb.com/visualization/

http://m.mlb.com/visualization/

I think I see you in southern IA, Tibs.

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    I been voting for Morneau. A lot of votes. I'm going to be at the game, and I'm hoping to cheer him on.

I voted some for Sale, but then I reset my vote to only vote for Morneau. I don't really care who the extra man for the AL is to be honest.

I'm actually going to be at the Rockies game on Friday in Denver as well. Hopefully, they'll be able to make an announcement at the game that Mornie is coming back to Minneapolis for the game.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm not trying to be critical here. The All-Star game is set up to let the fans pick the rosters. I get that. I don't want to upset or insult anyone with my comments.

But look at the perspectives being communicated. Sentimentality . . . not voting for someone because they play for a team I don't like . . . a good story . . . an underdog. Rarely is ability or performance cited.

We should forever quit talking about the All-Star game as any objective measure of ability or greatness. And yet writers who have HOF votes commonly refer to how many times a player was an All-Star.

I doubt the sentiments being expressed here are any different that those held by baseball fans anywhere else. I don't mean to be critical of anyone's opinion and how they base their votes. I just cringe when I think that these All-Star ballots have an impact on how many fans - and more importantly HOF voters - view players historically. They are popularity contests, not objective measures of greatness.

13. These 2 users like SDFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

brvama (Yesterday), stringer bell (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    It continues to look like Morneau will win the Last Man vote. It is fitting in that the game is a exhibition and Morneau spent over a decade here and is having a nice comeback year in Colorado. He is 6th in OPS and WAR at first base in the NL, but does have the best batting average.
    One of the things that impresses me about Justin's record is that for all the groaning about how Coors Field is beneficial, Morny has the smallest (or about the smallest) discrepancy between his home and road splits of the five final vote candidates.

If someone wants to groan about home field advantage, they should look at the huge disparity in Justin Upton's numbers at home or on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by SDFan View Post
    I'm not trying to be critical here. The All-Star game is set up to let the fans pick the rosters. I get that. I don't want to upset or insult anyone with my comments.

But look at the perspectives being communicated. Sentimentality . . . not voting for someone because they play for a team I don't like . . . a good story . . . an underdog. Rarely is ability or performance cited.

We should forever quit talking about the All-Star game as any objective measure of ability or greatness. And yet writers who have HOF votes commonly refer to how many times a player was an All-Star.

I doubt the sentiments being expressed here are any different that those held by baseball fans anywhere else. I don't mean to be critical of anyone's opinion and how they base their votes. I just cringe when I think that these All-Star ballots have an impact on how many fans - and more importantly HOF voters - view players historically. They are popularity contests, not objective measures of greatness.
    But your gripe then, JC, should be with the HOF voters not the All-Star game voters. If you want it all to come down to some kind of analytical numbers then come up with parameters and feed it into a computer.

But that's not what the AS Game is about for me and its not what the HOF is about for me. That human element of why people appreciate one player or another is also a factor.

Edit: OOPS, I apologize to SD Fan for thinking this was posted by SD Buhr (and apologize to JC for that mistake). Old eyes.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; Yesterday at 04:23 PM.

16. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (Yesterday), Tibs (Yesterday)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 199 Times in 120 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDFan View Post

To me, it's pretty obvious that the All-Star game is mainly a popular contest. However, it's not like the rosters are filled with guys who don't deserve to be there.

I should be the least of your worries when it comes to fans voting. I'm actually an intelligent person and know a bit about baseball.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.