Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinker: Pirates find Worley's mechanical flaw

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sinker: Pirates find Worley's mechanical flaw

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/266033721.html

Howard Sinker found an article in the Philadelphia Daily News in which Vance Worley talked about a mechanical flaw that the Pirates coaches saw that the Twins coaches didn't.

The pitching coached thought he was pitching like he was still hurt.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When Worley was traded, I said something along the lines of "if Vance comes back with the Pirates, Anderson needs to be fired."

I've followed the Twins for a long time. This may be the most damning evidence of coaching incompetence that I've seen during that time.

Unbelievable.

With Liriano, you could make the argument "that's just Francisco being Francisco" and sure enough, he imploded again in 2014. He's just an enigma; I can't blame or praise any coaching staff for how that guy performs.

But missing a mechanical issue with a pitcher who went from promising to garbage almost overnight? Unacceptable. Completely unacceptable.

3. These 16 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

beckmt (07-07-2014), cmathewson (07-07-2014), curt1965 (07-07-2014), diehardtwinsfan (07-07-2014), gil4 (07-07-2014), glunn (07-07-2014), h2oface (07-07-2014), kydoty (07-08-2014), Monkeypaws (07-07-2014), notoriousgod71 (07-07-2014), Reider (07-07-2014), sandbun (07-07-2014), SweetOne69 (07-07-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (07-07-2014), Taildragger8791 (07-07-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Awesome for him. I was a believer when they traded for him, but I trusted the Twins' coaches did what they could for him, and he was bad. Guess I was wrong. I remain convinced this is not the FO or staff to win with.
    Lighten up Francis....

5. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (07-07-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    What are the odds that Terry Ryan is seeing red right now? I can't believe he would shrug off something this obviously flawed in the Twins organization.

Despite his faults, he's not afraid to shoulder blame or hold people accountable and holy moly, if Worley turns back into a decent #3 pitcher, there should be a slew of people who are held accountable for not doing their bloody jobs.

7. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Come on, there is no accoutability here. The entirety of the actual coaches still have jobs, after three straight 90 loss seasons, and the chances of a fourth pretty decent. I just don't agree that there is a culture of accountability at all. YMMV.
    Lighten up Francis....

9. These 6 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (07-07-2014), h2oface (07-07-2014), JB_Iowa (07-07-2014), LewFordLives (07-07-2014), notoriousgod71 (07-07-2014), sandbun (07-07-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Come on, there is no accoutability here. The entirety of the actual coaches still have jobs, after three straight 90 loss seasons, and the chances of a fourth pretty decent. I just don't agree that there is a culture of accountability at all. YMMV.
    Ryan has openly said that the past two seasons are his fault, not Gardenhire's fault.

You may disagree with the assessment but that's accountability. He admitted that he didn't give his coach enough good players to succeed.

It's hard to blame Gardenhire for the past three seasons. He simply hasn't had good players to play every day. On the other hand, the pitching staff has underperformed badly the past three seasons (some of it was talent, some of it was underperformance), which *should* put Anderson on very thin ice.

For the record, I'm not much of a Gardenhire fan. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just think he's a middling coach that does some things right, other things wrong.

11. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Talk, imo, is cheap, Brock. Is his pay cut? Are his responsbilities decreased? Does he have a deadling to actually put good players on the field?

Look at the FA pitchers this FO has signed over the last 5 years or so, and ask yourself if you think they know what they are doing.
    Lighten up Francis....

13. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (07-07-2014), sandbun (07-07-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Talk, imo, is cheap, Brock. Is his pay cut? Are his responsbilities decreased? Does he have a deadling to actually put good players on the field?

Look at the FA pitchers this FO has signed over the last 5 years or so, and ask yourself if you think they know what they are doing.
    Do you routinely cut your employees' pay or demote them willy-nilly when they screw up but own the mistake?

Sometimes talk is all you can do after a mistake because the fix takes months, if not years, to implement.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    "Everything's there," Worley told the Daily News. "It was just this vs. that. I'm just glad that they believed in me and knew who I was and what I was capable of."
    -Vance Worley (while mooning the Twins)

16. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (07-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that accountability is not present in the organization. The only real exception is that ownership/corporate management liked Ryan better than Smith and made a change (back to the future), but the front office itself remained basically the same, just as the field staff has basically remained the same despite a bit of tweaking.

The Twins have had trouble acquiring enough talent and getting results from the talent they do have... the problems start at the top.

18. These 3 users like drivlikejehu's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (07-07-2014), LaBombo (07-09-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-07-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Anderson is to Gardy as Such was to Kelly. Not sure what the results will be. I could see this being an Ulger situation where Anderson is still retained in a different capacity and a new pitching coach is brought in. That's not a bad option if Anderson is retained in a way that maximizes his strengths...

That said, gotta echo Brock here. If a pitching coach cannot spot a mechanical flaw, he needs to be replaced.

20. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    After four years of mistakes? I don't know what I'd do.....but then, I've never thought Ryan was good at the MLB stuff, but is good at the minor league stuff.....

I don't routinely have guys that don't improve their outcomes for four years (look at the FA signings, which is one of the things the GM is accountable for, he is not accountable for the draft). Bartlett and Kubel and Pelfrey for two years?
    Lighten up Francis....

22. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (07-07-2014), LewFordLives (07-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ryan has openly said that the past two seasons are his fault, not Gardenhire's fault.
    I agree that it was Ryan's fault more so than the coaches. Still that's a pretty easy thing to say if your goal is to keep the on-field staff. It's basically the growing annoyance that is the "My bad" statement. I don't much care who's mistake it is, it needs to be fixed or the hammer will fall on all. If Ryan thinks that he himself is the problem, well, the solution is pretty clear. It's great that he recognized his fault but it means little if there are no consequences.

That being said, there clearly was a more concerted effort to improve the club through free agency this off season. Though some of it was misguided, I recognized the attempt, which was a welcome departure from character.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Little too early for Worley to be calling this a happy ending, but yeah he's got to be feeling better about himself at the moment.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    After four years of mistakes? I don't know what I'd do.....but then, I've never thought Ryan was good at the MLB stuff, but is good at the minor league stuff.....

I don't routinely have guys that don't improve their outcomes for four years (look at the FA signings, which is one of the things the GM is accountable for, he is not accountable for the draft). Bartlett and Kubel and Pelfrey for two years?
    I'm not sure how long some of you think it takes to rebuild a franchise. The Twins are in year three of Ryan returning to the club.

Theo Epstein signed with the Cubs within a month of Ryan's return.

Theo's record with the Cubs: 165-245

Ryan's record with the Twins: 171-240

If Terry Ryan should be fired, Theo Epstein should be super-duper double fired.

Or maybe it just takes time to rebuild a franchise when you're doing it through the farm and draft.

26. These 5 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

beckmt (07-07-2014), diehardtwinsfan (07-07-2014), glunn (07-07-2014), Halsey Hall (07-07-2014), TKGuy (07-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Happy for Worley but I have to say he sounds like a head case. He has no responsibility for working on his own problems while a Twin? Oh, wait, it was the wind.

I'm not a fan of Anderson by any means, but I'm not buying any stock in Worley yet.

28. These 2 users like big dog's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (07-07-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins can't afford to miss on any pitcher. Good luck Vance. I don't think you are the only one that the Twins management stopped believing in too soon.

Why believe in a 26 year old with previous major league success when there are scores of 30 year olds that go about their business the Twin way?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I agree that it was Ryan's fault more so than the coaches. Still that's a pretty easy thing to say if your goal is to keep the on-field staff. It's basically the growing annoyance that is the "My bad" statement. I don't much care who's mistake it is, it needs to be fixed or the hammer will fall on all. If Ryan thinks that he himself is the problem, well, the solution is pretty clear. It's great that he recognized his fault but it means little if there are no consequences.

That being said, there clearly was a more concerted effort to improve the club through free agency this off season. Though some of it was misguided, I recognized the attempt, which was a welcome departure from character.
    To me, it looked like an attempt to cover for your coaches, which good managers do when they feel they're the one who screwed up. I'm fine with that.

More importantly, Ryan went out and got Gardenhire and Anderson some pretty good players to help round out a club that had Joe Mauer and an emerging Brian Dozier. He then went out and picked up Morales to help mid-season.

That... Hasn't gone well. And after getting a somewhat competent core of players for Gardy to field, the results haven't followed.

And that means Gardy should be on the hot seat and Anderson should probably be handed his walking papers. I'm fine with giving guys one last chance and Ryan did that. Now it's time to start thinking about moving on.

31. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    How long should I wait? When I asked that question last year, people said 2014/5. I'd bet those same people would now say 2016 before you can judge his work. How long should we wait?

Should we just accept the awful job of adding players in FA over the last few years? Should we accept they had NO PLAN for CF this year if Hicks didn't work? Should we accept that during a rebuild they use veteran RP with no options left, rather than young players?

How and when should Ryan be held accountable for the success or failure of this team?

btw, I'm ok with people saying be patient, but there has to be a timeline for goals, or they are not goals.
    Lighten up Francis....

33. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LewFordLives (07-07-2014), notoriousgod71 (07-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you will need to wait a few years after they start to rebuild (roster young players and dump the decline phase). I am still waiting for them rebuild.

35. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (07-07-2014)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast