Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sinker: Pirates find Worley's mechanical flaw

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    To be clear: I would have promoted May before Meyer. I think early June was a good time to promote May (no pun intended), and like you say, now (or within a week) is the best time to promote Meyer.

I have a feeling we're going to be 2-3 months late on both counts, though -- potentially pushing Meyer's promotion into 2015 and requiring an extra veteran starter to be signed as insurance in the offseason, since we will have no MLB data on Meyer yet (and potentially very little on May).
    I also would have promoted May before Meyer but I think it's likely we see both this season (barring injury). With Correia leaving in the next three weeks and Nolasco being a question mark, the Twins are going to have open 25- and 40-man roster space. There's absolutely no reason not to give two of those 25-man slots to May and Meyer.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Major league data on a prospect, I love that idea.......
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Major league data on a prospect, I love that idea.......
    Antony is on record (and I'm pretty sure Ryan in the past has, too) that there is magnitude of difference between competition at AAA vs. MLB. Thus, there's ultimately only one way to evaluate a player's true state of major-league readiness.

Thus....It costs some service time to make a fully-informed decision.

So be it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    While it'd be nice to see, I think what's more likely is that the Twins hold off on promoting Meyer until they can move Correia and thereby clear up 40 man roster space.

It's really unfortunate that May got hurt. I think the Twins are eager to promote one of their better prospects but it's hard to do right now when you know 40 man space is going to open up soon.
    Why do you keep repeating that the Twins are eager to promote May? When it was obvious to the world that Pelfrey/Deduno were not permanent rotation fixtures over about 2 months, and May represented the best combo of current and future readiness in Rochester, the Twins made no apparent effort to get May into that spot, despite May already being on the 40-man roster. And just at the moment Deduno struggled enough to officially open the spot, the Twins ADDED a different guy to the 40-man to take it (Pino) and nominated May to essentially stay in the minors an extra 3+ weeks, at minimum, for the Futures Game.

And now you also suggest the Twins might want top pitching prospect Meyer on the team, but can't do it now due to a 40-man roster crunch... just 3 weeks after the Twins added a 30-year-old minor league journeyman to the 40-man roster, to promote ahead of May.

Pardon me if I am skeptical on both counts.

(An aside: why on earth would they care about Florimon's 40 man spot after his recent MLB appearance? What are the odds anyone even claims him? What are the odds the Twins even notice he's gone?)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why do you keep repeating that the Twins are eager to promote May? When it was obvious to the world that Pelfrey/Deduno were not permanent rotation fixtures over about 2 months, and May represented the best combo of current and future readiness in Rochester, the Twins made no apparent effort to get May into that spot, despite May already being on the 40-man roster. And just at the moment Deduno struggled enough to officially open the spot, the Twins ADDED a different guy to the 40-man to take it (Pino) and nominated May to essentially stay in the minors an extra 3+ weeks, at minimum, for the Futures Game.

And now you also suggest the Twins might want top pitching prospect Meyer on the team, but can't do it now due to a 40-man roster crunch... just 3 weeks after the Twins added a 30-year-old minor league journeyman to the 40-man roster, to promote ahead of May.

Pardon me if I am skeptical on both counts.

(An aside: why on earth would they care about Florimon's 40 man spot after his recent MLB appearance? What are the odds anyone even claims him? What are the odds the Twins even notice he's gone?)
    I believe the Twins are eager to see some of their better prospects play, particularly now that they've fallen out of contention. Notice that I said that as opinion, not fact. No need to get snippy about it.

As for 40 man space, teams often switch out position-for-position on 40 man roster moves. Should they care about such a thing? I don't know, it just seems to be how they operate at times. Either way, I think the Twins will hold back adding Meyer to the 40 man when they know that another pitcher will be removed from the 40 man in a couple of weeks. I, for one, will be very disappointed if Meyer doesn't take Correia's spot on the 25 man (or even May if he's ready, whatever, either one is fine).

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I also would have promoted May before Meyer but I think it's likely we see both this season (barring injury). With Correia leaving in the next three weeks and Nolasco being a question mark, the Twins are going to have open 25- and 40-man roster space. There's absolutely no reason not to give two of those 25-man slots to May and Meyer.
    I think it's a stretch to assume Correia will be traded this month, just because he has an expiring contract (especially with Nolasco on the shelf and Pino/Deduno already covering spots).

If TR is anything, he is rarely predictable in such transactions. Heck, dealing Morneau was fairly obvious but it took until the end of August to happen. Otherwise, who were the last starters dealt by the Twins at the deadline? Luis Castillo in 2007? Lawton for Reed in 2001? Dave Hollins and Roberto Kelly back in the 90's, but trade returns were a lot better back then.

EDIT: I forgot Liriano in 2012. Was probably easier to find a beneficial deal for him rather than Correia, though.
    Last edited by spycake; 07-09-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I believe the Twins are eager to see some of their better prospects play, particularly now that they've fallen out of contention. Notice that I said that as opinion, not fact. No need to get snippy about it.

As for 40 man space, teams often switch out position-for-position on 40 man roster moves. Should they care about such a thing? I don't know, it just seems to be how they operate at times. Either way, I think the Twins will hold back adding Meyer to the 40 man when they know that another pitcher will be removed from the 40 man in a couple of weeks.
    Didn't mean to come off as snippy, I just don't see the Twins are particularly eager to do anything with May and Meyer this season (except get them in the Futures Game).

And I really doubt the Twins are counting on opening Correia's 40-man spot -- that would indicate they plan to dump him via trade however possible. TR doesn't do dumps on a deadline -- he will hold on to the guy if the deal isn't right.

8. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (07-09-2014)

I think it's a stretch to assume Correia will be traded this month, just because he has an expiring contract (especially with Nolasco on the shelf and Pino/Deduno already covering spots).

If TR is anything, he is rarely predictable in such transactions. Heck, dealing Morneau was fairly obvious but it took until the end of August to happen. Otherwise, who were the last starters dealt by the Twins at the deadline? Luis Castillo in 2007? Lawton for Reed in 2001? Dave Hollins and Roberto Kelly back in the 90's, but trade returns were a lot better back then.

EDIT: I forgot Liriano in 2012. Was probably easier to find a beneficial deal for him rather than Correia, though.

Why would it be a stretch at all? A veteran with an expiring contract on a team out of contention and he for all intents and purposes he has pitched better as of late. I would almost say I think it would be a stretch to think he will finish this year on the team.

Liked 1,292 Times in 746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwainZag View Post
    Why would it be a stretch at all? A veteran with an expiring contract on a team out of contention and he for all intents and purposes he has pitched better as of late. I would almost say I think it would be a stretch to think he will finish this year on the team.
    I think the Twins are very willing to trade him. I'm a little more skeptical of what a team might give up to get him. I don't see him as the equivalent of Liriano because for all his problems and inconsistency, Liriano definitely had some pretty good upside.

Doesn't mean that Ryan won't be able to work a miracle but from what I've seen in the national media (can't find the articles back now), no one seems to have much interest in Correia. He's been better recently but who knows whether you would get Good Kevin or Bad Kevin.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brock you bring up the 40 man roster issue. I find part of the problem with the 40 man on the Twins (not to mention 25 man) is it contains too many guys that have no business on a building team. At this point the Twins should be completely focused on the future. If they have to cut someone like Guerrier to get Meyer up with the Twins and MLB experience so be it.

I know we're pretty much all in agreement May and Meyer need to be with the Twins, but my question (will start a new thread) is why does it take so long? They do this consistently with starting pitchers and it baffles me. May should have been up when Pelfrey went down because he is on the 40 man, was having a good year, repeated AA already, and a spot opened up. Instead, they gave starts to guys that have no future. That isn't what good teams do.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Lot of good points being made here, and not to be a drip, but I've got to dig back several pages for any mention of Worley.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Lot of good points being made here, and not to be a drip, but I've got to dig back several pages for any mention of Worley.
    The points being made are in relation to Worley being release in favor of several retreads. The news with Worley is over, he is a bad pitcher that will be exposed. I really had no problem getting rid of him, rather, the philosophy and practices the Twins are currently using.

The discussion has taken a much more interesting turn than discussing Worely IMO.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Who? . . . Oh yeah, that guy.

Not to beat the age horse, but it seems to make sense to be patient with guys like Worley (to an extent) when they are under 30, and maybe not as patient with players a bit longer in the tooth that don't seem to have it anymore (Kubel, Bartlett).

Ultimately, I don't think missing out on Worley is a big loss to the Twins. The age thing doesn't really matter that much either, assuming the performance is there. I just think being patient with players that are on the upward path towards their peak is better than patience for guys slowly (or quickly) sliding away from their peak years.

If they had Worley, would he have been up instead of Pino? Or would he have made that spot start instead of Kris Johnson? Or the call up to the pen instead of Logan Darnell? My guess is no on all counts...

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PA had Anderson on yesterday morning and asked him about Worley:
    http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-th...side-25006832/
    45:20 mark

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    PA had Anderson on yesterday morning and asked him about Worley:
    http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-th...side-25006832/
    45:20 mark
    Pretty sure listening to that program to get information is on the list for being awarded a Purple Heart.

Also, here is another link - it's at the 80:00 mark.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Pretty sure listening to that program to get information is on the list for being awarded a Purple Heart.
    Its not a program. Its a progrum

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Its not a program. Its a progrum
    That progrum is a worthy allocation of time. The one it was replaying was what I was referring to....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789