Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nolasco to the DL, Herrmann recalled

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Herrmann's having a good year at Rochester. He's on the 40-man and healthy. That he provides a third catcher is nice, but I really don't think it's the only reason why he got promoted. Hopefully, Santana and Mauer will be ready to go after the break. I expect many roster moves to be made, again especially if Mauer and Santana are ready to go.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    And it's a matter of historical fact that in any other organization it would be a much harder problem to fix than the manager's Catcher Injury Anxiety Disorder. But the Twins are likely to struggle just as hard to kick their Gardy addiction as they are to put offense on the field.
    You and I have different usages of the phrase "historical fact." But then, so does the History Channel.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

3. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (07-08-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,904 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    edit: Pinto too? He hasn't played since June 24. Out with hip stiffness. Damn.
    He was activated from the DL today.

5. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (07-09-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    He was activated from the DL today.
    Good, after a week to ten day (after the All-Star break), he should be good to go.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    You and I have different usages of the phrase "historical fact." But then, so does the History Channel.
    With the short-lived exceptions of two Hall of Fame mangers, no other non-expansion organization in baseball since WWII has retained its manager after three 90+ - loss seasons. The Twins have done it twice.

Kelly delivered two World Series wins. Gardenhire has delivered one of the lowest post-season win percentages ever.

Plus, three catchers. Time to move on.

8. These 3 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (07-08-2014), Sconnie (07-08-2014), twinsnorth49 (07-08-2014)

My Gripe isn't about Hermann being called up, it is Fryer still being here.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Herrmann's having a good year at Rochester. He's on the 40-man and healthy. That he provides a third catcher is nice, but I really don't think it's the only reason why he got promoted. Hopefully, Santana and Mauer will be ready to go after the break. I expect many roster moves to be made, again especially if Mauer and Santana are ready to go.
    I agree Hermann is having a good year and was playing the best at least hitting the best at Rochester. He offers the ability to play both corner outfield spots and catcher so that is a good option. If your going to go back to 12 pitchers and 13 position players even if it is for 6 more games why keep Fryer around. He isn't a viable pinch hitter or pinch runner and the only thing valuable he provides is catching and good defense. With the Offense struggling this much and Fuld ailing, why not give the Farris kid at AAA a chance. You could have easily dumped Florimon or Fryer off the 40 man and optioned Fryer to AAA, that seems like it is almost a no brainer move to make with Freyer's non-existent hitting and the need to get another center fielder a chance. There is no risk in designating Fryer or Florimon because the likelihood of either being claimed is less thn 1%.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seriously, Hermann? I can understand his place on the roster if you want to DH a capable backup C, but as the next best bat from the minors, yuck.

Not as offended by Hermann as much as let him be the real backup and call up something else for Fryer. Hermann & Fryer should not be on the roster together except for both Pinto & Suzuki being injured simultaneously.
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 07-08-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Herrmann as CF insurance? Has he even played that in the minors?

I don't see the point when you could just throw Plouffe or Arcia out there...
    When Herrmann was last sent down, Gardy said they were going to have him play some CF as insurance. Don't know if they actually played him there.

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    I think Herrmann's call-up is more about adding an outfielder than a catcher. He has 13 games in the Outfield at AAA this year (all in left and center).

With the Fuld collision with the wall, the Twins are undoubtedly being cautious.

And yes, it would be nice if there were other outfield options but the Twins are pretty thin at OF options. Here's hoping Santana comes back soon.

Edit: OOPS, his time in the outfield has been in right and left not center. (Mental glitch).
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 07-08-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Vargas is also back in PR waiting for his wife to deliver a child, so it would be a mixed blessing for him to be called up now. He would have been my choice, had the team actually asked me. Maybe they didn't find out my new phone number.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Here's the sad part...the three catchers jokes are all well and good and deserved....but Chris Hermann may be the only logical choice to call up. We're that shallow offensively.

And, to me, that's a much more serious problem.
    Oh I agree, the latter thought just depresses me more.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    When Herrmann was last sent down, Gardy said they were going to have him play some CF as insurance. Don't know if they actually played him there.
    He didn't, so Gardy doesn't know what he is talking about there either. He spent a lot of time catching, which is just as good.

Herrmann has to ultimately replace Fryer.

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts

And here's a little local explanation of flexor pronator strain:

http://www.sportsandortho.com/minnea...tor-strain.htm

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a temporary move only until after the all star break. Probably why they went this route, short term, least disruptive in the short term, only one start to fill in for.

Im a Herrmann fan and believer, no secret there. I think he will ultimately be a very solid C for us and multi position fill in with a decent bat. But it's true that he and Fryer don't need to be up at the same time. Again, it's only a short term move. But I'm still disappointed. Herrmann needs to continue to do what he's doing...playing and having success, not be jerked up to sit on the bench yet again.

Isnt there SOME MOVE that we could make that makes sense to give someone like Romero a shot?

And yes, Herrmann can and has played some CF. He's actually a pretty good athlete who played some CF in college, and also for the Twins when he was in A ball. Now, whether that makes him a better option than Parmelee if Fuld can't go I don't know.
    "Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."
    --Lou Brown

Blog Entries
    I'm actually glad to hear about Nolasco's injury. Not only because it appears to be relatively minor at this point, but I like a mild injury a heck of a lot better than signing a veteran pitcher to a record contract that doesn't fit it or just suddenly loses it. Still, if he had come forward sooner, I wonder if his rest and rehab might have been shorter and easier.
    --Lou Brown

19. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (07-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    I think bringing Herrmann up is less about a third catcher and more about another outfielder who could potentially play centerfield after Fuld banged into the fence hard yesterday.
    I think we all prefer Parmalee in CF. The season is almost already a wash...lets get crazy. An outfield of Collabello, Parmalee, and Willingham #worstoutfieldever

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Here's the sad part...the three catchers jokes are all well and good and deserved....but Chris Hermann may be the only logical choice to call up. We're that shallow offensively.

And, to me, that's a much more serious problem.
    Point well taken!

Then again, Colabello and Parmelee are already up.

Unless you you bring up Hicks or Polanco again, I guess Herrmann is the choice...unless you make a roster move of some sort. I guess the Twins didn't want to feel forced in to doing that for a week's worth of games at this point.

Someone mentioned trade. I will maintain I think if a Hammer or Correia takes place any time soon, a solid CF role player should be at the top of the list. Someone better than Presley. Someone who actually has a chance of helping us next season as well, as we fill in, mix and match, audition Rosario possibly, Hicks again maybe, while waiting for Buxton.

Sorry....rambling.
    --Lou Brown

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think bringing Herrmann up is less about a third catcher and more about another outfielder who could potentially play centerfield after Fuld banged into the fence hard yesterday.
    Correct, plus Herrmann has been very good offensively and defensively in Rochester. He's coming up as an outfielder.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Correct, plus Herrmann has been very good offensively and defensively in Rochester. He's coming up as an outfielder.
    Now I can go to sleep knowing that the Twins are on the right path...

24. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (07-08-2014), Sconnie (07-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post

Someone mentioned trade. I will maintain I think if a Hammer or Correia takes place any time soon, a solid CF role player should be at the top of the list. Someone better than Presley. Someone who actually has a chance of helping us next season as well, as we fill in, mix and match, audition Rosario possibly, Hicks again maybe, while waiting for Buxton.

Sorry....rambling.
    Let me see if I understand you correctly--the Twins should one of the few tradeable chips to obtain another 4th OF, one whose value is only for this wretched season? May I suggest spending some cash and reacquiring Joe Benson instead? Then the Twins may trade to acquire someone who might actually be part of the long term solution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast