Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Hump Day Happy Notes

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moderator note:

These are some nice things to think about.

The article begins with: "Things are pretty bleak for Twins fans these days." Let's not turn this thread into a debate about how bleak things are. Let's try to keep on topic -- happy notes. There are many other threads on TD for discussing unhappy notes, and you can start your own if you wish, but please don't derail this one.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wanted Salty over Suzuki, but he had definitely been a nice surprise. And I wanted Phil Hughes to sign with us since I had a feeling he would do well here. Didn't think he'd be this good though!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    6) Santana's been a very nice surprise in his time up here, or at least he's surprised me; I don't know if he'll avoid another trip to the minors this year, but he looks like he's for real.

Part of the reason I follow Twins Daily is to find the happy stories in the minors. I really like the direction things are going, we're starting to see that the high draft picks the Twins keep making are coming out of the gate very well. Those were picks they couldn't miss on and so far so good!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
    A huge happy note for me is that, when a SP goes down, which is an inevitability, we have palatable solutions: Johnson, Pino, May, Darnell, and Meyer have all made a case for themselves. Another is that we're in almost every game, with very few blowouts, and this indicates that we're pretty close to having enough talent to convert a lot of those close losses into wins. Much more fun this year to watch this team play.
    Last edited by birdwatcher; 07-09-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    I am excited to see what happens with Polanco. When does he get a promotion to AA? Will he continue to rake at NB? Also, the group of players that could eventually all be together at NB are loaded with talent. Buxton, Rosario, Berrios, Polanco, Vargas to name a few. Wow! The talent is starting to trickle towards the upper levels of the minors which gives hope for the big league club.

I've just plain enjoyed watching this team more than last year. Especially when Santana was playing. More exciting in general. Most people hate September when the team is out of the running but I like seeing the young guys come up and play. This should be a good September to see some of the future.

9. This user likes VandyTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kdrupp09 (07-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    I've just plain enjoyed watching this team more than last year. Especially when Santana was playing. More exciting in general. Most people hate September when the team is out of the running but I like seeing the young guys come up and play. This should be a good September to see some of the future.
    Hopefully over the next 2 months Buxton tears the cover off the ball so they give him a September call-up.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it wasn't for TwinsDaily informing me about what was going on with young guys coming up, I might have walked in front of traffic sometime in the last 3.5 years...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    I don't think things are that bleak unless you really thought the Twins would contend this year. Bleak was the 2nd half of 2011 when guys were dropping like flies and we were replacing them with guys that were doing poorly in the minors so all jokes aside we truly did end with a poor AAA team. Now we are almost wanting guys to get hurt so we can see the guys busting at the seams in the minors get their chance. The biggest position hole was shortstop and now we have a great choice of Nunez, Escobar, Santana and Polanco. Because of this log jam I kind of want a 2015 outfield of Rosario, Buxton and Santana with Polanco at short. I haven't given up on Arcia, Hicks and Parmalee and I have gone from anti Plouffe to pro Plouffe so if Sano develops that will also complicate things but in a good way. Vargas is also doing great and Pinto having a good stretch in AAA. I like building through the system and the system looks great.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
    How about an aggressive prediction for Gordon. After the Appy season ends he goes to Cedar Rapids for the last handful of games this year and then jumps to High A for the start of next season (all barring injury of course).

Nice story, thanks for pointing out some of the many positives. Don't forget about Buxton returning to Action and Sano's positive prognosis as positive headlines. Those are two of the most important storylines to monitor in my opinion.

OH! and Nick Burdi has struck out every batter he's retired in his past two appearances!!!
    Last edited by twinkiesfan11; 07-09-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Another thought

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Didn't know Gordon was doing so well - that is most EXCELLENT news.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know it's way too early, but how soon could we see Gordon in CR? Is it plausible he gets there this year?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The tip to check out Gordon caused me to notice that the second position player chosen this past June, Max Murphy, is even more killing the ball, batting .424 including 5 HR in 77 PA, for a positively sick 1.350 OPS. Don't talk to me about SSS - move over Byron Buxton, this guy plays CF too.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    I know it's way too early, but how soon could we see Gordon in CR? Is it plausible he gets there this year?
    Possible, yes... but unlikely. He's fresh out of high school so the earliest I think we see him at CR is next spring (and that's okay).

[QUOTE=twinkiesfan11;253484OH! and Nick Burdi has struck out every batter he's retired in his past two appearances!!![/QUOTE]

I had to read this twice to make sure I had it correctly. Every one of his 6 outs this season has come via a strikeout. Besides his first outing where he walked four guys in a row (all of which later scored), he has walked one and gave up two hits.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Big Nick Gordon fan, have been for months. Super happy he's in their system.

On the MLB front, super thrilled about Hughes. I liked the signing, but was nervous, very glad it is working out.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 657 Times in 370 Posts
    Even with the negatives about this offseason, Suzuki and Hughes represent enormously positive accomplishments for the front office this offseason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast