Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuddy will be a free agent soon...

Cuddy will be a free agent soon...

Michael Cuddyer's has a long history with the Twins. As one of the favorite players of fans and teammates alike in Twins territory, he will be a free agent once again following a season which has seen him placed on the 60 day disabled list. As Willingham will likely be traded, Hicks unable to adjust to MLB, Buxton missing most of 2014, and Rosario also missing a lot of time along with general ineffectiveness, there will likely be holes to be filled for the 2015 outfield. Really the only virtual lock for the outfield next season is Arcia.

At the beginning of the season there were hopes of a 2015 opening day outfield of Arcia, Hicks, and Buxton. That is quite unlikely now. Thus a Cuddyer reunion could make sense. A contract that could last at most three seasons, whether by options or not, could be of great use for the Twins. A leader and mentor for the young outfielders, a leader in the clubhouse as a whole, a fan favorite, a veteran who could help transition a club to its future as his career begins its finale, Cuddyer would be a pleasant upgrade for 2015, in my opinion.

Thoughts on the subject?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely not. His career right now might be over anyway with this injury. Even without it though, there is just too much risk of decline. And the Twins will roll with Buxton, Rosario, Hicks, and Arcia very soon.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope Cuddy gets a nice contract from a team other than the Twins
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    No interest at all. Stop signing old players with no future. Take flyers on young guys that might turn out. Zero. Nada. Nil. No interest at all.

Three seasons? that is a terrible idea for an old player that can't stay healthy.

Rosario in LF, Santana in CF, Arcia in RF to start the year. See what happens. Or, go get some AAA OF from someone for little cost.
    Lighten up Francis....

5. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

wagwan (07-10-2014)

Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    I'd be thrilled if they gave him a nice broadcasting contract. Player's contract? No.

7. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (07-09-2014), Tibs (07-09-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cuddyer is my all-time favorite player for many more reasons than his performance on the field. That said, I am pretty meh on a reunion with him. The price and years would have to be right.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They could hire Cuddy to go with TC to appearances and do magic tricks for the kids.
    I bent my wookie...

10. These 4 users like Gernzy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kirby_Waved_At_Me (07-09-2014), LimestoneBaggy (07-09-2014), mike wants wins (07-09-2014), tobi0040 (07-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Sentimentally, sure, sign him up for one year to be the 25th Man the way that Cleveland/Colorado have been using Jason Giambi - or if both Willingham and Morales are gone, I could see a case for signing him to be a full-time DH. I'd prefer the DH at-bats going to a combo of Parmelee/Kennys Vargas/Mauer/Pinto.

I agree with most here that the outfield spots should go to our prospects and young talent. Arcia is the only lock right now for 2015, I bet Danny Santana will get a long look to be the opening day CF, then it's Rosario/Hicks to fight it out to make the team. If they bring Fuld back he can still be a decent 4th outfielder.

Would be nice if they upgraded with a trade or free agency with a good LF.

Cuddy gets a sentimental vote from me, but I think ultimately it would be better for the Twins and Cuddyer to wait until his playing days are over for the reunion.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    If Cuddyer represents the best way to upgrade the lineup, go ahead and sign him.

What I don't want is for the Twins to sign him primarily for sentimental reasons. One of my biggest pet peeves with the Twins organization is their nostalgia at the expense of forward-thinking.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    No interest at all. Stop signing old players with no future. Take flyers on young guys that might turn out. Zero. Nada. Nil. No interest at all.

Three seasons? that is a terrible idea for an old player that can't stay healthy.

Rosario in LF, Santana in CF, Arcia in RF to start the year. See what happens. Or, go get some AAA OF from someone for little cost.
    Agreed. Put me in the camp of extremely leary of giving Gardy the option of an aging player that was good for him in the past. After the three this year, I have had my fix.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    They could hire Cuddy to go with TC to appearances and do magic tricks for the kids.
    After some thought, I can support this type of reunion.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I'd like to think Parmelee hits well enough to be considered the front runner for a corner spot next year and Arcia turns it around and is a lock for the other. If those things don't happen, I bet the Twins do take a long look at Cuddyer this offseason. Had he not hurt his shoulder, he was well on his way to another multi-year deal. With the injury, he may only get one now. The Twins surely would be curious, though I wish they'd move on.

There are a lot of ex-Twins on the market next year, Cuddyer, Torii Hunter, Francisco Liriano, JJ Hardy, Jesse Crain, Pat Neshak, AJ Pierzynski, Ryan Doumit, Alexi Casilla and Delmon Young are free agents while Denard Span has an option that will likely be declined and Nick Punto and LeTroy Hawkins have options that likely will be picked up.

I have great some memories of all of those guys (yes, even Delmon) but I know that the enjoyment of a reunion almost always comes at the expense of development of a younger player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Agreed. Put me in the camp of extremely leary of giving Gardy the option of an aging player that was good for him in the past. After the three this year, I have had my fix.
    I agree, and while Gardy doesn't seem as willing to change his philosophy, I will give the front office some credit for changing things when they are no longer working. Previously I thought they were too stubborn to change, but they've advanced minor leaguers quicker, they've concentrated on power arms in the draft and they gave out multi-year deals in free agency. I always thought they would not do these things simply because they were bullheaded.

I'm guessing Ryan and company have seen the disaster that was the reunion tour this year and may have second thoughts next year. Also, Rob Anthony was in charge when the rosters were set coming out of spring training. He seems to be more of a numbers guy than a baseball guy and may have leaned on Gardy for advice in putting the 25 man together. If Gardy had told Ryan that he wanted to bring Bartlett and Kubel north, Ryan may have told him no, though we'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd like to think Parmelee hits well enough to be considered the front runner for a corner spot next year and Arcia turns it around and is a lock for the other. If those things don't happen, I bet the Twins do take a long look at Cuddyer this offseason. Had he not hurt his shoulder, he was well on his way to another multi-year deal. With the injury, he may only get one now. The Twins surely would be curious, though I wish they'd move on.

There are a lot of ex-Twins on the market next year, Cuddyer, Torii Hunter, Francisco Liriano, JJ Hardy, Jesse Crain, Pat Neshak, AJ Pierzynski, Ryan Doumit, Alexi Casilla and Delmon Young are free agents while Denard Span has an option that will likely be declined and Nick Punto and LeTroy Hawkins have options that likely will be picked up.

I have great some memories of all of those guys (yes, even Delmon) but I know that the enjoyment of a reunion almost always comes at the expense of development of a younger player.
    off topic, but this is my favorite Delmon memory:

18. These 8 users like Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (07-09-2014), Monkeypaws (07-10-2014), nicksaviking (07-09-2014), snepp (07-10-2014), Tibs (07-09-2014), twinsnorth49 (07-09-2014), TwinsTerritory (07-09-2014), USAFChief (07-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Anyone notice that Delmon is quitely having a pretty decent year as a platoon player?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    We need to get away from nostalgia deals, this season should've been a fine lesson in that.

21. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kirby_Waved_At_Me (07-09-2014), mike wants wins (07-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    We need to get away from nostalgia deals, this season should've been a fine lesson in that.
    Of all the former Twins listed, I think Neshek and Denard have the best chance to provide meaningful value to the 2015 team. I don't think the Twins should try to sign any of them.

If Span is willing and able to play in Left Field, there's value there.

But no to Cuddyer, no to Torii, no to Hardy and the rest - we can still have fond memories and those players without giving them a roster spot.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 336 Times in 165 Posts
    NO it's time to bring in or up some guys that can play defense. Slow footed guys like Cuddy, Arcia, Willy, Parmalee and Colobello do not belong in a good outfield. Unless we get a bunch of miss the bat pitchers we need serious up grades in our outfield defense, imo.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

24. These 2 users like Winston Smith's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (07-09-2014), wagwan (07-10-2014)

Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I wouldn't be opposed to Cuddyer on a one or two yr deal as long as everyone, including Cuddyer, understands he is not going to be a regular starter.

The minor leagues are never going to supply the Twins with everything needed to be a good team. Even if several minor leaguers develop into good major league regulars, the Twins are still going to need to supplement the roster from outside the organization. Given a return to health, I think Cuddyer can still be a useful player on a good team.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    I think Cuddy could make a fine coach in the organization at some point, and would enjoy seeing him in that capacity. Bartlett too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast