Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Hu's on first? No, he's pitching (for the Kernels)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Hu's on first? No, he's pitching (for the Kernels)

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Great update on what is happening down in CR. I'm excited to see what Hu can do. I like that the Twins have been scouting in Taiwan, and I'm hoping some of these signings will pan out.

Do you have a scouting report for Hu? I'd love to hear about what kind of pitches he throws.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Congrats to all the guys promoted!
    Lighten up Francis....

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the great articles on the Kernels. I always enjoy reading first hand reports on our minor league teams and you do a great job in CR. Many of these players may never reach the MLB, but it is still exciting to learn more about the players in the Twins system and to follow their progress..

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for a good report.

Thanks. Great article. Nice to read about these kids from somebody who is there. The guys who have played for the Kernels over the last year and a half have started to move up thru the organization (like Polanco) and have continued to impress. In a couple of seasons (maybe Sept. 2015) we can begin seeing them regularly with the Twins and helping the Twins become a contender.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why was Mildren promoted instead of Stewart?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Why was Mildren promoted instead of Stewart?
    More ready.

9. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (07-09-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Great update on what is happening down in CR. I'm excited to see what Hu can do. I like that the Twins have been scouting in Taiwan, and I'm hoping some of these signings will pan out.

Do you have a scouting report for Hu? I'd love to hear about what kind of pitches he throws.
    From the Minnesota Twins Prospect Handbook 2014 (available in paperback and e-book):

A sturdy 6-1 (210), Hu can reach back and hit 95, though he sat typically in the low-90s. He also has a sharp, 12-6 breaking curveball. He already has a good feel for his changeup, and he also throws a palm ball. The Twins were enamored with his ability to command his pitches and pound the strike zone. He has a tough mentality on the mound, and is definitely a confident pitcher.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for not responding to comments earlier. My head was pretty much buried in budget work at the office today and just now noticed the post had been promoted.

Thanks for responding to a couple of those questions, Seth. I agree Mildren was more ready than Stewart. If anything, Slegers might have been a closer second among the rotation members for consideration of a promotion.

I think we've discussed this before, but I just don't expect Stewart to do anything but finish out the year in CR. They're still clearly limiting pitches with an eye toward making sure his arm is not overtaxed through the end of the season. SPs promoted to Ft Myers are more likely to be the college guys or pitchers with multiple pro seasons already.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Thanks. Great article. Nice to read about these kids from somebody who is there. The guys who have played for the Kernels over the last year and a half have started to move up thru the organization (like Polanco) and have continued to impress. In a couple of seasons (maybe Sept. 2015) we can begin seeing them regularly with the Twins and helping the Twins become a contender.
    I agree and look forward to seeing some Kernels in Target Field soon.

For now, I'll have to be satisfied with driving up to watch Kernels alum Jose Berrios in the Futures Game on Sunday. Should be fun.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Nice article with an awesome headline. It's a shame Dakota Watts was released - you could have used "Watts on 2nd? No, he's pitching too." Maybe you got that one in and I didn't see it.
    Last edited by gil4; 07-10-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: grammar/typo

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Nice article with an awesome headline. It's a shame Dakota Watts was released - you could have used "Watts on 2nd? No, he's pitching too." Maybe you get that one in and I didn't see it.
    Is Watts still around? I don't know.

(All together now...)

THIRD BASE!