Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Transactions ahead?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    I like Mr. Brooks line of thought... would you trade Sano for Dozier? My answer is an overwhelming NO, and Addison is a better prospect at this point (who plays a premium defensive position).
    I love Dozier but I'd trade him for Sano in a heartbeat.

2. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (07-11-2014), stringer bell (07-11-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins Sweep Colorado they will be 45-49 heading into the break. We play Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Whitesox, and Kansas City. If we go 9-4 in those 13 games we are at 54-53. Do we go in sell mode at that? This is the easiest stretch of the schedule we have so at worst we should be 52-55. I don't know if I would want to sell at that point as I would rather see if we can be a better than .500 team this year. We have so many prospects that if all we can get is a c prospect, I might rather keep the player and see if we can win. Corriea might be the only exception as he may be blocking talent from arriving if Nolasco comes back healthy. But I wouldn't trade Corriea until after Nolasco is back.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If the Twins Sweep Colorado they will be 45-49 heading into the break. We play Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Whitesox, and Kansas City. If we go 9-4 in those 13 games we are at 54-53. Do we go in sell mode at that? This is the easiest stretch of the schedule we have so at worst we should be 52-55. I don't know if I would want to sell at that point as I would rather see if we can be a better than .500 team this year. We have so many prospects that if all we can get is a c prospect, I might rather keep the player and see if we can win. Corriea might be the only exception as he may be blocking talent from arriving if Nolasco comes back healthy. But I wouldn't trade Corriea until after Nolasco is back.
    While I appreciate your sentiment, I hope the Twins don't fall into this trap. It seems like at various times over the last 3 years, they just couldn't decide if they were buyers or sellers.

I've seen enough to believe that they are not a playoff-worthy team. That makes them sellers to me and I hope that TR take advantage of it.

5. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am on board. The Twins need to sweep the Rockies on the way to a 12-4 record in the next 16 games to roll with this season. Anything short of that performance and the Twins sell aggressively. Sign me up.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    If the Twins Sweep Colorado they will be 45-49 heading into the break. We play Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Whitesox, and Kansas City. If we go 9-4 in those 13 games we are at 54-53. Do we go in sell mode at that? This is the easiest stretch of the schedule we have so at worst we should be 52-55.
    This is most definitely not the worst case scenario. In any case if you have to imagine going 12-4 to be a fringe contender......you aren't a contender.

8. These 3 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Badsmerf (07-11-2014), mike wants wins (07-11-2014), Oxtung (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Another favorite potential trading partner of mine, chock full of pitching prospects, and with specific needs that match with the Twins potential trade subjects:

Suzuki, Dozier and possibly Correia (KC's numbers, although admittedly smoke and mirrors, over June and July, are near as good as Baltimore's 3 best SPs and much better than the bottom 3- Ubaldo, Chen, Gonzalez).

And if they want to dump Delmon, there's Willingham as a replacement.
    If we only had Bud Norris to dangle for Dylan Bundy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    While I appreciate your sentiment, I hope the Twins don't fall into this trap. It seems like at various times over the last 3 years, they just couldn't decide if they were buyers or sellers.

I've seen enough to believe that they are not a playoff-worthy team. That makes them sellers to me and I hope that TR take advantage of it.
    I completely agree. I wish they knew what they were then and are now. We need to take a real hard look at this roster and conclude this isn't a team that is going to go 52-19 to close out this year and end with the 94 win pace the Tigers are on. I am guessing it takes at least 89-90 wins for the second wild card, this just isn't happening.

Let's move towards 2015. Trade KC, Josh, Morales, and Suzuki (if you get a nice haul for Suzuki and he doesn't want to sign a reasonable extension) and bring up Meyer and May. Time to get on with it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hate to pile on, but anytime you have to start with "If the Twins sweep..." you're really reaching. It's possible, but unlikely.

I don't see much reason to rule out trading anyone, but that also doesn't mean have a firesale. With Dozier you want to be very careful, he's proven his ability to play well in the majors at this point and still has years of team control. Proven major league ability trumps prospect status which is why he's worth a lot in a trade and demands a very good return. But if somebody offers up a really good package it does look like we have prospects that can fill the position that are just about ready. Escobar can fill the position for a bit, too, once Santana's back. There's never a guarantee with prospects or trades, though and that's why the offer for Dozier has to be really good. He's been pretty much our only consistently decent hitter for the last year+.

Blog Entries
    Hasn't Colorado lost 17 of their last 20? that's where the increase in possibility of a sweep against them comes from. The Twins have their record against better competition then they are playing right now to get to the record they have. I think if they are around .500 at the deadline they should sit still and not move everyone. What do you expect them to be able to get? we have lots of prospects but wouldn't it be better to build a foundation of winning that the prospects coming up can move into than getting a C level prospect at best in a trade?

I think if they are around .500 at the deadline they should sit still and not move everyone. What do you expect them to be able to get? we have lots of prospects but wouldn't it be better to build a foundation of winning that the prospects coming up can move into than getting a C level prospect at best in a trade?
    The guys we want to trade (other than maybe Suzuki) are unlikely to be Twins anymore after September. So getting a C level prospect is better than nothing. And it clears them out of the way for younger players the last two months.

This isn't a contending team. Even a flukey 16 game stretch going 12-4 isn't going to change that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 328 Times in 206 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the easiest stretch of the schedule we have so at worst we should be 52-55.
    At worst, we should win 13 of 19 games?

Love your optimism, but man.

And at 52-55, that winning percentage would still likely leave us 4th place in the division, 10 games behind Detroit, and 5 games (and 5 teams) behind the 2nd wild card.

All of this at the conclusion of, by far, our best stretch of baseball for the season.

I just can't see any way we're not sellers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Escobar can fill the position for a bit, too, once Santana's back.
    Don't look now, but Escobar's down to an 87 OPS+, with a sub-.300 OBP.

And Danny Santana's line? Virtually identical to that of Escobar on June 1st, right down to the K/BB rates.

Our next closest infield prospect is struggling in AA.

OK, I think I've convinced myself not to trade Dozier.

16. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The guys we want to trade (other than maybe Suzuki) are unlikely to be Twins anymore after September. So getting a C level prospect is better than nothing. And it clears them out of the way for younger players the last two months.
    Agreed, but outside of Suzuki, our other trade chips may be lucky to net a C level prospect. That's basically what we got for Morneau (although in the form of 2 marginal 40-man guys), and it took until the end of August with the Pittsburgh GM twisting the owner's arm to add $2 mil salary. Morales is basically due the same money as Morneau last year ($2 mil per month), and Willingham and Correia are both due around $1 million per month.

Other teams have expiring contract vets too; there are simply more sellers than buyers.

I feel like Suzuki is our one great trade hope, at this point. Good season, key position, low salary.

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Agreed, but outside of Suzuki, our other trade chips may be lucky to net a C level prospect.
    And that's fine. I could care less about the return, it's more about doing the right thing and clearing them off the roster for younger players.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't look now, but Escobar's down to an 87 OPS+, with a sub-.300 OBP.

And Danny Santana's line? Virtually identical to that of Escobar on June 1st, right down to the K/BB rates.

Our next closest infield prospect is struggling in AA.

OK, I think I've convinced myself not to trade Dozier.
    Without a doubt, trading Dozier would be a very strange move, thus the need for a ridiculously good offer. I can't see much likelihood anybody offers anything close to good enough. If somebody offered up a Miguel Sano-level prospect plus more, I'd think about it. If they offered up a Kohl Stewart-level prospect I hang up and move on.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    And that's fine. I could care less about the return, it's more about doing the right thing and clearing them off the roster for younger players.
    You may actually have to eat salary too. Don't know if it's worth it for the hitters, they don't seem to be blocking anyone too important. I could see Correia, Burton, and Guerrier doing some blocking, but they'd probably be the toughest to give away too (even free, their value to a contender is minimal).

Don't know if I would go so far as to release any of them...

You may actually have to eat salary too. Don't know if it's worth it for the hitters, they don't seem to be blocking anyone too important. I could see Correia, Burton, and Guerrier doing some blocking, but they'd probably be the toughest to give away too (even free, their value to a contender is minimal).

Maybe....I just doubt any of these guys are being paid enough that their contracts are going to be an obstacle.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I love Dozier but I'd trade him for Sano in a heartbeat.
    I don't want to put words in TRex's mouth, but the way I read this was that, if we didn't have Dozier, would we trade Sano to get him? And TRex seems to have answered no, a sentiment that you and I would agree with.

Frankly, if Addison Russell were to be had for Dozier, I would have a real hard time stopping myself from pulling the trigger, and I do love the way Dozier plays the game.

Of course, we don't know what's on offer for Dozier, but all it takes is one desperate GM.

Blog Entries
    Who exactly is Willingham and Morales blocking on the roster? Pinto is in AAA to work on catching. Vargas is in AA. which bat is left to call up? if your thinking Herman whats the point of that?

Blog Entries

I bet Guerrier will be back on the team next year. He's having a great season.

I'll admit that Corriea is blocking May and or Meyer so trading him makes sense regardless of being in contention or not once we get Nolasco back.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast