Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Transactions ahead?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Who exactly is Willingham and Morales blocking on the roster? Pinto is in AAA to work on catching. Vargas is in AA. which bat is left to call up? if your thinking Herman whats the point of that?
    There is a good chance Vargas is up. Rosario as well. Pinto will almost certainly be up by September.

What's the point of keeping dead weight on the roster?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Maybe....I just doubt any of these guys are being paid enough that their contracts are going to be an obstacle.
    Well, Morales is making the same money as Morneau last year, and we all witnessed the struggle that went down to the wire in late August to get Pittsburgh to take his salary on in exchange for two likely 40-man roster cuts. And Morneau was probably a more useful/productive player at that time than most of the Twins current trade assets (sans Suzuki and maybe Fien).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Well, Morales is making the same money as Morneau last year, and we all witnessed the struggle that went down to the wire in late August to get Pittsburgh to take his salary on in exchange for two likely 40-man roster cuts. And Morneau was probably a more useful/productive player at that time than most of the Twins current trade assets (sans Suzuki and maybe Fien).
    You're right about Morales. The rest I'm doubtful will have their contracts matter at all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're right about Morales. The rest I'm doubtful will have their contracts matter at all.
    Pittsburgh was waffling over paying Morneau ~$2 mil for the final month last year. If we are talking July 31st deadline, Willingham will make more than $2 mil over the final two months, Correia almost $2 mil. Even Burton will be due over $1 mil during that time.

That's not insignificant cash, when you are talking about such marginal players.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Marginal players also equals insignificant ones as well, why do the owners continue to spend such large sums on these types? It simply defies the imagination, doesn't it?

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    No chance the Twins trade Dozier, but I certainly endorse the Suzuki to Baltimore idea.
    I dunno, when you lose 90 + games three years in a row and counting, no established player is, or should be, off limits.
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Marginal players also equals insignificant ones as well, why do the owners continue to spend such large sums on these types? It simply defies the imagination, doesn't it?
    Disagree, free agent contracts are what they are. It's a market, and you pay to play.
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
    There is a good chance Vargas is up. Rosario as well. Pinto will almost certainly be up by September.

What's the point of keeping dead weight on the roster?
    The FO doesn't seem enthralled with him but I'd love to see Deibinson Romero called up for a while. He could slot in at DH if Morales is gone (which only happens if this recent surge continues for the next month.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I dunno, when you lose 90 + games three years in a row and counting, no established player is, or should be, off limits.
    I wouldn't say he is off limits, I just don't see a scenario where he gets moved.

Players in his position, still pre-arb, very rarely get moved in season because it is so hard to get enough in return without getting an mlb player (and a team acquiring him likely doesn't have a mlb caliber player to spare). He will have pretty much the same value in the offseason as he will now so there is no rush.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier has years of team control ahead, that is what makes him so valuable. Twins also have about 2 years before they are ready to contend. Moving a player now is a smart move. We need to see what we have. Dozier would have to be a major piece or two coming back, he is very valueable.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456