Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Need Dozier To Snap Out Of Funk

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Need Dozier To Snap Out Of Funk

Liked 1,288 Times in 743 Posts
    I've really seen the HR derby as a mixed blessing. Dozier seems like he needs a few solid days off and a trip home to Mississippi may have rejuvenated him.

Now I guess we'll see. There are so many dangers in the "swing for the fences" approach of the Derby and there have to be reasons why a lot of players decline to participate.

Hopefully the fun of being around the best in the game will offset this for Dozier and he'll be able to get back to what he was doing well.

3. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (07-09-2014)

Its rediculous that Dozier is in hr contest rather than Abreau from White Sox. Love Dozier but this is wrong.

Curious that Cruz, Martinez, Abreu aren't among All Star HR participants!

Liked 1,288 Times in 743 Posts
    Abreu turned down the HR derby: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/28552...run-derby.html

Cruz also turned it down: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...home-run-derby

As did Cabrera, Trout and others.

Can't force them to participate.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    May sound silly but I always thought the home run derby and the all star game was part of the reason for Morneau's decline in 2008 especially given the fact that he played 163 games that year. He was just worn out by September which cost us a playoff spot and an MVP trophy for Justin.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could his decline in performance be a result of not getting days off? It seems like who is in the lineup every day. I can't recall who is the backup 2nd basemen. It must be Escobar.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 163 Posts
    I think it might be he is just settling back to his norm. The homeruns have kind of come out of nowhere the last two years. Nine was the most he ever had in the Minors. While his OBP has improved the ave. has stayed fairly constant.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    It seems to me Dozier takes a lot of belt high fastballs, and let's it loose on the one's up in the zone, some way up. Hopefully he's not up there trying to jack it out, but just get on base. Hit singles, take the doubles when they come and build on that. He needs to be a lot better than hitting in the .230's.

And now the joke of the homerun contest? No way should he participate in that. He's messed up enough now anyway, and I do agree that the time off and heading home might help. I don't know how sticking around and trying to jack can possibly help him straighten out his mess in the box.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Dozier's participation ruins that already menacing .230 average, I will be really disappointed. Hard to understand him even being invited, and more hard to understand Dozier accepting.

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Dozier has hit a decent number of HRs and plays for the host team...and a lot of other players already turned Bautista down. I don't get where the disbelief over his being invited comes from. And can we please stop perpetuating the "HR derby screws up your swing" myth? It's conventional wisdom that is not supported by evidence, except evidence of a guy like Abreu going on a ridiculous tear before the ASG, then returning to normal after.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are fortunate the Twins didn't extend him while he was so hot.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier topped out at about .260 BA and well into the .800s for OPS IIRC. Certainly a drop of 25 BA points is substantial, but I guess I never thought he was "so hot". The power has diminished and the walks have slowed down the past week to ten days. I thought the four days off would be helpful (still do), but he might never hit for a high average with his current offensive approach.

I think it's awesome he's in hr derby and we'll deserving. As far as contracts go and not extending him. That's crazy! Who would u rather have at 2b? Leading league in runs, solid on base, on pace for 30-30 all while playing great D. Sure he's slowed a little but 162 game season has peaks and valleys for every player. I for one am glad we have him and hope he's stays in a twins uniform his whole career

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernMiss twins fan View Post
    I think it's awesome he's in hr derby and we'll deserving. As far as contracts go and not extending him. That's crazy! Who would u rather have at 2b? Leading league in runs, solid on base, on pace for 30-30 all while playing great D. Sure he's slowed a little but 162 game season has peaks and valleys for every player. I for one am glad we have him and hope he's stays in a twins uniform his whole career
    Related or just from his college?

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Related or just from his college?
    From same college as Doz but I'm older. We played golf together when he was in school here . He such a like able guy I've been following him and rooting for him ever since. So now I'm a huge twins fan. Love the fan base . First my boy Farve was a Viking now doz a twin. You see a lot of people down here rocking Minnesota stuff. Anyways I probably sound like a homer but I truly feel Doz is going to be a star and twins are building into a contender next cpl years.

18. This user likes SouthernMiss twins fan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernMiss twins fan View Post
    From same college as Doz but I'm older. We played golf together when he was in school here . He such a like able guy I've been following him and rooting for him ever since. So now I'm a huge twins fan. Love the fan base . First my boy Farve was a Viking now doz a twin. You see a lot of people down here rocking Minnesota stuff. Anyways I probably sound like a homer but I truly feel Doz is going to be a star and twins are building into a contender next cpl years.
    Love it, SouthernMiss! Stick around with us. I hope Doz is with us a long time!

Thanks longdistance! Me too and as much as I love my boy Doz, no matter what happens I'm a twins fan 4 life.

21. These 2 users like SouthernMiss twins fan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Longdistancetwins (07-11-2014), stringer bell (07-11-2014)